[1.12.*] Kerbealistic Docking - 1.0

kurgut

Bill is a kerbal of science. And even after all these years, he keeps being fascinated by simple or more complex mechanisms and behaviours. One of those are docking ports. It should be noted that Bill was the main architect behind the docking ports research and creation, but he simply completely forgot about it... They're so mysterious... Unkown forces even more powerful than some of our best engines, a strange attractive and romantic behavior between ports of the same size, capable of pulling each other, disregarding reaction control systems... This... induced Bill thinking they might be the siege of the Universal Cosmic Love Force, the Kraken.  But the Force, while beautiful, seemed uncontrolled, unleashed, and even dangerous for kerbal spacecraft safety.  So he took his mighty screwdriver, and started working... After a few months, he managed to tweak the docking ports systems, by adding a complex kuantum computer unit, as well as a tasty piece of cake inside, as a humble offering to the Kraken Manifestation. Bill wanted to share his progress with you !

Mk5nZoX.png

Description :

This mod is a simple Module Manager patch, applied to all docking ports, modded or not, and changes their behaviour so that they have much less  "attractive force" when docking. It also lowers the distance at which the said force starts to kick in. It alters other values as well such as the "undocking force" (more in the .cfg / cf. KSP doc on ModuleDockingNode)
In a way, this makes docking harder since you need to be much more precise, slow and well aligned.
But It also makes it feel smoother, more natural and realistic (You've seen ISS dockings right ? ^^ ).
It has the QOL benefit for your spacecrafts / stations to not make them rotate randomly anymore when docked, which can be quite annoying.
It is inspired by Realism Overhaul configs, credit goes to them for doing this in the first place.

Example Video :

Spoiler

Dependencie :

Module Manager by @sarbian

Links :

- Spacedock download : https://spacedock.info/mod/3392/Kerbealistic Docking

- Github download https://github.com/kurgut/KerbealisticDocking/releases
- CKAN available

- Source code https://github.com/kurgut/KerbealisticDocking

Installation :

Merge the zip's GameData folder with your KSP/GameData folder.

License :

MIT

Others suggested QOL mods for Docking :

Peace :) 

Edited by kurgut

• 1 month later...

Congrats on a realease!

Using a Final patch isn't always good practice. But i can't find the cfg file in github to look at the code and make a suggestion.

I love the idea.  Thank you!

Peace.

Edited by theJesuit

1 hour ago, theJesuit said:

Congrats on a realease!

Thanks !

Using a Final patch isn't always good practice

Yeah I know, but I tried turning this around in multiple ways, and in this case I found out that the final patch was working ok (I tested with most of popular mods with no issues) but...

But i can't find the cfg file in github to look at the code and make a suggestion.

...if you indeed find something that would work in a cleaner fation (my first guess is per mod compatibility, but that would be a bit tedious, condisering it seems to work as is), I'd be glad to consider it ! Thanks for taking a look ;) 

Cheers

Edited by kurgut

• 5 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.