[WIP] [1.12.x] HUDReplacer - (v1.2.11-beta)

UltraJohn

Can confirm that it works (after like 2 hours of loading)!
image.png

I did add onScene = SPACECENTER to the config file but I have no idea if it actually does anything and at this point I can't wait 2 more hours to check.

--

Also, can you add recoloring support for the RCS and SAS buttons (specifically their disabled states).

Right now I use a bright radial gradient so that they're readable when disabled but it kinda looks off.

Edited by zapsnh

@UltraJohn can confirm it works. Thanks!

I have experimented a little with using images that are not the right size (as mentionned a few pages, and months, ago) and it appears sliced images do not like that. Other images look fine, though.

For some reason HUDReplacer (or ZTheme (or RP-1)) now decides to load UIElements_14 instead of rep_background. It also doesn't show the reputation amount. Hovering over the element says that it's UIElements_14.
I have no idea how RP-1 works so I have no clue how to fix it. Why is it loading UIElements_14?
294568076-c54cb7d2-cfdf-435c-a546-b13e37

Link to github issue

Edited by zapsnh

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, zapsnh said:

For some reason HUDReplacer (or ZTheme (or RP-1)) now decides to load UIElements_14 instead of rep_background. It also doesn't show the reputation amount. Hovering over the element says that it's UIElements_14.
I have no idea how RP-1 works so I have no clue how to fix it. Why is it loading UIElements_14?
294568076-c54cb7d2-cfdf-435c-a546-b13e37

Link to github issue

It probably has something to do with how RP-1 loads its UI elements, and that conflicts with the default behaviour of the game somehow. I can try to take a look at it with the debugger and see if there's any obvious issue.

I think this is the patch that modifies the original rep bar.

Edited by UltraJohn

I have been having a lot of fun messing around with textures and whatnot!

While experimenting, I found that the editor category buttons (edcat_btn_generic_...) (specifically normal and over, potentially disabled and active) have some set color that cannot be edited with the current config. Would it be possible to make these textures recolorable?

17 hours ago, spicyspace said:

I have been having a lot of fun messing around with textures and whatnot!

While experimenting, I found that the editor category buttons (edcat_btn_generic_...) (specifically normal and over, potentially disabled and active) have some set color that cannot be edited with the current config. Would it be possible to make these textures recolorable?

Glad you're having fun!

If you mean these, then I have no problem changing the color of these buttons by just recoloring the texture itself. Is there a specific one that doesn't work?

evn1pTg.png

5 hours ago, UltraJohn said:

Glad you're having fun!

If you mean these, then I have no problem changing the color of these buttons by just recoloring the texture itself. Is there a specific one that doesn't work?

evn1pTg.png

After some editing, I found that while pure color does work, trying to make them look "dark mode" or KSP2-esque resulted in them having a blue hue. Later, I found that coloring these dark grey to white also retains the hue.

5 minutes ago, spicyspace said:

After some editing, I found that while pure color does work, trying to make them look "dark mode" or KSP2-esque resulted in them having a blue hue. Later, I found that coloring these dark grey to white also retains the hue.

Can you screenshot it? And probably post a zip with those textures, so I can try them out myself and see if I can replicate it. Also just checking to make sure, but it wouldn't happen to be from TUFX post processing or something like that?

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder... How are text colors stored in KSP? Would it be possible to recolor in-game text as well? For example, the buttons in the load save menu, or in the editor load menu, etc.?

23 hours ago, Nazalassa said:

I wonder... How are text colors stored in KSP? Would it be possible to recolor in-game text as well? For example, the buttons in the load save menu, or in the editor load menu, etc.?

Most text is stored in the TextMeshProUGUI components. You can set the color directly on these.

Here's an example of how I did it with some of the PAW stuff.

1 hour ago, UltraJohn said:

Most text is stored in the TextMeshProUGUI components. You can set the color directly on these.

Here's an example of how I did it with some of the PAW stuff.

Nice! Would there be a chance to have full (stock) text recoloring support in HR?

42 minutes ago, Nazalassa said:

Nice! Would there be a chance to have full (stock) text recoloring support in HR?

I will definetely look into it, as I feel like it wouldn't make sense NOT to implement it in a mod that's all about customizing the UI! :D

With that said, it's a lot of work to do, which is why I've so far only included the ones people have asked me to add. When I designed this mod originally, the intent was for everything to be automated by replacing just textures, without requiring modifying stock code, or adding any more bespoke logic. But that only works for 99% of textures, with a few exceptions like the PAW and the KAL window, etc. And ofcourse all text would then need to be manually coded in.

If you're up for the task, it would help a lot with a list of elements that needs to be included, such as like you said, the pause/load/save menu. Preferably screenshots with outlines of each element. (I quickly lose track of what is what ingame from just a list of words :D

Edited by UltraJohn

I had an idea, that being to take make a new UI theme using zTheme as a starting point. I'll just have to see how it comes along, really! I've got a plan but have only touched the NavBall in photoshop so far:

WIP_Style_Test.png?ex=65c9cc9f&is=65b7579f&hm=6457295907d4acec4644a05d5c7e23cee26682d9dcb11b131ff667edf3910fcc&

I have always wondered. Could we get rid of the -5 to 0 of the G gauge? It doesn't actually function that way. Negative gees still read on the positive side. Also the throttle above 100 :confused: Just a personal peeve of mine.

17 hours ago, Svm420 said:

I have always wondered. Could we get rid of the -5 to 0 of the G gauge? It doesn't actually function that way. Negative gees still read on the positive side. Also the throttle above 100 :confused: Just a personal peeve of mine.

Yeah you could replace the navball_bg texture, but the needles would still only move within the original positions. You could probably overwrite that with a mod however. From a quick look, that might be possible by changing the RotationalGauge property of GeeGauge. There's a value for maxRot, and possibly changing the clamping in the SetValue() method. Same for the throttle gauge. :) 

• 4 weeks later...
21 hours ago, kspbutitscursed said:

Hi,

wpuld it be possible to remove diferent parts of the in flight HUD so can make an custom Overlay like the one that spacex uses in the starship launches?

like this?

SpaceX Starship Test Flight Ends Early But Major Milestones Were  Accomplished - NASA Watch 

Hi! You can do that without using this mod, by using the default hotkey to hide the UI (F2), but you'll still have to recreate the custom overlay yourself.

1 hour ago, UltraJohn said:

Hi! You can do that without using this mod, by using the default hotkey to hide the UI (F2), but you'll still have to recreate the custom overlay yourself.

ah ok thanks but i would love if there is a way to make the overlay use the telementry from KSP is this possible?

9 hours ago, kspbutitscursed said:

ah ok thanks but i would love if there is a way to make the overlay use the telementry from KSP is this possible?

While the exact layout shown isn't possible, Historian Expanded  allows you to overlay various pieces of telemetry information on your screen in a customisable manner. This can be either for screenshots or displayed persistently during flight (with or without the rest of the GUI).

• 2 weeks later...

@UltraJohn I finally got out of procrastination and took the following lot of screenshots showing where the text is colorized. (that is like everywhere where there is text.) Maybe it would be good for mods to be able to specify only, for example, a 'green-replacing color', which is used with all the texts that are in green; and so on for each different color.

List of places I could possibly think of which have text:

And since we can already recolor stuff, it may be good to be able to set opacity on some elements (as per past request) (including, too, the staging).

Also, do you think it would be possible to change the font?

Edited by Nazalassa