Sound Effects Not Playing or Much Too Quiet; Mainly Noticing It With Engine Sounds

Davidian1024

Reported Version: v0.1.3 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Linux Ubuntu 20.04.6 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | RAM16GB

Specs: (Obtained from Steam by going to Help > System Information)

Spoiler

Computer Information:
Manufacturer: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
Model: PRIME B450M-A
Form Factor: Desktop
No Touch Input Detected
Processor Information:
CPU Vendor: AuthenticAMD
CPU Brand: AMD Ryzen 5 3400G with Radeon Vega Graphics
CPU Family: 0x17
CPU Model: 0x18
CPU Stepping: 0x1
CPU Type: 0x0
Speed: 3700 MHz
8 logical processors
4 physical processors
Hyper-threading: Supported
FCMOV: Supported
SSE2: Supported
SSE3: Supported
SSSE3: Supported
SSE4a: Supported
SSE41: Supported
SSE42: Supported
AES: Supported
AVX: Supported
AVX2: Supported
AVX512F: Unsupported
AVX512PF: Unsupported
AVX512ER: Unsupported
AVX512CD: Unsupported
AVX512VNNI: Unsupported
SHA: Supported
CMPXCHG16B: Supported
LAHF/SAHF: Supported
PrefetchW: Unsupported
Operating System Version:
Ubuntu 20.04.6 LTS (64 bit)
Kernel Name: Linux
Kernel Version: 5.15.0-75-generic
X Server Vendor: The X.Org Foundation
X Server Release: 12013000
X Window Manager: GNOME Shell
Steam Runtime Version: steam-runtime_0.20230509.49499
Video Card:
Driver: NVIDIA Corporation NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
Driver Version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 530.41.03
OpenGL Version: 4.6
Desktop Color Depth: 24 bits per pixel
Monitor Refresh Rate: 60 Hz
VendorID: 0x10de
DeviceID: 0x1b06
Revision Not Detected
Number of Monitors: 2
Number of Logical Video Cards: 1
Primary Display Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Desktop Resolution: 3840 x 1080
Primary Display Size: 20.75" x 11.65" (23.78" diag), 52.7cm x 29.6cm (60.4cm diag)
Primary Bus: PCI Express 16x
Primary VRAM: 11264 MB
Supported MSAA Modes: 2x 4x 8x 16x
Sound card:
Audio device: Nvidia GPU 82 HDMI/DP
Memory:
RAM: 15913 Mb
VR Hardware:
VR Headset: None detected
Miscellaneous:
UI Language: English
LANG: en_US.UTF-8
Total Hard Disk Space Available: 467875 MB
Largest Free Hard Disk Block: 50712 MB
Storage:
Number of SSDs: 9
SSD sizes: 2000G,2000G,1000G,500G,63G,4510M,0B,0B,0B
Number of HDDs: 0
Number of removable drives: 0

Severity: Med (Doesn't stop me from playing the game, but so far it's really detracting from the experience.)

Frequency: High (So far it's been happened during every flight.)

Description: After launching a couple rockets I immediately noticed the engine sound was cutting out or being played far to quietly.  After reverting to launch it seems to happen every time.

Included Attachments:

Edited by Anth12
fixed a typo in the title

Reported Version: v0.1.3 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 11 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: AMD Radeon 7900XT | RAM64gb

Severity: Medium (FX not working no work around)

Frequency: High (Repeatable every time I Launch)

Description: Sound does not play from XS or S sized jet engine. Other sounds still function normally. Theres a whooshing or whistling sound that seems aerodynamic in nature that is auditable just not the jet engine itself. I have not tested with any other engines yet.

Included Attachments:

Reported Version: v0.1.3.1 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Win 10 | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K | GPU: 2 x NVIDIA 1080 | RAM32 GB

After today's hotfix (June 29th, Version 0.1.3.1) I have audio problems that I had in no version before.

Test scenario:

New campaing save file

All audio volume settings to 100%, nothing changed here since I installed the game.

New rocket consisting of 1 capsule, 1  decoupler, 1 solid rocket motor (sizes and types do not matter, can be reproduced with any capsule and engine (solid/liquid fuel))

• Build rocket in VAB
  • Go to launch site
  • Press space -> result: The engine fires and is audible but the audio cuts out very soon after launch, about 5 - 10 seconds it goes to nothing, complete silence (the music is still playing) despite the engine still fireing and working normally
  • For the rest of this flight, no matter if there are any other stages with more engines that are subsequently fired, no more engine sound is audibe, music works and changes according to situation
  • End the flight by landing or crashing or in mid-air by selecting "revert to launch"
  • The flight is reverted back to launch as expected
  • Press space to start -> The engine fires but there is no more sound audible, music plays as expected but engine sound is completely gone
  • This lasts for any number of "revert to launch" cases
  • End the flight by "revert to VAB"
  • Launch again -> sound is back for the first launch but we are at step 2 here (sound cuts out after a short while and then it's silence for all subsequent launches) until you go back to VAB

Tried it 3 times with all new vessels and a new save file -> 100% reproducible

Edited by Anth12

(Un)fortunately this problem is no longer reproducible.

I tried KSP 2 again this morning (after having switched off the PC over night of course) and in all my test launches the engine audio was there and at the correct volume level. The test scenario was exactly as in my original post but the bug did no longer happen.

Please delete this post or mark it as "resolved / not reproducible reliably".

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2023 at 6:59 AM, RalphKerman said:

Reported Version: v0.1.3.1 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Win 10 | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K | GPU: 2 x NVIDIA 1080 | RAM32 GB

After today's hotfix (June 29th, Version 0.1.3.1) I have audio problems that I had in no version before.

Test scenario:

New campaing save file

All audio volume settings to 100%, nothing changed here since I installed the game.

New rocket consisting of 1 capsule, 1  decoupler, 1 solid rocket motor (sizes and types do not matter, can be reproduced with any capsule and engine (solid/liquid fuel))

• Build rocket in VAB
  • Go to launch site
  • Press space -> result: The engine fires and is audible but the audio cuts out very soon after launch, about 5 - 10 seconds it goes to nothing, complete silence (the music is still playing) despite the engine still fireing and working normally
  • For the rest of this flight, no matter if there are any other stages with more engines that are subsequently fired, no more engine sound is audibe, music works and changes according to situation
  • End the flight by landing or crashing or in mid-air by selecting "revert to launch"
  • The flight is reverted back to launch as expected
  • Press space to start -> The engine fires but there is no more sound audible, music plays as expected but engine sound is completely gone
  • This lasts for any number of "revert to launch" cases
  • End the flight by "revert to VAB"
  • Launch again -> sound is back for the first launch but we are at step 2 here (sound cuts out after a short while and then it's silence for all subsequent launches) until you go back to VAB

Tried it 3 times with all new vessels and a new save file -> 100% reproducible

Merged into this bug report.
I followed your instructions and it definitely is an issue.
But like yourself it doesn't happen all of the time.

• 1 month later...