Can't return from mun to save my life (or Valentinas)

Can't return from mun to save my life (or Valentinas)

You're really close!

33 minutes ago, alfrank said:

Should the navball be set to maneuver, stability assist or prograde?

Maneuver or prograde will be lined up by the time you reach the burn, since it's a prograde maneuver, so either would work. And if you point the ship towards the maneuver yourself, you could also choose stability assist.

A couple of times I was given the eject command but ended up going down the dotted golden escape path.  I don't understand what the plot should look like when a successful transfer is laid in.  Specifically, where should the dotted purple line be with respect to my maneuver node? Are they supposed to touch? And what about that golden escape spur? where should it be lying?  I'd love to see a screen capture showing a successful setup.

@alfrank

That screenshot is a correct maneuver already.  I think a proper explanation is in order.

When you do a maneuver to return from the Mun (or Minmus) you will always get 2 lines.  You get a gold line to show your trajectory as you are leaving the Mun, and then the purple one to show what your orbit around Kerbin will eventually be once you leave the Mun's sphere of influence and enter Kerbin's sphere of influence.

The two lines will start the way you see them, with them looking like they don't connect.  This is correct and the way it should be.  However, as your craft moves along the trajectory away from the Mun (along the gold line) the gold line - and, by extension, your craft) will move both along the gold line AND towards the purple one.

At the end of the gold line is a little ball; this signifies the point along that trajectory where you exit the Mun's sphere of influence.  When you exit the SOI, the gold line will be touching the purple line for a bit, and then it will disappear and the purple line will turn blue.

Does that help?  If not, I can create a video to explain this.  Just tag me if you need more help!

A couple of times I was given the eject command but ended up going down the dotted golden escape path.  I don't understand what the plot should look like when a successful transfer is laid in.  Specifically, where should the dotted purple line be with respect to my maneuver node? Are they supposed to touch? And what about that golden escape spur? where should it be lying?  I'd love to see a screen capture showing a successful setup.

Thanks Scarecrow,

A video wouldd be of great help.

@alfrank

Unfortunately, my recording isn't working this morning.  For some reason I'm not capturing my audio/speaking, and I have to dig into that before I can record anything for you.

I'm not sure, though, what the confusion still is here.  I explained everything above.  What is still not making sense to you?

Actually, thanks to your clear explanation I was able to make a successful transfer/reentry today.  I haven't duplicated the feat yet, though.  I would still love to see a video though if you get your gear working.

well, after a couple of hours I'm still not getting anywhere. I think part of my confusion comes from where you state as your craft moves along the gold line. But my craft shows no signs of movement. I can time warp out to the escape point but that does nothing.  alos, sometimes I don't get a gold line, but a purple line. What does that mean.

I appreciate your patience, Scarecrow. I so dope to see and hear your video though. So far, your comments have been the most helpful I've received on this problem.

A more detailed series of screenshots (still not a video though :()

Spoiler

Yn7jOFD.png

Approaching the Mun. The blue line is my current trajectory in Kerbin's sphere of influence. When I enter the Mun's sphere of influence, my trajectory is the gold line, and after I exit again, it's the purple line. If I zoomed out more there would be another colour when I am projected to enter the sun's sphere of influence.

iufege2.png

In orbit of the Mun. You can see my projected manoeuvre.

NALTnUe.png

HAB81Tk.png

I may have not been concentrating and used more fuel than necessary correcting my mistakes.

noQaYDx.png

Moving along the blue line.

9QpnsN5.png

Having exited the Mun, you can see my very elliptical orbit heading down to Kerbin's atmosphere.

YLlho3O.png

I used the atmosphere to slow down, but you can use fuel if you want.

hmMHCxL.png

x58MRup.png

A perfect return from munar orbit!

If this doesn't solve your problem, could we please have some more screenshots?

Edited by fulgur

8 hours ago, alfrank said:

well, after a couple of hours I'm still not getting anywhere. I think part of my confusion comes from where you state as your craft moves along the gold line. But my craft shows no signs of movement. I can time warp out to the escape point but that does nothing.  alos, sometimes I don't get a gold line, but a purple line. What does that mean.

whether the line is gold or purple makes no difference, the game just uses different colors every time you change system or reference.
I can't understand what you mean by "craft shows no sign of movement". where was your craft?

I appreciate your patience, Scarecrow. I so dope to see and hear your video though. So far, your comments have been the most helpful I've received on this problem.

Great video Scarecrow. It clarified things a great deal.  Thank you.

On 6/12/2023 at 6:55 AM, alfrank said:

Great video Scarecrow. It clarified things a great deal.  Thank you.

what do you mean your craft does not show signs of movement? did you actually execute the maneuver?

it does not matter whether the line is gold or purple, the game just uses different colors.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.