The Message From The Developers On Launch Day... Most people missed it... Read between the lines..

On 3/3/2023 at 7:04 AM, zeekzeek22 said:

I also think some of the features are going to have pretty short debug periods before they move to the next one. Like, the science tech tree unlock feature is probably really simple, as is the "buying parts with resources". The "touch end of drill to within 2m of surface resource feature to initiate harvesting" stuff will be a big more, but it's small. I think this first big debug period is going to be the longest by far, and the big features will all roll out only a couple months after each other. I bet the roadmap step updates are going to be way less buggy on their own...the hard part is now.

That's the hope. All the comments about how future elements are already in the code, as a 'foundation' make me think so.

Sandbox mode is for making ships. Science mode is for unlocking parts. The progression is a semi-career mode. The first time I played KSP1, I played science mode until I knew what I was doing, and when I restarted in career mode, I had a fleet early craft in my saved folder.

I don't know what the Resources mode is going to hold for us, but I'm betting it'll make sure we have to inch our way from one planet to the next, using the earliest tech we've got as we go.

2 hours ago, SimonTheSkink said:

Sorry, this whole thing sounds like a conspiracy theory to me. Not buying it.

On 3/4/2023 at 7:00 AM, Nate Simpson said:

We chose that song exactly because it perfectly sums up both the experience of playing and making this game. I'm so happy that everybody understood our meaning! :) 

Was confirmed by Nate. 

5 minutes ago, Sequence said:

Was confirmed by Nate. 

He confirmed the song was intentional because it fit the theme of the game, but not that it was chosen to reassure fans that the bugs will be fixed. Again, reading way too much into it. If, as @lemon cup said, the song was chosen at least a year ago, that would be more evidence against it being a message of "don't worry, we know the game's broken; it'll get better".

1 minute ago, whatsEJstandfor said:

He confirmed the song was intentional because it fit the theme of the game, but not that it was chosen to reassure fans that the bugs will be fixed. Again, reading way too much into it. If, as @lemon cup said, the song was chosen at least a year ago, that would be more evidence against it being a message of "don't worry, we know the game's broken; it'll get better".

Yeah this exactly what I meant. OP was stating this was about reassuring the community, which is never what Nate Simpson said. 

12 hours ago, Arugela said:

It's not a business. And such things used to be an active engineering environment with more ability to get work done in a given time and think it out ahead of time... Let alone put more work in overall for fun. Fun is work. If the work ain't fun. You ain't doing it right. Or aren't doing it at all. Depends on which side of it you are on.

It's now a world of bad 80's business men. Even bringing back dead necro business like activision and running on a world of badly educated artists... Because Impressionism.!

We used to at least maximize our games so people could enjoy them. We have gone completely way from that. Forethought is design. the more you have the more you can get done and avoid traps like redoing work. Or you make a tool to make it easy to redo work. Or you take it all the way and correctly automate the work. Software is farther behind than people understand. All old game genres should be drop in automated bits with full working old game genres generated as standard. We are not really trying and software and game design are all retrogressing. And we aren't even getting fun retro stuff out of it!!3

There is a process to software design. Correct answers in logic are simply 100% of the information. That is the same definition as what it takes to do work correctly and to automate something in a computer. These things should go a certain way. That is not happening. The cycle is broken and hanging like a broken bike chain. The only thing closed to automation were old 80's tools for older games before they were used to make 90's games. It did not progress after that. This applies to all software development. If you can't define it, you don't know it. If you know it you can automate it. The object is to be able to automate it. This is the same standard for education(although not in practice at this point in time.). No one will undstand this, but emotions are a part of the brains data gathering functions. you have data use mode and data gather. If you have feelings, it's data gather. Put more info in and it will revert to data use until out of data. This is what makes feelings. If it's hard it's a feeling. It's the brain tricking you to argue partial data sets in your brain to try to learn.(argument is part of a data feedback system.) It's a trick of the brain. It's always a result of a lack of knowledge. Fix the problem the feeling goes away and you can do work again.

its a business alright. its not the same business that game dev was in the 80s or even the 90s. when you had to code your games in assembly or c, something close to the metal. your programmers had a traditional computer science background along with a healthy dose of math. they were also high up in the corporate food chain. most studios wrote their own engines in house for the most part (rent an engine has been around since at least zork, zork had its own vm and you could call it the first engine you could buy and make games for). 

its a lot different now. you lease your engines and whatever proprietary technologies you are using. the developer takes on more of a dot-connecting role. ksp2 is different, but math talent seems all but absent in modern studios, you are using high level languages since performance margins aren't as tight as they used to be. but thats not what makes a buisiness. the fact that you take invested funds, use it to hire a dev team to produce a product and then receive a return on the original investment, where anything over is profit. they have to pay taxes and comply with workplace regulations. its no less a business than it used to be. its just the modern way cuts a lot of corners. 

12 hours ago, Arugela said:

It's not a business. And such things used to be an active engineering environment with more ability to get work done in a given time and think it out ahead of time... Let alone put more work in overall for fun. Fun is work. If the work ain't fun. You ain't doing it right. Or aren't doing it at all. Depends on which side of it you are on.

It's now a world of bad 80's business men. Even bringing back dead necro business like activision and running on a world of badly educated artists... Because Impressionism.!

We used to at least maximize our games so people could enjoy them. We have gone completely way from that. Forethought is design. the more you have the more you can get done and avoid traps like redoing work. Or you make a tool to make it easy to redo work. Or you take it all the way and correctly automate the work. Software is farther behind than people understand. All old game genres should be drop in automated bits with full working old game genres generated as standard. We are not really trying and software and game design are all retrogressing. And we aren't even getting fun retro stuff out of it!!3

There is a process to software design. Correct answers in logic are simply 100% of the information. That is the same definition as what it takes to do work correctly and to automate something in a computer. These things should go a certain way. That is not happening. The cycle is broken and hanging like a broken bike chain. The only thing closed to automation were old 80's tools for older games before they were used to make 90's games. It did not progress after that. This applies to all software development. If you can't define it, you don't know it. If you know it you can automate it. The object is to be able to automate it. This is the same standard for education(although not in practice at this point in time.). No one will undstand this, but emotions are a part of the brains data gathering functions. you have data use mode and data gather. If you have feelings, it's data gather. Put more info in and it will revert to data use until out of data. This is what makes feelings. If it's hard it's a feeling. It's the brain tricking you to argue partial data sets in your brain to try to learn.(argument is part of a data feedback system.) It's a trick of the brain. It's always a result of a lack of knowledge. Fix the problem the feeling goes away and you can do work again.

its a business alright. its not the same business that game dev was in the 80s or even the 90s. when you had to code your games in assembly or c, something close to the metal. your programmers had a traditional computer science background along with a healthy dose of math. they were also high up in the corporate food chain. most studios wrote their own engines in house for the most part (rent an engine has been around since at least zork, zork had its own vm and you could call it the first engine you could buy and make games for). 

its a lot different now. you lease your engines and whatever proprietary technologies you are using. the developer takes on more of a dot-connecting role. ksp2 is different, but math talent seems all but absent in modern studios, you are using high level languages since performance margins aren't as tight as they used to be. the people doing it have probibly gone to a dedicated game dev course where they just learn an engine or two, probibly a 2-4 year program. i got my it degree and i remember being mad because dedicated game dev courses became a thing literally the year after i graduated. 

but thats not what makes a buisiness. the fact that you take invested funds, use it to hire a dev team to produce a product and then receive a return on the original investment, where anything over is profit. they have to pay taxes and comply with workplace regulations. its no less a business than it used to be. its just the modern way cuts a lot of corners. 

40 minutes ago, whatsEJstandfor said:

"and making this game” Sure sounds like he meant both to me. But it's just an opinion.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.