WHAT?Drag in fairing

Could you please -

1. press F1
  2. go into KSP/Screenshots
  3. find the screenshot and upload it to The Internets (e.g. Imgur)
  4. copy-paste the image link into the KSP forums (it should end in .png)

Thank you very much.

7 hours ago, fulgur said:

Could you please -

1. press F1
  2. go into KSP/Screenshots
  3. find the screenshot and upload it to The Internets (e.g. Imgur)
  4. copy-paste the image link into the KSP forums (it should end in .png)

Thank you very much.

(also in another thread)WHY ARE YOU LAZY ENOUGH TO NOT DOWNLOAD THE CRAFT

7 hours ago, jounce said:

People may be willing to help but do not want to take the time and effort to download the craft and try it out, since pictures will often be enough to diagnose a problem. It's not lazy. But it may be a bigger time commitment than is necessary. 

13 hours ago, jounce said:

considering it's us who are helping you, you are the one responsible to make our job easier.

you know, if you bring your car to the mechanic, they ask you what's the issue, in as much detail as possible; I don't know of anyone who ever said "why are you lazy enough to not drive it and see for yourself", but I don't think it would get a good reaction. same if you bring your laptop to technical support, or if you call the plumber, or whatever.

also, are you aware that each and every one of your kerbalX uploads seem to have the same exact picture? the one of the same plane crashing into the ground? it's not helpful even for someone who would actually want to download your stuff.

I haven't had KSP installed for about 3 years, but I can tell you that fairings and cargo bays, etc. don't occlude drag when they're the root part. It's a bug, but you should be able to re-root the craft (4 key) and it should fix it. If not, try re-rooting, pulling the fairing base off, and installing a new one. I think that's the likely solution, but a picture would make it easier to eliminate other causes.

14 hours ago, FleshJeb said:

I haven't had KSP installed for about 3 years, but I can tell you that fairings and cargo bays, etc. don't occlude drag when they're the root part. It's a bug, but you should be able to re-root the craft (4 key) and it should fix it. If not, try re-rooting, pulling the fairing base off, and installing a new one. I think that's the likely solution, but a picture would make it easier to eliminate other causes.

Fairings shield parts from drag just fine when the root part.  As a matter of fact, they do better than that.  Fairings that are the root part do not themselves generate drag with their fairing panels, only the fairing base.  So an arbitrarily large root fairing can shield as many parts as you want while itself having nearly 0 drag.

The last time root fairings didn't shield parts from drag was update 1.4.  Spreading bad/outdated info while speaking as if from a position of knowledge is a huge problem in the KSP community and is in large part responsible for why so much inaccurate or outright false information still circulates even many years after it ceased to be true.

54 minutes ago, Lt_Duckweed said:

Fairings shield parts from drag just fine when the root part.  As a matter of fact, they do better than that.  Fairings that are the root part do not themselves generate drag with their fairing panels, only the fairing base.  So an arbitrarily large root fairing can shield as many parts as you want while itself having nearly 0 drag.

The last time root fairings didn't shield parts from drag was update 1.4.  Spreading bad/outdated info while speaking as if from a position of knowledge is a huge problem in the KSP community and is in large part responsible for why so much inaccurate or outright false information still circulates even many years after it ceased to be true.

Yes it is, person speaking from a position of authority...

https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/27484

https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/13366

Still a problem as of 1.6.1 and 1.11.2. per the bug-tracker.

EDIT: Still true for cargo bays as of May 6, 2021. As far as I know they use very similar mechanics and are subject to the same bugs. (Note the carefully qualified answer):

Edited by FleshJeb

56 minutes ago, FleshJeb said:

Yes it is, person speaking from a position of authority...

https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/27484

https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/13366

Still a problem as of 1.6.1 and 1.11.2. per the bug-tracker.

EDIT: Still true for cargo bays as of May 6, 2021. As far as I know they use very similar mechanics and are subject to the same bugs. (Note the carefully qualified answer):

Note I did not dispute the authenticity of your statement as it regards cargo bays, I am well aware of the ongoing revert bug with root cargo bays.  I disputed it as it regards fairings.  I have tested this many times, as recently as today.  Root fairings do not suffer from the same revert bug as root cargo bays.

I have spent quite a lot of time testing and reverse engineering the KSP aero model and looking for edge cases.  I have spent a lot of effort to make sure the information I distribute is accurate, and have a series of well respected deep dives on the aero model posted on my youtube channel. However, I have always encouraged others to independently test my results.  So, feel free to install KSP and find out what has changed in 3 years.

Edited by Lt_Duckweed

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.