Week One Adventures

Nate Simpson

Honestly having read all of this. Gone through all of the comments on Steam and Twitter. I've got very little faith this is going to be anything close to the release maps for KSP1 and even stands a good chance to end the company if continuously mismanaged. Not something I want at all, I love the franchise and have given it hundreds upon hundreds of hours. But I can't deny its one of the worst releases I've ever seen and I remember all the way back to the NES releasing... I booked the whole week off for the origional release that got pushed back, glad I didn't again!

Having played myself have to say its a sorry state and just led to hours of wasted time (more than half of the bugs reported aren't being addressed). 

Sadly as I've read in multiple places now the cost was worldwide way higher than expected, and definitely a disapointment to all. Myself included. If I couldn't pay in three, I would not have been able to justify and honestly don't feel I can. 

And to repeat others again, If this patch isn't absolutely stellar! Well, its gonna damage the reputation more. I personally can keep coming back to check but the less players that do, the less worthwhile it all becomes and many a projects have ended before they should have thanks to player engagement tanking. 

It is undeniable we were promised better by now, its why it got delayed multiple times and the posts have even been referenced here. The QA dept definitely has some explainin to do to investors at the least. Even if the game survives, its never going to make what it would have and that also means were likely to see microtransactions which will drive away even more players from the origional without grabbing a close to reasonable amount of new. 

Please. Do this right. If you don't, its not us that loses its the teams behind, their friends and families. Think about them before cash grabbing in future. And hey, shareholder profits too! They definitely got diminished here.

13 minutes ago, Wayne Bruce said:

more than half of the bugs reported aren't being addressed

On 3/3/2023 at 8:40 PM, Nate Simpson said:

Our first Early Access update, which is planned to take place in the next couple of weeks, will contain the following fixes (as well as many other improvements that we’ll break down in more detail in our patch notes when the update goes out)

So that's that

15 minutes ago, Wayne Bruce said:

Even if the game survives, its never going to make what it would have and that also means were likely to see microtransactions which will drive away even more players from the origional without grabbing a close to reasonable amount of new. 

NMS.

29 minutes ago, Wayne Bruce said:

I've got very little faith this is going to be anything close to the release maps for KSP1 and even stands a good chance to end the company if continuously mismanaged.

I think it's a bit of a glass half full or half empty assessment in how one looks at it, it's also very easy to find confirmation bias when digging through all reactions which may strengthen feelings. 

One thing is definitely for sure, KSP2 needs to prove itself of being a worthy successor of the original. 

I guess I'm more of the half full glass type of guy and remain hopefull, there are a few thing I think about when being hopefull. 

First off how KSP developed after T2 bought the IP from SQUAD and directed which way SQUAD needed to develop KSP further since then. There was quite a rouse when T2 bought KSP and much fears were posted, but in the end looking at KSP when it was SQUAD's is a totally different beast than what it is now. 

For four years KSP was further developed by SQUAD under T2's umbrella, and some huge vision changes were made. T2 did with KSP what it wanted to do with KSP2, and that was bringing it to the masses. People easily forget that KSP did not give you any tools, there was no TWR of DV calculations in either VAB or Flight, so it was eyeballing, doing the math of getting mods. There was no transfer window planner, no alarm clock, no much needed in flight readouts, no maneuver tool, no burn time indicator, no in flight action group management, no EVA construction, no Steam workshop, no cloud save. 

Those were not just QOL features, those are features to change the game from a nerdy one, to one that is accessible for the masses.

Now why did T2 do that? Not for the love of the game, but like any company, for the money, by making it sellable to the masses, which it did. 

What we didn't get are micro transactions, just like has been declared over and over that it wouldn't get them. 

But in the end, it's all about the money. The same goes for KSP2 which needs to sell, that's why I think that T2 comitted for the long haul, they know that when they get it right, they will keep selling KSP2 for the next couple of decades like KSP did. T2 has every reason to hang in there and let it prove itself, only that way there will be a guaranteed continuous revenue from it, which T2 wants more than anything. 

My biggest concern in this is not the bugs, nor the features, my concern in T2 getting KSP2 where it needs to go, is its performance. If they don't get the performance to a level that at least an budget level game computer, it will affect the potential market they need to be selling KSP2 to. 

1 hour ago, LoSBoL said:

concern in this is not the bugs, nor the features, my concern in T2 getting KSP2 where it needs to go, is its performance. If they don't get the performance to a level that at least an budget level game computer, it will affect the potential market they need to be selling KSP2

I disagree with you on the short term.  The news that 2 is a buggy mess and that the basics are not working is way worse than the game not being refined for potato computers.  This is PC gaming and it was ever thus.  

You have to have a marketable product before you start thinking about expanding the market. 

3 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

I disagree with you on the short term.  The news that 2 is a buggy mess and that the basics are not working is way worse than the game not being refined for potato computers.  This is PC gaming and it was ever thus.  

You have to have a marketable product before you start thinking about expanding the market. 

I don't think we're in disagreement here and we share almost the same opinion, I mostly was speaking long term as concern. 

KSP2 needs to prove itself, bugs need to be fixed and the features completed. Short term I don't have to much concerns because even a shoddy EA launch will be forgotten very quickly when 'they get it right'. To me, looking at two things, KSP1's development and T2 in it for the money makes me personally confident they wanting and needing to get it right. That won't be realised in the first update, nor the next couple of updates, it needs time to get there. 

I should also add I'm on a development level rig, likely better than what they're using themselves, and still face horrendous performance issues too! Its an all round clustermess and they have so much to prove. After bigging themselves up for so long time to put all these $50 dollar sales where their mouth is.

8 hours ago, The Aziz said:

So that's that

NMS.

NMS Is nothing compared to what it could have been, and look into the shareholder arguments on that. It was lucky to survive and this would be lucky if it does too. If I was an investor I'd be going down the route of false advertising for sure.