Recommendations for mod loadout

Dinkledash

Hello there. I've heard of KSP before, but until I saw the KSP2 announcement video I never realized the grandeur of the game. I bought KSP a month ago with Breaking  Ground and Making History, and thanks largely to Mike Aben's tutorials, I've gotten to gotten to the point where I'm playing career mode on Moderate and I've done a Mun landing, I'll probably do Minimus today, and I'm setting up a comms network for unmanned interplanetary missions.

I've figured out how to add mods, and I'm running EVE, Scatterer, Kerbal Engineer Redux, MechJeb2 and Docking Port Alignment Indicator. But even though I am now hopelessly addicted to the original game, I initially bought the KSP so I'd have some experience with the concepts when KSP2 comes out. Would anyone care to make a recommendation for a mod loadout one could use to approximate the anticipated KSP2 gameplay? Thanks, and happy landings!

You don't really need Kerbal Engineer Redux, MechJeb2 and Docking Port Alignment. Learn the base game features!

Use CKAN to install mods.

For a first play through I would recommend...

Spoiler

BetterBurnTime
Chatterer + Extended
Community Delta-V Maps
Crowd Sourced Science
Distant Object Enhancement + default config
Environmental Visual Enhancements Redux  + Stock Planet Config files
Extended information about scientific experiments in VAB
SIMPLEX Kerbalism
Part Commander Continued
PlanetInfoPlus
ReStock+
Rocket Sound Enhancement
SafeChute
SCANsat
Scatterer
Tracking Station Evolved
Trajectories
TrimIndicators
Un Kerballed Start
Utility Weight
Waterfall - Restock
WaypointManager

Everything else can come later, after you visit all the planets and find all the anomalies...

Also don't stress about making money to grind through the game. Play Career, do only the contracts you enjoy and use Alt+F12 to cheat and add small amounts of money when you need to. The science gathering / tech tree is the main progression system you should focus on. Don't rush - learn every part by heart!

You will see that the best way to play is though generative complexity - meaning that you have to start small, design, prototype, experiment, unit-test, integrate-test, use iterations and reuse anything you have previously built.

Learning the theory and the game takes some time, but sinking hours into building a new first stage for every probe is a costly mistake. Build and evolve rocket first stage families, do the most with what you have already designed. Send small payloads as far as you can or bigger payloads to the Mun / Minmus with the same first stage! Master the basics so you understand the physical necessities of every control element (center of weight, thrust, aero etc).

Edited by Vl3d

On 1/6/2023 at 2:00 PM, Dinkledash said:

Hello there. I've heard of KSP before, but until I saw the KSP2 announcement video I never realized the grandeur of the game. I bought KSP a month ago with Breaking  Ground and Making History, and thanks largely to Mike Aben's tutorials, I've gotten to gotten to the point where I'm playing career mode on Moderate and I've done a Mun landing, I'll probably do Minimus today, and I'm setting up a comms network for unmanned interplanetary missions.

I've figured out how to add mods, and I'm running EVE, Scatterer, Kerbal Engineer Redux, MechJeb2 and Docking Port Alignment Indicator. But even though I am now hopelessly addicted to the original game, I initially bought the KSP so I'd have some experience with the concepts when KSP2 comes out. Would anyone care to make a recommendation for a mod loadout one could use to approximate the anticipated KSP2 gameplay? Thanks, and happy landings!

I don't think there's a lot you can do to approximate KSP 2 gameplay. You can use Far Future Tech and Interstellar Extended all you want but I haven't yet seen a mod that fixes all the heaps upon heaps of fundamental issues with KSP 1 that makes doing interstellar stuff difficult. Principia is literally the only mod I have seen so far that does non-impulsive maneuver nodes, which are important for being able to predict maneuvers and properly brake when approaching a planet from the sorts of high velocities you expect from a torchdrive.

Edited by Bej Kerman

21 hours ago, Vl3d said:

You don't really need Kerbal Engineer Redux, MechJeb2 and Docking Port Alignment. Learn the base game features!

Use CKAN to install mods.

For a first play through I would recommend...

Hide contents

BetterBurnTime
Chatterer + Extended
Community Delta-V Maps
Crowd Sourced Science
SIMPLEX Kerbalism
Part Commander Continued
PlanetInfoPlus
ReStock+
Rocket Sound Enhancement
SafeChute
SCANsat
Scatterer
Tracking Station Evolved
Trajectories
TrimIndicators
Un Kerballed Start
Utility Weight
Waterfall - Restock
WaypointManager

Everything else can come later, after you visit all the planets and find all the anomalies...

Also don't stress about making money to grind through the game. Play Career, do only the contracts you enjoy and use Alt+F12 to cheat and add small amounts of money when you need to. The science gathering / tech tree is the main progression system you should focus on. Don't rush - learn every part by heart!

You will see that the best way to play is though generative complexity - meaning that you have to start small, design, prototype, experiment, unit-test, integrate-test, use iterations and reuse anything you have previously built.

Learning the theory and the game takes some time, but sinking hours into building a new first stage for every probe is a costly mistake. Build and evolve rocket first stage families, do the most with what you have already designed. Send small payloads as far as you can or bigger payloads to the Mun / Minmus with the same first stage! Master the basics so you understand the physical necessities of every control element (center of weight, thrust, aero etc).

Thank you for your recommendation to use CKAN; that seems a lot more comprehensive than CurseForge.  And those mods look very interesting.  I've gotten a pretty good handle on the physics and I just was doing a couple of non-contract launches to get relay sats in solar orbit below Eve and Moho orbits to support my IR observatory asteroid-finder mission, when I got an unexpected stack overflow.   I can't help but wonder if that's related to one of the mods, or maybe it's just one of those things.  Anyway, I guess I'll reinstall KSP clean and then use CKAN to install that loadout and start over.  I'm not going to get to the endgame before KSP2 comes out, so I might as well.   Anyway, the early game is a lot of fun, and it will be nice to take what I've learned so far and apply it to day zero.  Thanks again! 

After going through the user manual, if you turn logging on, does CKAN log errors generated from KSP or only those from CKAN?

Also looks like some of them are out of date, like BetterBurnTime which sounded really good.  Are you running 1.12.4 with all of these? Thanks again!

14 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

I don't think there's a lot you can do to approximate KSP 2 gameplay. You can use Far Future Tech and Interstellar Extended all you want but I haven't yet seen a mod that fixes all the heaps upon heaps of fundamental issues with KSP 1 that makes doing interstellar stuff difficult. Principia is literally the only mod I have seen so far that does non-impulsive maneuver nodes, which are important for being able to predict maneuvers and properly brake when approaching a planet from the sorts of high velocities you expect from a torchdrive.

Oh I wasn't thinking of the interstellar stuff.  I expect KSP2 will be in my greedy hands before I could get to that point, unless I found some kind of speedrun video and followed it, which I imagine isn't that much fun.  The graceful pace of the game is very relaxing and pushing to minimax everything on a rigid schedule would spoil that.  Thanks!

Edited by Dinkledash
Installed CKAN and had some questions

1 hour ago, Dinkledash said:

if you turn logging on, does CKAN log errors generated from KSP or only those from CKAN?

You can launch KSP from CKAN, but the logs I believe are CKAN specific. If you want the KSP log file, it's in your main game folder.

1 hour ago, Dinkledash said:

Are you running 1.12.4 with all of these? Thanks again!

Yes

On 1/6/2023 at 12:31 PM, Vl3d said:
  Hide contents

BetterBurnTime
Chatterer + Extended
Community Delta-V Maps
Crowd Sourced Science
SIMPLEX Kerbalism
Part Commander Continued
PlanetInfoPlus
ReStock+
Rocket Sound Enhancement
SafeChute
SCANsat
Scatterer
Tracking Station Evolved
Trajectories
TrimIndicators
Un Kerballed Start
Utility Weight
Waterfall - Restock
WaypointManager

This definitely feels a lot more like groping my way into space. I assume the monthly budget will be based on prestige?  And it appears that you no longer get test parts without having the tech for them - I tried two contracts like that and they both immediately failed.

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

Can I give you some part mod recommendations? With part mods I go by the terrible rule of thumb that anything 1.10 or younger is fine. Just remember for any other mods, you'll want to make sure its 1.12.x

First of all is ReStock - this makes all the stock parts look amazing without changing any gameplay. Top recommendation.

ReStock+ - this adds loads of parts you didn't know you needed. Also, if you don't have the making history dlc, it give you all of its parts in a restockalike style.

Near Future Technologies - loads of parts - if you're overwhelmed, I'd recommend near future electrical then spacecraft and propulsion.

Stockalike Station Parts Expansion  (SSPX) - more of a restockalike mod to me, but one that will add a plethora of parts for space stations, with full career mode integration.

Planetside Exploration Technologies - a very nice mod for your surface bases, in a restockalike style. Like the ground version of sspx.

Kerbal Planetary Base Systems (KPBS) - another mod for surafce bases, but in a stockalike style (pairs well without ReStock) but still works without. Full career mode integration.

Feline Utility Rovers - the go to rover mod in a stockalike art style similar to KPBS

Hope this helps! 

On 1/6/2023 at 12:31 PM, Vl3d said:

Thanks again for those recommendations. I just launched a fleet of three probe landers to the Mun and got Radiation, Temp Scans and TITE from 10 biomes over the course of three days, for about 400 science. Feels good!

Little scary landing in the dark at the poles though xD

• 3 weeks later...

If you like sci-fi parts and wants to go where no kerbal had gone before…

Far Future technologies by @Nertea  Far future parts include Fission engines, fusion engines, and antimatter! 

KSP interstellar extended owned by @FreeThinker  Hi-tech parts from molten salt reactor to Alcubirre warp drive. 

Blueshift by @Angel-125 Warp parts that is less realistic and more easy and fun. 

Pathfinder by @Angel-125 A pretty nice colony mod that includes inflatable stuffs.