[1.12.x] Parallax - PBR Terrain and Surface Objects [2.0.2]

Gameslinx

Hello, i've been doing some test but i can't find the setting to change this:

1.- When capturing a planet, surface textures load as i come closer. I would like to see the full quality textures since i enter it's S.O.I., if possible.
2.- Scatters just pop in when i come closer to the terrain. Maybe i can load them when i'm higher cause it feels weird seeing a flat surface and then a huge number of scatters when you are about 3000m. Maybe it could be loaded higher, but idk how to do that or if it's possible.

I tried looking for info in the wiki but i didn't found nothing. Someone knows how to change that?

19 hours ago, NaviG said:

1.- When capturing a planet, surface textures load as i come closer. I would like to see the full quality textures since i enter it's S.O.I., if possible.
2.- Scatters just pop in when i come closer to the terrain. Maybe i can load them when i'm higher cause it feels weird seeing a flat surface and then a huge number of scatters when you are about 3000m. Maybe it could be loaded higher, but idk how to do that or if it's possible.

I tried looking for info in the wiki but i didn't found nothing. Someone knows how to change that?

You have a supercomputer?
You need one to do what you want

21 hours ago, NaviG said:

I changed my settings so that I have like 3 times as the default range. You need to go into the config files and just read it. Its pretty easy to change those in a line or two of the config file.

On 3/10/2023 at 6:55 AM, BIOZ said:

Hi, @R33. Here it is https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UtvgKx3omym0C-XmU5mwSqNe6vb7426p/view

This config doesn't contain Earth. As I understand, right now Parallax has some problems with cbNameLater detection, which Earth depends on (or maybe it's just me stupid). I fixed it in my own dll, so if it's a real problem I'm sure it will be fixed properly very soon.

Actually I didn't planned to make my configs public, so I optimized them for my GTX 1660. If you have better/worse hardware, you can tweak the numbers in my cfg. Also afaik BallisticFox was planning to make Parallax configs for both KSRSS and RSS, so I recommend to check KSRSS thread from time to time ;).

Hi, I've been trying to use this for my rss mod list but it seems like parallax in its entirety isn't working when I "follow" the instructions.  Here are the directories for the krss files: ParallaxRSS\KSRSS\ParallaxTerrain.cfg, ParallaxRSS\KSRSS\ParallaxSubdivision.cfg,  ParallaxRSS\KSRSS\Scatters\05-Mars, ParallaxRSS\KSRSS\Scatters\03_Earth, ParallaxRSS\KSRSS\Scatters\01-Mercury.

I'm having an issue with Parallax with my modded Ksp game; the issue is that the black screen with the orbiting planets keeps orbiting when Parallax is installed; when I remove Parallax from my gamedata folder, my game works fine.

I would like to have my game work with Parallax installed.  Please help me 

log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zokld7pnm6mnoz2/KSP.log?dl=0

On 3/10/2023 at 7:55 AM, BIOZ said:

Hi, @R33. Here it is https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UtvgKx3omym0C-XmU5mwSqNe6vb7426p/view

This config doesn't contain Earth. As I understand, right now Parallax has some problems with cbNameLater detection, which Earth depends on (or maybe it's just me stupid). I fixed it in my own dll, so if it's a real problem I'm sure it will be fixed properly very soon.

Actually I didn't planned to make my configs public, so I optimized them for my GTX 1660. If you have better/worse hardware, you can tweak the numbers in my cfg. Also afaik BallisticFox was planning to make Parallax configs for both KSRSS and RSS, so I recommend to check KSRSS thread from time to time ;).

Edit: Update https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GRbAlGB4DWfu_uNoTgedpBhU6roWpMc_/view

OH MY GOD thank you so much! this is the ticket! I was looking at this yesterday and was getting so frustrated lol

Edited by KAO

On 3/10/2023 at 7:55 AM, BIOZ said:

Edit: Update https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GRbAlGB4DWfu_uNoTgedpBhU6roWpMc_/view

Someone in the RP-1 server has pointed me towards this point, and I would first like to say thanks for actually making configs for RSS. (and making them public) Second, I have some questions about the way I install your config.

1. The install text included with the file makes me think that only the configs for the Earth system, the Mars system, and Mercury are included, is this true?

2. Also related to the install text, does your config replace the files that it tells me to delete? I'd assume so, but I'm a little cautious about deleting files.

Edited by Clayel

Hi, @Clayel! You're welcome ^_^
1. Yes. My cfg only rescale KSRSS configs, do not add any planet. And the only way I managed to get Earth to work is through dll editing, so right now Earth config is turned off.
2. No. My files do not replace any other file. But the configs in those RSS and Parallax files interfere with KSRSS ones. I think I could clean it, but it's way easier just to delete the files or change the extension, like to 'IncreaseSubdivisionCount.cfga' (ModuleManager reads cfg only).

2 hours ago, BIOZ said:

Hi, @Clayel! You're welcome ^_^
1. Yes. My cfg only rescale KSRSS configs, do not add any planet. And the only way I managed to get Earth to work is through dll editing, so right now Earth config is turned off.
2. No. My files do not replace any other file. But the configs in those RSS and Parallax files interfere with KSRSS ones. I think I could clean it, but it's way easier just to delete the files or change the extension, like to 'IncreaseSubdivisionCount.cfga' (ModuleManager reads cfg only).

Thanks for responding! One more question, do you plan on making custom scatters for the RSS planets themselves?

Edited by Clayel

11 hours ago, Clayel said:

do you plan on making custom scatters for the RSS planets themselves?

I think so. Actually I didn't plan it will become something big, it was a temporary solution just to sit and wait until the real config come out. And if I will create my own config, it will be made from the scratch, rescaling KSRSS is not good everywhere.

On 2/27/2023 at 11:05 PM, BIOZ said:

Hey. I probably found the part which breaks tessellation on Earth. I've changed this line in ParallaxOptimized.SubdivisionData.DetermineMaterial()

ParallaxBody body = ParallaxBodies.parallaxBodies[quad.sphereRoot.name];

to

ParallaxBody body = ParallaxBodies.parallaxBodies[FlightGlobals.currentMainBody.name];

Every planet I checked working good now.
Damn infinite terran forests look so beautiful (although I get true KSP2 fps experience ;)).

Reveal hidden contents

IsmHdb0.jpg

Hi, @jd284. I can post my WIP, but I'm using KSRSS configs and I don't want to redistribute their code. I can share my own code, but you have to download some KSRSS configs from GitLab (configs only, no models nor textures). If you ok, I'll write the exact instructions for installation.

Hi, Thank you very much for your config for RSS! What do I need to do to turn Earths config on? I already edited the  ParallaxOptimized.dll as you mentioned.

On 6/25/2023 at 6:33 AM, Namelesstiara said:

Hi, Thank you very much for your config for RSS! What do I need to do to turn Earths config on? I already edited the  ParallaxOptimized.dll as you mentioned.

Would you mind sharing how you made the edits? I have the source files downloaded but I don't know how the project should be setup to recompile the dll.

Edited by roun1

This module is very useful, but I would like to know if it is possible to customize and cancel some planet changes, such as the red crystal on IKE, which is not friendly to me. If possible, I suggest that you change a large module package into multiple small module packages, such as the Kerbin package and Mun package, just like the GU module. Those who need it can pick it up themselves, which is also a good thing for users with lower computer configurations.

Edited by fflppl

Hello! I ran into a problem while using Parallax. I get some sort of terrain texture tearing when looking down from upper parts of the atmosphere/low orbit. I suspect that it might be a GPU problem, I use an RX6600XT with latest drivers, if that helps. Images included. It may be hard to spot too
GCLBj4L.jpglW7P1oN.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

@BIOZ have you experienced this sort of ground tearing? it's like it's way too wrinkly 

EDIT: solution found, install Scatterer Version 0.0835, or lower maxTessellation in ParallaxGlobalConfig (around 1-10 is good) 

xq7rbxU.png

Edited by KAO

No, that never happened to me.

On 8/5/2023 at 12:10 PM, KAO said:

solution found, install Scatterer Version 0.0835, or lower maxTessellation in ParallaxGlobalConfig (around 1-10 is good)

Thanks. I'll see what I can do if I'll encounter it. I can probably recommend to tweak _displacement_scale or _displacement_offset in Parallax/Body/Textures, it affects the curvature of terrain too.