Bug, Split from Dragon Thread.

LUCINNDA

y4mvHvxQU7m98-O0R1QQqt7cAPVpI5PEEG60L0BT

Hi Nate. This is not a dragon, as you can see. It's the housing module of my Star Gater. But I can't launch it. I bring it here because I think it is important for your team to know the problems that the program presents when handling ships with a high number of parts. There is something in the programming that freezes all operations, so much so that this ship takes 23 minutes to be loaded  into the VAB. I even think I guess what the problem is, with hardly any idea of programming. The problem, I think, is the braces. The program writes all the parts, but then it have to rewrite it over and over again every time a brace interacts with another part. Thus, the charge becomes eternal. In fact, I haven't been able to get the ship to load on the launch pad. When I press "launch the ship" it tries to load the launch pad, but it returns to the VAB and from there it reports the destruction of the ship. But that is a secondary problem. The main one is that every time the program tries to write the parts of the ship (for example when opening the parts manager) the loading time becomes enormous, in the case of the parts manager in the VAB it is up to 5 minutes. to bring up the menu. Please tell us that you will at least study it. Thank you.

3 hours ago, The Aziz said:

How many parts does this thing have? Looks like at least 500 and doesn't look very structurally stable. No surprise it collapses.

The vessel is totally stable and can be launched. It just need to fix some joining problems in the solid fuel tubes. Parts? Only the small housing modules, the 4 circles, have 608 braces. I know it shouldn't be, but the joins in KSP2 are too weak for these mega structures.
But the problem is not the number of parts, but the programming of one of the elements, only one is the one that is freezing the program, and I am totally convinced that there is a way to solve this bottleneck. The PC is not saturated (I have a powerful one) it is the program that goes crazy rewriting everything over and over again, when it should only modify a line, or something like that, I suppose. I'm not a programmer, they are.

8 hours ago, LUCINNDA said:

The vessel is totally stable and can be launched. It just need to fix some joining problems in the solid fuel tubes. Parts? Only the small housing modules, the 4 circles, have 608 braces. I know it shouldn't be, but the joins in KSP2 are too weak for these mega structures.
But the problem is not the number of parts, but the programming of one of the elements, only one is the one that is freezing the program, and I am totally convinced that there is a way to solve this bottleneck. The PC is not saturated (I have a powerful one) it is the program that goes crazy rewriting everything over and over again, when it should only modify a line, or something like that, I suppose. I'm not a programmer, they are.

is there a reason for the totally obnoxious formatting of your posts?

7 hours ago, Kerbart said:

is there a reason for the totally obnoxious formatting of your posts?

I don't know if it seems obnoxious. I am not an English speaker, I try to translate my posts the best I can. But in no case do I find my post obnoxious. It seems to me that I spent a lot more time building something in KSP2 than you have spent judging my post. I think it's important for everyone, especially the KSP2 team, to know what problems the program has, that's all. And I am always absolutely polite and courteous, because I am a gentleman.

18 minutes ago, LUCINNDA said:

I don't know if it seems obnoxious. I am not an English speaker, I try to translate my posts the best I can. But in no case do I find my post obnoxious. It seems to me that I spent a lot more time building something in KSP2 than you have spent judging my post. I think it's important for everyone, especially the KSP2 team, to know what problems the program has, that's all. And I am always absolutely polite and courteous, because I am a gentleman.

I think the 'obnoxious' comment was referring to the contrasting formatting of the text you used, not the words or message itself.

8 hours ago, pandaman said:

I think the 'obnoxious' comment was referring to the contrasting formatting of the text you used, not the words or message itself.

Dude, just copy paste from translater web, any intencion on that. Please put your eyes on message, it is just that I wanted with my post.

Edited by LUCINNDA

On 4/23/2023 at 1:41 AM, LUCINNDA said:

Hi Nate. This is not a dragon, as you can see. It's the housing module of my Star Gater. But I can't launch it. I bring it here because I think it is important for your team to know the problems that the program presents when handling ships with a high number of parts. There is something in the programming that freezes all operations, so much so that this ship takes 23 minutes to be loaded  into the VAB. I even think I guess what the problem is, with hardly any idea of programming. The problem, I think, is the braces. The program writes all the parts, but then it have to rewrite it over and over again every time a brace interacts with another part. Thus, the charge becomes eternal. In fact, I haven't been able to get the ship to load on the launch pad. When I press "launch the ship" it tries to load the launch pad, but it returns to the VAB and from there it reports the destruction of the ship. But that is a secondary problem. The main one is that every time the program tries to write the parts of the ship (for example when opening the parts manager) the loading time becomes enormous, in the case of the parts manager in the VAB it is up to 5 minutes. to bring up the menu. Please tell us that you will at least study it. Thank you.

I experienced something similar to this with the craft I'm trying to build to launch to LKO using only separatrons.  And while I haven't been able to do anything about VAB load times or how long it takes once you add a part to it, I think your issue with it blowing up on the launchpad and then reverting you to the VAB is due to a structural issue.  Not something you did, but rather what the game is expecting.  I hate to say "add more parts", but you may need to add struts all the way around to keep the ship stable.  Without struts it seems that the ship wobbles uncontrollably until it explodes, but I've seen where, when I add struts to my separatron monstrosity, it stay together and can actually get to the launchpad and launch without blowing up.  What happens after launch is a different story, though.

I say try to add struts and see what happens.  Again, I get that the load time in the VAB is rotten.  And until the dev team fixes that there's nothing you can do about it.  But it's worth a shot?

On 4/23/2023 at 6:41 PM, LUCINNDA said:

It may be to do again with the serialization (in the background the game converts the entire craft into a special format in memory) , I've also noticed the lag creeps unusually early with adding parts in the VAB. So it could be that the expensive serialization process needs to be repeated from scratch everytime a part is added, making it slow ontop of the usual serialization bugs todo with vessels not saving/loading/seperating/docking  correctly and etc. 

4 hours ago, Scarecrow71 said:

I experienced something similar to this with the craft I'm trying to build to launch to LKO using only separatrons.  And while I haven't been able to do anything about VAB load times or how long it takes once you add a part to it, I think your issue with it blowing up on the launchpad and then reverting you to the VAB is due to a structural issue.  Not something you did, but rather what the game is expecting.  I hate to say "add more parts", but you may need to add struts all the way around to keep the ship stable.  Without struts it seems that the ship wobbles uncontrollably until it explodes, but I've seen where, when I add struts to my separatron monstrosity, it stay together and can actually get to the launchpad and launch without blowing up.  What happens after launch is a different story, though.

I say try to add struts and see what happens.  Again, I get that the load time in the VAB is rotten.  And until the dev team fixes that there's nothing you can do about it.  But it's worth a shot?

I have no structural problems, the ship has more than a thousand struts. The problem is that the VAB runs at 0.5 FPS and thus it is impossible to make the necessary fixes that I still have to do. Also, it takes too long to load/launch/take off. I will wait for the next update with the hope that my experience has been of some use to KSP team, and we can create ships, either with fewer struts, or with more parts, and continue enjoying the game. Now I left his post about dragons to Nat and I don't interrupt anymore. Thanks all.

This thread has been split off from this thread, as it does not pertain to dragons.  

Yes, copy pasting text from other sources creates obnoxious formatting at time.   That is why the posters should hit “remove formatting” after pasting into the editor.    It helps make the forums easier to read across all platforms.    

2 hours ago, Gargamel said:

This thread has been split off from this thread, as it does not pertain to dragons.  

Yes, copy pasting text from other sources creates obnoxious formatting at time.   That is why the posters should hit “remove formatting” after pasting into the editor.    It helps make the forums easier to read across all platforms.    

Thanks for advice and sorry for inconvenience.