Graphical glitches on AMD

Takovacs

Reported Version: v0.1.3 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Win 11 | CPU: Ryzen 9 5900HX | GPU: 6800M | RAM32GB DDR4 3200MHz

All of the UI elements with an amount of transparency, including the hamburger, Kerbal viewpoint, Staging window, the text map telling you which celestial body you are in their sphere of influence etc. have artifacting constantly, in both VAB and in-flight views. The artifacting is less prominent when in space, but that may just be different things that are less visible artifacting. 

Included Attachments:

2023-06-2218-07-20.mkv

Edited by Anth12

Reported Version: v0.1.3 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: windows | CPU: ryzen 5 5600g | GPU: radeon rx 6700 xt | RAM16 gb irom x

when looking at the sun or when it is slightly out of sight and you are moving the camera, ui flickers betwen lighter and darker textures

Included Attachments:

OS: Win11 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | GPU: AMD RX 6600 | RAM16GB

Attaching a screenshot to showcase two different glitches.

1. The whole UI background flickers quite violently. Especially on liftoff, but all the time in general. It doesn't appear on most of my screenshots, but in the attacked on you see the bar on the right (stage expand button) that is of a weird color. When I pause the game and don't move the camera, the flickering stops. It has one flicker whenever I mouse over UI elements or interact with the UI otherwise (increasing thrust). This is a regression from 1.2.0 for me.

2. Clouds are... still awful. Graphical settings are all maxed and my FPS is fine. Clouds used to be worse on AMD GPU, but they are still super jarring to look at. The screenshot doesn't do it justice, when they move they are much worse. I feel that clouds have a very annoying griddish pattern in this game and that is another issue entirely, but the rendering is so tough.

This is a clean Win11 installation and just after KSP2 install, so it's as dry as you can hope for.

Included Attachments:

Screenshot.png.0cdb29a04dd3cdd2001c38197

Same problem with the glitches in the interface AMD Radeon 6700 XT  Windows 10.    I tried resetting all the AMD settings to default, then played with the settings...locked the game at 30fps, clicked all the buttons and unclicked them set ksp2 to default settings as well.

I am pretty much out of options for testing settings and lack of settings

Edited by Dankaman

Windows 10 6700XT AMD  ( I5 6 core)   (64GB Ram) optimized to run cool.   Since it doesn't seem to effect every AMD user I am trying to nail it down.

The navball sometimes has the blurry effect mentioned in other bug reports but with flickering too.  The flickering is persistent in all cases.   It's also pretty intense.  

The flickers covers the top menu the nav ball the bar to the right of the staging buttons the Kerbals in the top right corner the time bar at the bottom and anything else that would qualify as interface.

The flickering gets worse at specific camera angles, and happens in the VAB and other windows as well.   There is no flickering if the entire background is black (such as the map view)   The is no flickering if the vessel is completely submerged (dark blue background)    

THe flickering happens at all time warp speeds.

it gets less intense as you get further out into space.  It comes back as you decend toward kerbin

- - - - - - - -

In an effort to get this game playable again, I went through a few drastic changes.    I removed the intercept games file from app data and ran the game as new, after reinstalling it.   

I tried every setting in AMD adrenalin interface

I uninstalled all graphics drivers using DDU.    The Microsoft basic graphics driver does not have the same issue, however, also slows the game to a crawl   and doesn't allow me to use my 2nd monitor (unplayable)

re-installing the driver from the AMD site on minimum settings brings the problem back.

"amd-software-adrenalin-edition-23.5.2-minimalsetup-230621_web"

The problem persists on both monitors when I run in windowed mode.

Problem persists when one monitor is unplugged..

I tried installing the Maya Graphics assistants thinking that the devs might have had them installed this did nothing

I tried rolling back the driver to 23.3.2 knowing that the problem doesn't exist with the basic microsoft driver problem persists

I tried rolling back the AMD driver to 22.9.2 problem persists.

I might try and install windows 11 later, fresh install, new operating system.  I have my doubts though.

dankamanksp - Twitch

PLease PLease please fix this.

Its drivering me nuts

Edited by Dankaman

Reported Version: v0.1.3.1 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 10 64-bit | CPU: AAMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8-Core Processor | GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT | RAM32GB

The UI flashes in (seemingly random) patterns. Gameplay is not affected by this bug, but it is very irritating visually.

Included Attachments:

KerbalSpaceProgram22023-07-0419-17-07.mp4

Edited by Anth12

• 2 weeks later...

Reported Version: v0.1.3.2 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 11 64-bit | CPU: AAMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-Core Processor | GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT | RAM32GB

hello, i was a long time KSP player, and recently purchased KSP2 EA. i started playing KSP on .13, so i find it amusing that I am now playing the latest one on the same version number. i am experiencing the UI Flickering glitch, in all screens, VAB and Launch. after launch the flicker seems to be less than when its sitting on the launchpad. also, clouds seem very blocky, reminds me of the problems i had with the clouds mods with the original KSP which i was able to resolve but that was 5 or more years ago so i don't recall the steps i took to fix it. i have not modded this fresh install of KSP2 as yet, as i wanted to get back into the hang of rocket launches. even with the glitches i was able to achieve orbit on first launch, once in orbit i noticed the flickering was lower, unless there was a celestial body behind the UI, such as Kerbin, Kerbol, or The Mun. i have yet to travel beyond low orbit so i dont know if distance from Kerbin and the clouds might be a thing causing the glitching.

additional information:

after playing for a bit, i noticed a few things. Map mode has no glitches. if your craft is nightside of Kerbin, glitches stop, and returns when you go dayside. if you're beyond 150KM above Kerbin, glitches are reduced, and stop entirely after 250KM. glitches return when in close orbit around the Mun, but ONLY if the Mun is under the UI Elements. if you point the camera to space, or even Kerbin while in orbit of the Mun, no glitches. 

PPS.

after landing on the Mun, i noticed that only 2 UI elements were glitching. the staging element, and the vessel action element, otherwise it looked fine while looking out across the surface. the menu in the upper left doesn't glitch until you point the camera at Kerbol, and then it glitches a lot. Kerbin is below the horizon so i don't know if its causing issues. no issues with EVA on the surface, until you point the camera at Kerbol, then it all glitches.

Edited by Travman

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, attosecond said:

There is a known issue with AMD Ryzen processors using their firmware trusted platform modules (fTPM): it causes stuttering. See this article:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-issues-fix-and-workaround-for-ftpm-stuttering-issues

That is not related to this bug report. This bug report is a GPU related issue. Not a motherboard related issue.
Also its UI flickering that is happening, not stuttering of the game.

18 hours ago, Anth12 said:

This bug report is a GPU related issue. Not a motherboard related issue.

On 6/23/2023 at 2:49 AM, Jaypeg said:

I have an NVIDIA card and am also having this issue.

On 6/23/2023 at 3:24 AM, Anth12 said:

3070ti here. Same issue. Clouds. Not the other UI thing yet.

Seems more like it's a CPU-bound problem than anything else. 

Edited by attosecond

5 hours ago, attosecond said:

Seems more like it's a CPU-bound problem than anything else. 

There are two issues in this bug report. Flickering UI and clouds having an undesirable look. The flickering UI was the first post so that is the focus of this bug report.

On 8/1/2023 at 6:39 AM, attosecond said:

This link you gave has a video in it. The video shows a stuttering in the game that is neither related to the UI flickering or the clouds.

Different thread models, perhaps? The only commonality in the hardware described in this thread is AMD processors. Seems like a known processor issue that causes hiccups would be a good place to look... lowest hanging fruit and all.

1 hour ago, attosecond said:

Different thread models, perhaps? The only commonality in the hardware described in this thread is AMD processors. Seems like a known processor issue that causes hiccups would be a good place to look... lowest hanging fruit and all.

I was able to reproduce the bug on an Intel i7 4770K + AMD Radeon RX 6600

• 1 month later...