Fuselage Parts are Missing

XLjedi

The procedural wings are nice and all, but it seems like we have lost a significant amount of creative design capability in that we have no flat shaped rectangular pieces for walls and non-wing-shaped structures.  Sometimes I just want to create a flat deck to walk on or a wall and the wings are all teardrop.  

Maybe the wall and more generic parts come later with base building? 

3 minutes ago, XLjedi said:

Yeah, no panels yet.  That seems kinda odd, but could be they are considered base parts.  I just hope we can use them on our craft.

But there are structural panels, I used some yesterday so they are definitely there.

2 minutes ago, pandaman said:

But there are structural panels, I used some yesterday so they are definitely there.

That is a bit worrisome.  It suggests we no longer have panels as a design element.  Why would they assume the only use of panels was to create wings?

2 minutes ago, XLjedi said:

That is a bit worrisome.  It suggests we no longer have panels as a design element.  Why would they assume the only use of panels was to create wings?

I don't understand.

They're structural panels, you can use them wherever you like.  I made a rover chassis out of them.

1 minute ago, The Aziz said:

What are you talking about

Structural parts tab, scroll down, there are square and triangular panels in various sizes.

Those are not going to work for folks for the same reason they were not particularly good in KSP1.  ...and my guess is they blow up on re-entry anyway.

I guess if we had a way to modify the curvature/style of both the leading and trailing edge of the wing or stabilizer they might suffice as panels.

1 minute ago, pandaman said:

I don't understand.

They're structural panels, you can use them wherever you like.  I made a rover chassis out of them.

Thickness and design style are off and I strongly suspect they have no heat shielding and will explode upon re-entry.  There was a reason they were used sparingly (at best) in KSP1.

10 hours ago, RayneCloud said:

Appreciate the feedback, but are you also considering the inherent teardrop shape of a "stabilizer" and the half-teardrop shape of  a "wing".  Granted, you can make a perfectly rectangular wing shape when viewed from above. 

If there  is a way to make the surface of a wing or stabilizer flat, then I stand corrected.

5 hours ago, pandaman said:

@XLjedi  I think I understand ...

You are missing the flat 'wing' panels (now rendered obsolete by procedural wings), as opposed to the 'structural' panels (which are still there).

My point is... the wings have a teardrop shape.  So the only way they would have obsoleted the need for panels is if there was a way to make them completely flat on the top and bottom.  

If you make a perfect rectangle with a wing or stabilizer, then the top of a wing, and the top and bottom of a stabilizer is NOT flat.

Did I miss a wing setting?  Can you set the curvature of the wing or stabilizer to be completely flat on both sides?

I believe what is currently missing is a Procedural Panel.

Edited by XLjedi

21 hours ago, RayneCloud said:

Finally able to watch that video and it is interesting that the sidewalls of that car appear flat.  I don't know how they did it, because there are no settings in the procedural wings/stabs to change the shape of the leading and trailing edges or to set their thickness independently.

9 minutes ago, RayneCloud said:

There is actually,

Root Thickness and Tip Thickness

DcTousY.png

But again, these are wings, so, they're shaped to allow for lift.

No there isn't.   Look at your leading and trailing edges there.  

There is no option to make them look squared for instance.  The top of that wing (the right side in the photo) is a teardrop shape.  

There is no option to adjust the shape or thickness of the trailing and leading edges.  We would need two new categories for wing trailing edge and wing leading edge with an option to adjust both the shape and the thickness independently if we wanted to get to the same shape as a panel. 

Since there are separate categories for wing and stabilizer (different shapes), it would seem most logical for a third category of Procedural Panel.

Edited by XLjedi

1 minute ago, RayneCloud said:

OH, that's what you meant... I got confused. Yeah, a panel of some sort would be nice, I agree.

So the question remains, how did they get those "wing panels" to look like that in the video you shared?  The sidewalls of that little car appear to be thin and perfectly flat wings.  ...or maybe those are just little structural panels painted white?  

Just now, XLjedi said:

So the question remains, how did they get those "wing panels" to look like that in the video you shared?  The sidewalls of that little car appear to be thin and perfectly flat wings.  ...or maybe those are just little structural panels painted white?  

Try that? It might work. Let me go take a look myself.

1 minute ago, RayneCloud said:

Try that? It might work. Let me go take a look myself.

Structural panels have always been weaker than wings and would blow up on reentry, so I doubt they will have heat shielding of any sort.  I tend to associate those parts with craft/bases that are either on the ground or in orbit, but not safe for transitioning between the two.

Just now, RayneCloud said:

Then I am at an absolute loss Xl, sorry, :(

I wasn't really expecting a solution, so no need for apology.

We are just missing procedural panels right now.

Connecting procedural wings end-to-end (to approximate segmented nodes for more interesting wing shapes) is also a nightmare.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.