[1.12.x] Parallax - PBR Terrain and Surface Objects [2.0.8]

Gameslinx

8 hours ago, SergeantBlueforce said:

Is there any way to use only the scatter objects in this mod without the terrain tessellation? The latter always causes objects to visually clip into the ground.

You can turn tessellation off by changing your terrain shader quality (in the main menu settings) to High. Ultra enables tessellation. There is no other difference between the two

The slider for terrain quality in my instance of the game caps out at high, with no ultra option. Even so, terrain tessellation appears to still be applied (it's the convolution of the terrain surface, correct?).

Edited by SergeantBlueforce

4 minutes ago, SergeantBlueforce said:

The slider for terrain quality in my instance of the game caps out at high, with no ultra option. Even so, terrain tessellation appears to still be applied (it's the convolution of the terrain surface, correct?).

Are you looking at Terrain Detail?

I'm referring to this one, which has an Ultra option, but you'll want to set it to High

yMKaLFK.png

16 minutes ago, SergeantBlueforce said:

Yes I was, sorry for being stupid.

Out of interest, what does that slider control outside of your mod?

I think Ultra controls the shader on Kerbin (which isn't used anywhere else) and setting it lower reverts it to what it was like pre-1.9. Not sure what the other ones do, probably the same for the other planets but reverting to an even older shader

So I am not really getting any tree's etc. It says I'm not running Parallax on an appropriate version of KSP. (Even though I have the latest one. I didn't notice anything requiring a specific version.) Not sure what's up..

Edit: So I installed it via Ckan.

I have Parralax, Paralax stock planet textures, and Parralax OPM, Parralax stock textures scatters says it conflicts with Parrallax, and won't let me install.

Is this the problem?

Edited by LadyAthena

16 minutes ago, Second Hand Rocket Science said:

Any way to remove the water physics, but retain the snazzy graphic effects on the water? The seas are so choppy you can't take off from them in seaplanes

You can change the wave intensity or even disable the waves physics in scatterer settings

2 hours ago, Second Hand Rocket Science said:

Any way to remove the water physics, but retain the snazzy graphic effects on the water? The seas are so choppy you can't take off from them in seaplanes

i think there's setting in Scatterer in Ocean tab, called ocean wave interactions or something like that. just uncheck it and change scene (like launch new craft, like that)

7 hours ago, NovaSuper said:

I'm having an issue where it looks like the ground is tearing sort of? 

https://imgur.com/a/1rOMm4j

If deferred is installed, update Parallax. If it's not, I need your KSP.log and steps to reproduce

6 hours ago, Jeffery Kerman said:

Do you know if there will ever be mac support again after they dropped OpenGL?

I'm looking into it. Macs have moved to Metal, and/or can support Vulkan as well - both of which I should be able to compile shaders for. But at the end of the day it is entierly up to Unity whether the check 'supports compute shaders' passes.

By the way im using KSRSS, but I've never had any issues with it and parallax, anyway

I reinstalled Parallax and the game just got stuck on the loading screen after the expansion loading finished

edit; forgot to delete the _configs folder

Edited by NovaSuper
im dumb

I just wanted to mention that although the tessellation adds a nice sense of detail to terrain, it also makes a lot of objects appear to "sink" into the ground.
This image below is of a particularly egregious example at Kerbin's north pole, for instance.

I know there are a lot of limitations to work around, but is there anything that can be done to mitigate this effect?

419757D05157F77996F887EB5B77E65DF203B742

6 minutes ago, SergeantBlueforce said:

I just wanted to mention that although the tessellation adds a nice sense of detail to terrain, it also makes a lot of objects appear to "sink" into the ground.
This image below is of a particularly egregious example at Kerbin's north pole, for instance.

I know there are a lot of limitations to work around, but is there anything that can be done to mitigate this effect?

419757D05157F77996F887EB5B77E65DF203B742

This will be much less noticeable/fixed entirely with the upcoming rewrite