rescue missions

Weather

tell about your past or current rescue missoin.

I have jeb in an orbit and out of EVA prop.

just got lev 2 ground tracking statoin. so should have flight planning. map now shows ap and perap.

here is a little backstroy bit.

I rest flight evry time one dies.

but one time it was late so I turned off game to save the sci points. thought he would be back its more than 2 hours.

found out later it 2 hours of gameplay/game open.

he died from time warpx4 and paraglided to hard into ground( as in straight down it was a slow with out it.), the meter was set to ocean not land.

I think the last non-contract rescue mission I did was a routine "oops, I forgot the parachutes" in a career game - with no revert & permadeath.  IIRC it was a load of tourists & a kerbonaut or two coming back from Mun and very luckily I realized my mistake before reentry.   Like most craft in stock, it was overbuilt and had plenty of excess dV so I got the returning craft in a stable orbit around Kerbin.  Tossed an engineer with a wrench and bag full of parachutes in another rocket and after a quick rendezvous, bolted the parachutes on the original craft and all was well.  Since then - especially after I added life support - I have been much more careful on craft design. 

I had a much more exciting accident once, thanks to a part failure mod.  But it wasn't in orbit and didn't require a rescue mission.  Flying up to orbit in my favorite spaceplane with a full load of 6 kerbals (who thought they were going to Jool on another craft), one of the Rapier engines exploded and took half the spaceplane with it.  I had the cockpit, passenger cabin, wing strakes and not much else.  It was surprisingly stable, actually, and after slowing down I bailed out all 6 kerbals, opened their chutes and had to splash them down quickly before switching to the next one.  All six survived.  I was actually a little bummed out that I couldn't save the cockpit, but the drone core had been mounted further back & didn't survive the explosion.   And it wasn't worth risking the pilot to try to save the cockpit section.

I can't find any of the old pics of the disaster, but this is type of spaceplane that was used (minus the piggyback capsule on top & wing fuel tanks - those are for the interplanetary version).  Everything behind the passenger cabin except the Big-S wing strakes was gone

ExbDi7il.png?1

unfortunately the planning is after launch not befor. And  i have to manually turn craft for burns dont have a auto track except for steady hold and pro/ret grade.:prograde::retrograde:

i will get jeb back ...eventuly...:)

Edited by Weather

to rescue Jeb i will need to unlock rcs with 10 more sci points. then get in a close orbit use rcs to slowly drift to him while Val keeps kraft steady. swap to Jeb spam F to grab craft. get in. go to tourist he flew to orbit. transfer him via eva(what could go wrong this time with my eva skills:D :rolleyes:) use Vals ship to de orbit his. make sure parachutes are activated on both ships. and hope i saved enough dv for this.  thankfully Jeb and tourist are in almost exactly the same orbit.

piece of cake ... right... :rolleyes::0.0:

I lifted off of Moho with not quite enough fuel to make orbit and Jeb exited the vessel(he grabbed the science of course) and then proceeded to use his all of his RCS fuel to make orbit.

The return vehicle rendezvous with him and then scooped him up. It was quite the challenge trying to maneuver the capsule entry ladder close enough for Jeb to grab without knocking him away.

• 6 months later...
On 12/3/2022 at 12:14 AM, Weather said:

to rescue Jeb i will need to unlock rcs with 10 more sci points. then get in a close orbit use rcs to slowly drift to him while Val keeps kraft steady. swap to Jeb spam F to grab craft. get in. go to tourist he flew to orbit. transfer him via eva(what could go wrong this time with my eva skills:D :rolleyes:) use Vals ship to de orbit his. make sure parachutes are activated on both ships. and hope i saved enough dv for this.  thankfully Jeb and tourist are in almost exactly the same orbit.

piece of cake ... right... :rolleyes::0.0:

still yet to rescue him.

this isn't my past rescue mission but one of the most fun rescue missions ive had, i had landed my crew on duna and sent them back to orbit, when i realized, there was not enough delta v. i quickly sent the rescue mission (no crew, a probe core that controls the rocket and no science on it) and i got to duna orbit, i rendezvoused somehow and transferred the crew. then i boosted back to kerbin and had a very fast reentry of around 6000m/s, it doesn't sound as exciting but i was scared for my kerbals lives while doing all it

• 3 weeks later...

i was playing career mode and wanted to get some science from mun orbit but i fired my engine the wrong way and ran out of fuel. the craft ended up orbiting the sun in the end so val and bob and the incredible science are unable to return to kerbin. now only bill and jeb are left.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.