Random Thought About Mods

Scarecrow71

We know that KSP2 will support mods.  In fact, IG has gone as far as stating that they want the game to be modded because molders are an important part of the community.

We know that KSP2 is built upon, at least in part, code from the original game.  I'm quite sure that the code has been updated, and that it isn't the same for the most part.

Random thought:  will existing mods for KSP be compatible with KSP2?  Maybe not right out of the box.  But with minimal updates?

Hmmm.

49 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

We know that KSP2 is built upon, at least in part, code from the original game.

To the best of my knowledge this is completely not the case.  My understanding is that KSP2 has been built from the ground up.

Happy landings!

5 hours ago, darthgently said:

They will need to be ported, maybe easier to start from scratch for some is my guess.  KSP2 is apparently nearly a complete rewrite.  And many KSP1 mods rely on KSP1 quirks  

I mean, assets like sounds and graphics should be far easier to transfer over, but code will definitely need to be redone.

6 hours ago, Scarecrow71 said:

We know that KSP2 will support mods.  In fact, IG has gone as far as stating that they want the game to be modded because molders are an important part of the community.

We know that KSP2 is built upon, at least in part, code from the original game.  I'm quite sure that the code has been updated, and that it isn't the same for the most part.

Random thought:  will existing mods for KSP be compatible with KSP2?  Maybe not right out of the box.  But with minimal updates?

Hmmm.

They actually said that KSP 2 will be even more moddable than KSP 1, not just the same level. 

Nope. No code from the original has been used. Nate and others have explicitly said that KSP 2 is being built from the ground up. New code, new engine (Well, still unity, but I also heard they are building their own game engine beside it to handle some stuff better), etc. 

Exisiting mods will NOT be compatible with KSP 2. You won't be able to drop KSP 1 mods into KSP 2's gamedata folder (If it still uses the gamedata structure) and expect them to work. Mods will have to be rewritten or reworked. Especially parts mods since KSP 2 uses PBR textures and none of the KSP 1 part mods use PBR. That should be too hard to do though. As for plugins, it's a completely rewrite of the codebase. I don't expect 'minimal' work when it comes to them. The whole plugin might have to be rewritten. 

1 hour ago, intelliCom said:

I mean, assets like sounds and graphics should be far easier to transfer over, but code will definitely need to be redone.

Part mods will have to be reworked. Models would need to be updated to use PBR textures. Not sure if the same models can be used or if they will have to be rebuilt, but it's going to be a little bit of work to be sure. 

17 hours ago, Scarecrow71 said:

We know that KSP2 is built upon, at least in part, code from the original game.

79z5dy.jpg

There's literally no way you could make something like KSP 2 from the codebase Squad left. Interstellar mods for KSP 1 are nothing short of janky and the devs have had to implement solutions to keeping track of vessels at interstellar distances that could not be implemented into KSP 1.

Just the fact it costs money should scream "this is not a glorified modification of KSP 1", and all the dev diaries make this further evident.