[1.12.x] (Kopernicus) QuackPack v1.2.0 - An inner system expansion

Lt_Duckweed

• 3 months later...

What a fantastic pack, I can't believe I only just found it.  This is amazing work for a first planet pack, and it fills in a gap no other planet pack I use has filled.

• 1 month later...

I honestly love this mod, thank you for the great planets!!

I do have a question about Cind tho. I really like the style and vibe but I want to know if it’s possible to make the “lava lake” look more lava-ey. Is it a simple case of just editing the texture file myself? 

10 hours ago, RamieusTitan said:

I want to know if it’s possible to make the “lava lake” look more lava-ey. Is it a simple case of just editing the texture file myself? 

It should be possible I think.  For more lava-ey lava from far away you will want to edit

CindOcean in GameData\QuackPack\textures\pluginData

CindEmissiveDetail in GameData\QuackPack\EVE\Textures

When actually sitting on the ground near an ocean, there are issues with z-fighting between the emissive texture and the regular ocean texture I never really figured out how to resolve, but to make the ocean texture look better while sitting close to it you will have to change the Cind config to replace the default "water" textures with brand new textures (currently it uses build in KSP textures), which will be more difficult.

When I next get around to updating QuackPack, better Cind lava is pretty high on the list.

• 1 month later...

QuackPack v1.2.0 Dead Worlds

IVUHEgU.jpeg

Changelog

• Dependencies

• KopernicusExpansionContinued-er dependency removed

• VertexColorMapEmissive added as bundled dependency

• VertexHeightOblateAdvanced added as bundled dependency 

• Blas

• Dimmer, more transparent rings

• Redone, less saturated colormap

• Add height noise for more varied, bumpy terrain

• Add terrain scatters

• Tweaked, less saturated Scatterer atmosphere

• Stock atmosphere redone, will look nicer when playing without Scatterer

• Jot

• Tweak Scatterer atmosphere slightly

• Subon

• Use VertexHeightOblateAdvanced instead of oblate heightmap

• Updated normalmap

• Add terrain scatters

• Cind

• Scatter atmosphere redone, now purple to represent the high concentrations of disulfur gas

• Add height noise for more varied, bumpy terrain

• Add terrain scatters

• Ocean texture redone, now looks more like lava and less like orange juice

• All emissive effects redone, using VertexColorMapEmissive

Download

Licensing

• QuackPack is licensed by Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported (CC BY-NC-ND 3.0)

9 hours ago, Infinite Aerospace said:

Might I first add that this is a sweet addition to a stock system. Can you actually land on Cind? It seems insanely close to Kerbol.

It is very difficult to safely reach and land on Cind, but it is just far enough from Kerbol that with very judicious part selection it is possible to stay within thermal limits and pull off a landing.

Here is an example of a successful mission pulled off by @JeDoesStuff

• 2 weeks later...

The orbits of Geet and Subon are not stable with Principia. I don’t know if a stable orbit exists, in the meantime you can delete them like so:

@Kopernicus:AFTER[QuackPack]:NEEDS[Principia]
{
        -Body[Geet] {}
        -Body[Subon] {}
}

The orbits of the three planets are stable (tested to 600 years).

Edited by J-B

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, J-B said:

The orbits of Geet and Subon are not stable with Principia. I don’t know if a stable orbit exists, in the meantime you can delete them like so:

@Kopernicus:AFTER[QuackPack]:NEEDS[Principia]
{
        -Body[Geet] {}
        -Body[Subon] {}
}

The orbits of the three planets are stable (tested to 600 years).

Yeah with how close the three planets are to Kerbol and to each other, I doubt any orbit for any moons could ever be stable around any of the three.  The existence of Geet and Subon are ultimately concessions that deviate from realism for gameplay purposes.

Subon exists because otherwise Jot can feel empty and a bit pointless, and to serve as a staging ground for inner system infrastructure.

Geet exists to ease the delta-v challenge of leaving Blas, via ISRU (for those who chose to do so).

Out of curiosity, what happens to Geet and Subon?  I assume Geet is ejected, does Subon also get ejected or does it collide with Jot?

Edited by Lt_Duckweed

In my testing, Geet appeared to remain in a highly irregular orbit around Blas, with Principia throwing an “apocalypse” error indicating the accelerations are too extreme for it to properly model (likely implying a collision would occur). When I tested with 1.25x and 0.8x SMA, it was instead immediately ejected.

I didn’t test Subon as thoroughly; it remains in stable orbit for longer than Geet does but otherwise seems to behave similarly.