Multiple Bugs Found

Scarecrow71

While playing this morning, I found multiple bugs and gameplay issues.  Not sure where to report them; I don't see an option in the launcher, nor is there an actual Bugs channel on Discord.

1. There is no way in the VAB to orient craft to know which side of the capsule is facing east.  In KSP 1, the VAB was open on the eastern end of the building, and you could literally see out to the water.  You can't do that in KSP 2, so it's difficult to know which way you are oriented.
  2. On the launchpad - and in the VAB, to the same extent - the old controls to orient the view do not work.  On the launchpad, the left/right arrows used to spin the view, but in KSP2 they merely move the camera left and right while holding the mouse wheel spins the view.  Unfortunately, neither of these allows you to stay centered on the craft itself, and I have found no way to recenter the craft; you cannot simply right-click on the craft and Aim Camera any longer.
  3. I have a craft with asparagus staging, but in the VAB there is no dV readout for Stage 0.  You can see the fuel lines in the image (I can get a better image if necessary), but you can see in Stage 0 there is no dV readout.

7QYayWo.png

4.  When in orbit, I can right-click on Ap/Pe and see the values.  However, as soon as you create or click on a maneuver node, those go away and you have no way to get them to stay up there.  This isn't so much a problem if you don't create a maneuver as you can see the current values in the lower left.  But when creating a maneuver, you need to see the values you are setting these to, and you simply cannot.

QQ0ogwB.png

LQD1EF7.png

5.  This is probably the worst thing I found this morning, and it makes the game nearly unplayable.  After multiple attempts, I finally got a craft going in the right direction (east over the water).  Got an Ap of 100km, and created a maneuver node to circularize the orbit (or, close, anyhow; Ap/Pe were off by about 10km).  Clicked to hold the maneuver node in SAS, fired the engines when the time came...and the craft, instead of holding the node, spun uncontrollably on every axis.  Relaunched and retried holding prograde, and the same thing happened.  I don't mean that the craft wobbled as if it didn't have struts, but rather spun uncontrollably as if there was no SAS control at all.  Now, it's entirely possible that something I did in the craft made this happen.  But why would the craft not hold the node?

That's it for now.  I'm taking a break and will come back to this later today, hopefully after someone comes in and answers my questions.

2 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

This is probably the worst thing I found this morning, and it makes the game nearly unplayable.  After multiple attempts, I finally got a craft going in the right direction (east over the water).  Got an Ap of 100km, and created a maneuver node to circularize the orbit (or, close, anyhow; Ap/Pe were off by about 10km).  Clicked to hold the maneuver node in SAS, fired the engines when the time came...and the craft, instead of holding the node, spun uncontrollably on every axis.  Relaunched and retried holding prograde, and the same thing happened.  I don't mean that the craft wobbled as if it didn't have struts, but rather spun uncontrollably as if there was no SAS control at all.  Now, it's entirely possible that something I did in the craft made this happen.  But why would the craft not hold the node?

It seems like toque authority, either with reaction wheels, SAS, or gimbaled engines, has been nerfed quite a bit. I'm not sure yet if that's a design choice or if it's unintentional, but try spamming RCS thrusters all over? That might give you more control.

1. There is no way in the VAB to orient craft to know which side of the capsule is facing east.  In KSP 1, the VAB was open on the eastern end of the building, and you could literally see out to the water.  You can't do that in KSP 2, so it's difficult to know which way you are oriented.

So have you ever took a real good look at the NAV BALL? The Nav Ball shows north down south up, with 90° to the right.  So is that intentional, on earth 90° is to the left if you're looking south.

28 minutes ago, DareDrop said:

So have you ever took a real good look at the NAV BALL? The Nav Ball shows north down south up, with 90° to the right.  So is that intentional, on earth 90° is to the left if you're looking south.

Re-read my statement.  I use the VAB to orient the craft so when I'm at launch I KNOW which direction I'm going in.  Your statement there is the equivalent of telling someone to look at the gas pedal to make sure they are pressing down on it.

With that said, I've figured out that one simple rotation using the E key in the VAB orients me just fine.

6 minutes ago, MechBFP said:

In my case getting to the Mun and back in one piece was insanely difficult and took hours, and skill had nothing to do with it.

And see that's my big problem here.  This is supposed to build upon KSP1, not throw everything we've learned in the past decade into the garbage and force us to relearn everything.

2 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

And see that's my big problem here.  This is supposed to build upon KSP1, not throw everything we've learned in the past decade into the garbage and force us to relearn everything.

Yeah, that's the general sentiment I've been feeling.  I've got a couple hours in the game at this point and everything has felt like a fight.  One of the weirdest issues I had was that I kept trying to put wings on my outer boosters, but putting it in symmetry made it NOT ONLY do the proper 4x symmetry (one per booster), but did 2x symmetry on the boosters themselves?? (So there was a wing on the inner edge of the boosters clipping into my core stage).

I really wish it didn't feel like such a fight to do basic things in the game as is, but the optimist in me is hoping that they'll take all of the cumulative agony being put forth in the forums right now and use it to make a patch sometime soon.

44 minutes ago, sunsetteOS said:

Yeah, that's the general sentiment I've been feeling.  I've got a couple hours in the game at this point and everything has felt like a fight.  One of the weirdest issues I had was that I kept trying to put wings on my outer boosters, but putting it in symmetry made it NOT ONLY do the proper 4x symmetry (one per booster), but did 2x symmetry on the boosters themselves?? (So there was a wing on the inner edge of the boosters clipping into my core stage).

I really wish it didn't feel like such a fight to do basic things in the game as is, but the optimist in me is hoping that they'll take all of the cumulative agony being put forth in the forums right now and use it to make a patch sometime soon.

I feel you.  Going to the Mun and back is second nature to me in KSP1.  In KSP2, I struggle just getting to orbit.

Re-read my statement.  I use the VAB to orient the craft so when I'm at launch I KNOW which direction I'm going in.  Your statement there is the equivalent of telling someone to look at the gas pedal to make sure they are pressing down on it.

With that said, I've figured out that one simple rotation using the E key in the VAB orients me just fine.

My comment was a general statement, NOT a ref to yours, the issue was in KSP1 from the start. I don't think none new from the start what a compass was, lol.

Edited by DareDrop

Hi,

I play since 2014, have something like 1k on stock in Steam and more than 4k hours in modded Stock and RSS+RO.

Started to write a bug report for my last 5h play in KSP2, but at the end I left it and decided to just rant it. In this state I'm not optimistic that anyone can solve that many bugs. Core things like orbital mechanics, physics interactions, maneuver nodes, intercepts, predictions, time warp, rendezvous, navigation, fuels management, DV information, interface, VAB interface, staging, and so on are not working properly....

Interface and cameras and a lot of other things were changed for the sake of change rather than ease of use.

I just wonder when you have such a reference like a KSP1 and more modded KSP, why are you having such difficulties matching core stuff????

Intercept games are suspicious bunch and I bet that none of them have played KSP more than few hours, especially their QA team, hope they deliver mega patch in the next week at least to make it playable.

Was able to land tediously on Mun and Minmus and had various problems like, disappearing fuel, random SAS glitches and sudden rotations with loss of control, random inability to stage, changing/varying PE and AP in orbit and on approach, sudden changes in vessel speed, bouncing landers, fairings glitching,  inability to timewarp when in KSC or TS, disappearing vessel files and save games.

Other than that in the air: Control surfaces attenuation gains are too aggressive  which is very distracting. Procedural wings implementation sux. Tanks are awful. Breaks are awful. I'll pass the fat performance elephant.

I'll calm my nerves with working stock KSP1.

Hope for serious attitude by the developers.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.