I usually make planes and fly them in KSP, so I frequently have to deal with a big bug: if you attach landing gears to big wings, like the commercial airplanes wings or a sistem of wings, the plane immediately starts to bounce and never stops, and it makes taking off literally impossible (mainly if you have a big part of your wing going further to the fueselage than the gears), and the only solution is to attach the gear to the fueselage and move it, but I think this is a big bug and deserves some attention.

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, Rocket builder said:

@KerbalSpaceProgram what do you think of it?

Pings an account that has done literally nothing for its entire existence :D

On 1/22/2023 at 7:01 PM, Rocket builder said:

if you attach landing gears to big wings, like the commercial airplanes wings or a sistem of wings, the plane immediately starts to bounce and never stops, and it makes taking off literally impossible (mainly if you have a big part of your wing going further to the fueselage than the gears), and the only solution is to attach the gear to the fueselage and move it, but I think this is a big bug and deserves some attention.

KSP 1 development is basically wrapped up. You could probably fiddle around with suspension for a while until you find something that doesn't wobble to bits, but it'd probably be easier to put most of your gear on the fuselage like a real airliner :)

Most airliners keep the gear pretty tight to the body of the AC, Wing gear is more like old DC3 and WWII bombers. That said, the Shuttle had gear that was absolutely in the wing, and to mimic that in KSP I found the wings snap off.

To solve it, I put the gear on the fuselage, and used the offset tool (Hold SHIFT) to move the gear to where it looked right. Then added the shortest strut possible from the gear "pod" to the wing - so it wouldn't flap and whack it when landing and maneuvering.

Good luck.

On 2/28/2023 at 1:50 AM, tg626 said:

Most airliners keep the gear pretty tight to the body of the AC, Wing gear is more like old DC3 and WWII bombers. That said, the Shuttle had gear that was absolutely in the wing, and to mimic that in KSP I found the wings snap off.

To solve it, I put the gear on the fuselage, and used the offset tool (Hold SHIFT) to move the gear to where it looked right. Then added the shortest strut possible from the gear "pod" to the wing - so it wouldn't flap and whack it when landing and maneuvering.

Good luck.

Yes, that's exactly what I already do, but it feels kinda cheat and it doesn't look realistic... when the wing bends (for example when you strongly pitch at a high speed) the gear doesn't... and autostrut makes the vessel bounce even stronger... and if you lower suspension settings it's not enough for a not so light landing...

Sadly even struts aren't enough, it's all about the gears (I guess), I also tried to enable rigid connections, but somewhy wings immediately detach, and it leaves no way to make an airplane just from wings, like a glider with just a kerbal seat, no cockpit to attach the gears on... the only solution for this thing is to attach a medium strut, wich I think is very awful and anti-aerodynamic...

I think that in KSP 2 it should be solved anyways...

On 2/27/2023 at 11:30 PM, Bej Kerman said:

Pings an account that has done literally nothing for its entire existence :D

KSP 1 development is basically wrapped up. You could probably fiddle around with suspension for a while until you find something that doesn't wobble to bits, but it'd probably be easier to put most of your gear on the fuselage like a real airliner :)

I didn't know the "fake" devs account (I thought it to be the "devs account":D), but, since some "wing airplanes" exist (experimental planes), why wouldn't it be possible on KSP, where you can literally make literally an engine plane (only engine, pod and wings)?

If you see the B-52, it has two gears on the wings, why couldn't I make it without getting my plane to bounce controlless?

I personally hate this bug and, since I usually make strange airplanes, I encounter this very often... when you try to make a Mk3 "double-decker" plane fly, like the A-380, it becomes very hard to control it putting gears on the fuselage... :(

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.