What did you do in KSP2 today?

Dman979

Ok finally done with Duna landings, well has one left at the monument and just radiation readings so unmanned and waiting with is as seriously bored of landing on Duna.  
Now as most of the "dry" mass of the Duna ship was metalox 32 ton for lander, lander took 5 ton but I tended to only use 4 and lander was fully fueled so 8 landings who was the number needed. Now as the last landing will be unmanned it need less than 200 m/s to deorbit and land. but dropped fully loaded. Who left this with this. 
Lo0u38v.jpg
10 km/s dV, lets get home fast 
k9a2cLV.jpg
Unfortunately its an bug in KSP 2, who messes up your trajectory if you leaves the sun SOI
But less than 80 days is decent from Duna, overtake the previous missions, the large nuclear engines rocks. 
jl4pDG9.jpg

Final trajectory. Might not be able to circulate at LEO but not like I will use this ship again having unlocked the big round tanks so probably drop capsule and aim for the mun.  
Also seen is the first Moho mission ship on eternal patrol, second going to Moho, the 300 ton lander for Duna, first Duna mission and in the back the 4 ships heading for Jool. 

Today (and some days ago.....) I made a Rocket to send 10 Kerbals to Eve and Back in Tourist Class !

pQZLqsy.jpeg

oW1IqOc.jpeg

There is a link to download the ship in the Mission Report if you want the file :)

Fly Safe with Valentina !

Restarting the game several times...

And phsychotically developing a series of agencies and story lines.

WMCC  Mod - Probe First 

Kerfarious Rocket Industries 

(Focus on NKO deliveries. They reportedly accept Kip Coin & Gold. Despite many attempts news agency KNRT has been unable to gain access to a client list)

Vanilla 

Consolidated  Kerbal States 

(The premier agency on Kerbin. Formed from the ashes of the world. Primarily due to public outcry over being misled about the Umal discoveries in system

When governments absolved in favor of a more homogeneous corporatized structure, CKS emerged to lead kerbalkind into the stars. Unfortunately all the KSC-1 datuh archives & rocket designs were lost in the merger & CKS has had to start the program from the ground up.)

There are a couple more constantly fighting and vying for accolades & public acceptance. The airwaves are filled with static & garbled communications from beyond kerbin.

So what did I do today.. I stared at the screen and pretended my little green men were real people competing against one another in some imaginary space race.

3 hours ago, astrobond said:

Today (and some days ago.....) I made a Rocket to send 10 Kerbals to Eve and Back in Tourist Class !

pQZLqsy.jpeg

oW1IqOc.jpeg

There is a link to download the ship in the Mission Report if you want the file :)

Now this is crazy impressive, I was thinking hitchhikers during transit not landing on Eve. 

I put a rover on the Mun today.

20240308075639-1.jpg

Only one picture because I didn't actually plan on doing it. I was testing the rover design and also wanted to see how the payload fairing behaved in flight. One thing led to another and here we are. I'll give it an A for effort but it's abysmal. It flew about as stable as a lopsided three armed duck. I did touch down softly with only 100ish dV remaining so that was moderately efficient of me. However it's incredibly floaty on the Mun, not responsive at all. It has the turning radius of a '73 Cadillac Fleetwood. On the back there's some extendable solar panels - if I extend them then the weight distribution causes the thing to tip onto the back wheels and render itself inoperable. It'll be back to the drawing board on this one. As with aircraft, it's not something I do often. Hopefully I can nail down a good design and then launch a rover/satellite combo to Duna in preparation for a crewed mission capable of making it down to the surface and back.

Today I completed the Ike mission to land 3 Kerbals on the surface of Ike.  I fail to remember what the name is now, but it's sticking in my head as something like "Close Kerb-Counters of the Third Kind".  I know that's not right.  Anyhow, I didn't take 3 Kerbals - I took 4.  Why?  Because, for some reason, there isn't a 3-seat landing can or cockpit that I have access to.  I have the Wanderer, which is 4, or the Cockatoo, which is 5.  How is it we don't have a 3-seat lander can?

Whatever.  Landed 4 Kerbals on the surface of Ike, put Kerrie Kerman on the surface to plant a flag...and the mission didn't complete.  Like, what?  I'm sitting here with 4 Kerbals, 1 on the surface and 3 in the can on the surface, and it doesn't complete?  Let me go check Mission Control to make sure I didn't miss a parameter.

Queue the Jeopardy! music...

Nope, I hit the only parameters we are given, which is to land 3 Kerbals on the surface of Ike.  No special locations, no special equipment, no dancing in my chair while chewing bubble gum and singing Baltimora's "Tarzan Boy".  Hmm.  So, guess I'll go through the tracking station and go back to control of Kerrie...

And blamo.  The mission completes.  Like, huh?  I had to go to Mission Control, then back to Ike, to get this to complete?  I am gonna have to look at the bug report subforum and see if this was reported or not.  I mean, it's a very small inconvenience, and I did get credit for it.  But man that is annoying when you think you've done something wrong, and then realize you haven't.  Gosh danged it all to heck!

Of course, I get done with the mission, get the 4 Kerbals back home (with like 10 m/s of dV to spare), collect all the science, save the game, exit to the desktop...and realize I failed to take any pictures.  I have zero proof of this happening other than Mission Control showing the mission in the Completed section.  Sigh.  Well, the next thing I'm taking on is the Lil Chonker mission (which, for some reason, still only gives you like 35 science).  So hopefully I'll remember to take pictures like a tourist on vacation.

On 3/1/2024 at 11:09 AM, magnemoe said:

An tricks I use after doing the plane change to Jool is to do an second burn who adjust your velocity and radial in-out so you get an encounter with Tylo or Laythe if that is your target. 
As you are still over an year from Jool its pretty small changes to get an encounter, Then after passing into Jool SOI do an correction burn for better position and Pe

My usual Jool system MO, regardless of my ultimate destination, is to set it up so that I have a  same-direction Tylo encounter on a near-tangent orbit as soon as I arrive in system.  That  will reliably get you Jool-captured  for free, and from there you can easily set up further Laythe/Tylo encounters to  get you cheaply captured by whatever moon you're ultimately headed to.  For Laythe, it's usually Tylo-Laythe-Laythe, because I'm generally coming in too hot on my first Laythe encounter, even after swinging by Tylo first, to aerobrake successfully. 

2 hours ago, Scarecrow71 said:

Today I completed the Ike mission to land 3 Kerbals on the surface of Ike.  I fail to remember what the name is now, but it's sticking in my head as something like "Close Kerb-Counters of the Third Kind".  I know that's not right.  Anyhow, I didn't take 3 Kerbals - I took 4.  Why?  Because, for some reason, there isn't a 3-seat landing can or cockpit that I have access to.  I have the Wanderer, which is 4, or the Cockatoo, which is 5.  How is it we don't have a 3-seat lander can?

Pro tip -- There is no game rule that says you can't use the Gumball as a lander can! I actually landed 4 Kerbals on that mission as well, because I had a VAB-generated stowaway on my Duna Monument mission.  When the Ike mission popped up while that mission was still in system,  I ended up landing my Gumball transfer stage on Ike while it was still docked to my 1-seat Duna lander, which was supposed to have been discarded but was now needed as a lifeboat.

1 hour ago, herbal space program said:

Pro tip -- There is no game rule that says you can't use the Gumball as a lander can! I actually landed 4 Kerbals on that mission as well, because I had a VAB-generated stowaway on my Duna Monument mission.  When the Ike mission popped up while that mission was still in system,  I ended up landing my Gumball transfer stage on Ike while it was still docked to my 1-seat Duna lander, which was supposed to have been discarded but was now needed as a lifeboat.

This, I also just touched down on Ike with my interplanetary ship :) 
I always add hitchhiker or other crew space on interplanetary missions, just for look of ship and immersion. 

Had Bob sneak onto an Eve probe carrier, in an rover seat. Lucky for me as he explored Gilly before the manned ship arrived. Think they should leave that one in, perhaps nerf it a bit. 
Its kerbals being kerbals

2 hours ago, herbal space program said:

My usual Jool system MO, regardless of my ultimate destination, is to set it up so that I have a  same-direction Tylo encounter on a near-tangent orbit as soon as I arrive in system.  That  will reliably get you Jool-captured  for free, and from there you can easily set up further Laythe/Tylo encounters to  get you cheaply captured by whatever moon you're ultimately headed to.  For Laythe, it's usually Tylo-Laythe-Laythe, because I'm generally coming in too hot on my first Laythe encounter, even after swinging by Tylo first, to aerobrake successfully. 

Where is Tylo here? I tend to set up so I intercept Tylo so my trajectory and a line from Jool to Tylo is 90 degree angle and obviously I intercept on outside as seen from Jool, for Laythe specific mission I used it instead, I think we agree just me misunderstanding. 
Now I tend to fly very energetic, see my last what I did in KSP 2 today.  

I did two high velocity Duna  aerobrake in KSP 1 
Zmb10mA.png
Ship had to be modified in flight to be stable and survive the simulation of encounter. 
Mission was very successful. 

And an request to the music team, love the soundtrack of KSP 2, but something pointing in that you are doing very dangerous stuff now like entering Jool atmosphere or image above would be nice. 
Thinking about it, you are moving so fast the valkyries can not intercept you 

30 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

Where is Tylo here? I tend to set up so I intercept Tylo so my trajectory and a line from Jool to Tylo is 90 degree angle and obviously I intercept on outside as seen from Jool, for Laythe specific mission I used it instead, I think we agree just me misunderstanding. 

That really depends on the direction from which you are entering Jool's SOI. For a typical Hohman transfer, that will likely be from more or less Jool prograde, so you'll want to be encountering Tylo when it's somewhere near its closest point to Kerbol and moving in a more or less Jool-retrograde direction. And yes, your trajectory would  be at roughly 90 degrees to the Jool-Tylo vector no matter what direction you came from, but always going in the same direction as Tylo.

3 hours ago, herbal space program said:

There is no game rule that says you can't use the Gumball as a lander can! I actually landed 4 Kerbals on that mission as well, because I had a VAB-generated stowaway on my Duna Monument mission.

I just used the two seater lander can and stuck a cupola module on top with a medium sized payload bay (didn’t have the actual nose cone yet) attached via decoupler. Worked like a charm and got me to Duna, Ike, and then Kerbin again :)

Edited by NexusHelium

Landed in the mohole for second time. 
MYMtqEI.jpg
Here I'm leaving, not on the same lander I landed with it was my standard lander with wheels. It does not look like the discoverables like wheels. lander jumped around and ended up upside down. 
Luckily I had the old lander there, the landing stage lost its engine, ground is buggy down there. 
Had to install the kerbal headlamp mod to see anything down there and made my way to old lander. 

GqBgyRo.jpg
lander back at mothership, all science at Moho collected, now just to wait for window home.

On 3/9/2024 at 11:06 PM, astrobond said:

I made a new version of my "Tourist Class" Rocket for 10 Kerbals to Eve and Back...

Lighter, Less Parts, and more easy to Handle :)

Tested and aproved by Valentina !

Here is the link to the new craft file:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pAcMkbdGsFbrbVMikT9RM8rRADO6xutk/view?usp=sharing

6s0Imz6.jpeg

You are using an nuclear upper stage on the Eve accent stage. Newer thought of that, but also never tried to launch something that heavy from Eve :)

I'm going to Dress. 
9FE9BWy.jpg

With two large blue balls of happiness, no longer blue-balled by tiny tanks and fairings so first of the Dress class ships is blue. Tanks between the balls are metalox for lander. 
Dress in 300 days, lots of dV is an nice as lots of money except you have to spend it during mission. 

Edited by magnemoe

Arrival around Tylo for the first stop of my mission !

embed?resid=B12CEBAE0FB4A59D!5522&authke

embed?resid=B12CEBAE0FB4A59D!5521&authke

To land on Tylo is not easy !

embed?resid=B12CEBAE0FB4A59D!5523&authke

Since I continue to fail at pinpoint landing, a small rover is required !

embed?resid=B12CEBAE0FB4A59D!5525&authke

Spoiler

Finally, the Tylo monument ! 4 biomes explored in total for a big science reward :cool:

embed?resid=B12CEBAE0FB4A59D!5524&authke

Next stop : Laythe !

Today I once again completed a mission without taking pictures.  The Crater Conundrum.  I don't know why I keep failing to take pictures; I'm usually really good about it.  Anyhow, I sent a probe instead of a manned mission, primarily because I thought "Hey, I've got the automated sampling thing, I'll use that instead of putting a Kerbal in jeopardy".  And when I went to use it, I kept getting the error that the part was blocked.  Wouldn't tell me what it was blocked by, and considering it was nowhere near anything else other than the part I attached it to, I have to assume it's a bug.  I've never been able to use any of the automated science parts even in KSP1, which tells me I'm doing something wrong.  So does anyone have a tutorial on using this?  Where to place it, how to avoid the blocked issue, etc.?

Mostly finishing off stuff, burn home from Moho, Duna 1 landed back at Kerbin. Finished the Eve lander design.
Then touching the sun.
wCwC7Et.png

One million km from the sun and its low orbit.  none heating effect seen but pointed engine at sun. at 500.000 km ship exploded. 

Tried landing the 300 ton lander on Duna and game and craft crashed. For some reason its no saves of the Duna 1 return or touching the sun and any save with the huge lander does not load.
But now I know distanced to sun. Point of mission was to get distance for low orbit and do an radiation messurment for 1700 science. 
An update here things was fine at 1000.000 km, at 500.000 things started heating up, was able to get to 470 but ship had then fallen apart. 

The sun glare goes away close to 500 km so you can look at the sun.
VaZPjLt.jpg

Edited by magnemoe

Whew. I also made my first landing on Tylo. I used the same design for a Science Station that I've been using for the other moons. I thought I'd have enough Delta-V to soft-land.

Turned out I miscalculated. I was short by about 200DV.

So after scratching my head for a while, I remembered that Tylo doesn't have an atmosphere, so I reloaded an earlier quicksave, and used what was left in my transfer stage.

MXWjG6H.jpeg

A hydrogen tank/motor combo didn't have the TWR to land soft, but it slowed me down to about 100m/s, at an altitude of about 100km. Enough time to cut the transfer stage loose and try my luck again.

I haven't tried Eve yet, so this is the largest, heaviest world I've ever landed on without using wings or parachutes. Took me almost a dozen tries to find just the right amount of thrust to get down with enough fuel to slow it down.

(Side note, Tylo is tidally locked, so I can't get a cool pic of Jool rising over the horizon. This is the only 'Jool-Rise' shot of Tylo that I got.)

8YArWTA.jpeg

After a dozen tries, I landed the thing. Mostly.

In an effort to increase my landing stability, I put the landing legs on some girders that were already extending out. It turned out to be a good idea, because as I ran out of fuel just in time, and dropped just fast enough to explode all four landing legs. But the girders survived, making for a decent set of 'emergency landing legs'.

J29FqmD.jpeg

My Lab is on Tylo! After a dozen attempts, and many MANY explosions, I landed it!

Spoiler

mmlykbl.jpeg

The closest I could land was 5km from the Tylo Anomaly, so there was a hike involved. But it was worth it.

2 hours ago, stephensmat said:

Whew. I also made my first landing on Tylo. I used the same design for a Science Station that I've been using for the other moons. I thought I'd have enough Delta-V to soft-land.

Turned out I miscalculated. I was short by about 200DV.

So after scratching my head for a while, I remembered that Tylo doesn't have an atmosphere, so I reloaded an earlier quicksave, and used what was left in my transfer stage.

MXWjG6H.jpeg

A hydrogen tank/motor combo didn't have the TWR to land soft, but it slowed me down to about 100m/s, at an altitude of about 100km. Enough time to cut the transfer stage loose and try my luck again.

I haven't tried Eve yet, so this is the largest, heaviest world I've ever landed on without using wings or parachutes. Took me almost a dozen tries to find just the right amount of thrust to get down with enough fuel to slow it down.

(Side note, Tylo is tidally locked, so I can't get a cool pic of Jool rising over the horizon. This is the only 'Jool-Rise' shot of Tylo that I got.)

8YArWTA.jpeg

After a dozen tries, I landed the thing. Mostly.

In an effort to increase my landing stability, I put the landing legs on some girders that were already extending out. It turned out to be a good idea, because as I ran out of fuel just in time, and dropped just fast enough to explode all four landing legs. But the girders survived, making for a decent set of 'emergency landing legs'.

J29FqmD.jpeg

My Lab is on Tylo! After a dozen attempts, and many MANY explosions, I landed it!

Reveal hidden contents

mmlykbl.jpeg

The closest I could land was 5km from the Tylo Anomaly, so there was a hike involved. But it was worth it.

How to get back to orbit? Future rescue mission? 

One tricks for landing on Tylo I discovered was to set up an node for an braking burn, this will result in an crash, but if you also burn a bit upward you can end moving slowly at 1-3 kilometer attitude, now burn to compensate for Tylo rotation and land. Benefit is that TWR does not matter much for the long braking burn, as in it can be <1. 

25 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

How to get back to orbit? Future rescue mission? 

All my Science Labs are one way missions, because they're Science Intensive. In KSP1, my goal was to have a station in orbit of every Planet/Moon and one with all the experiments landed. I was farming science points for profit.

Until KSP2 includes refuelling from what's found on other planets, most of my missions are one way. My final challenge will be to go out to these places with a spaceplane and collecting 'samples' to bring back.

On 3/8/2024 at 4:42 AM, astrobond said:

like what you did with the heat shields there! I was scratching my head about what to do for those, since  I don't have the super-convenient inflatable version yet.  In KSP1, I did something like that using hinges mounted to radial decouplers, so that I could stow the shields more aerodynamically  for takeoff, but of course we don't have those in KSP2. Must have been fun taking off with that rig!  I like the stageable chutes and stageable trusses for landing legs too.  Anything to shed weight and drag for the flight back to orbit!  Lastly, I'm kind of surprised by the choice of the Mammoth over the Vector for your ascent engine.  I had thought that the Mammoth's worse ISP curve would have rendered it impracticable despite its better inherent TWR, but I guess I was mistaken!