Strange Terrain near Special Locations and Discoverables [Possibly Integrated Graphics Related]

McThuggin

Bug Report

Reported Version: v0.1.3.1 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 11 | CPU: 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1135G7 | GPU: Intel(R) Iris(R) Xe Graphics | RAM16GB

Title: Strange Terrain near Island Runway

Specs: see attached DxDiag.txt (yes, I know my laptop is below minimum specs, but the game still runs, and should have no effect on this bug)

Severity: low

Frequency: high - consistent across saves and reloads

Description: 

There appears to be unusual terrain near the runway on the island near the KSC. It is very jagged with overlapping ridges and looks like a terrain modeling issue.

If this is intentional (like an easter egg I don't understand), just let me know and close this bug report.

View from above:

odd_terrain.png?width=1005&height=662

View from the side:

odd_terrain_2.png?width=1096&height=662

Location from map screen:

odd_terrain_location.png?width=1087&heig

Included Attachments:

DxDiag.txt

Edited by McThuggin
Restored "integrated graphics related"

12 answers to this question

Reported Version: v0.1.4 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: windows | CPU: 11th gen i7 | GPU: Intel(R) Iris(R) Xe Graphics | RAM16

Frequency: medium-low (happens at the specific locations only, but every time at those locations)

Severity: high (nearly impossible to land at location, without quicksaves, this bug is a mission ender)

At specific locations, the terrain can sometimes corrupt or warp, into steep waves and/or spikes, making it nearly impossible to land at that location. It is only visible when up close to the terrain; within the ~1 km range. The corruption makes steep waves and spikes in a relatively small area (~250x250m), but will follow the player as they move; meaning the total corruption is a much larger patch of terrain that what the player can initially see. The terrain reverts back to normal when the player leaves.

This seems to happen mostly at locations of interest. All anomalies are affected from what I've found, but other places of interest, like the dres canyon and the bop crater are also affected at times. Other seemingly random patches of terrain, like a patch of the minmus flats, or an edge of a crater on minmus, also have been affected.

I have verified a few times now that, while some locations seem random, this corruption is in the same locations, across all saves. I have verified that it is still in patch 0.1.4.0, in the same locations as previous versions.

As to what is causing it, I've only ever seen one other person have this issue, and the only thing we had in common as far as I could tell, was that we both had integrated graphics. (In-game, it seems to be in places where terrain was specifically changed/altered, to give it a certain feature, like the bop crater and the anomalies, but I have no way to properly verify this, so take it with a grain of salt)

Included Attachments:

tyloAnomaly.png.8780d0cda25569fcd142444d414f190c.png

Edited by Anth12

I’m not alone! I’ve had this same issue, also on integrated graphics. I’ve found that it consistently happens at the Easter eggs objects. In other experiences, the corrupted terrain follows my craft while makes landing less than ideal

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 11 | CPU: 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1260P 2.10 GHz | GPU: Intel(R) Iris(R) Xe Graphics | RAM16.0 GB

The terrain disappeared when heading to the Mun Arch.

There's a deep hole almost reaching the Mun's core.

Included Attachments:

2XAJ)Q03MWPWE1Z7VWT.png.81f21206e6492920211b7ed192f08982.png

Edited by The Space Peacock

version: v0.2.0 

Mods: none

CPU: 11th Gen intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1135G7 @ 2.40GHz

GPU: Intel(R) Iris(R) Xe Graphics

RAM: 16

When I first landed at the Minnus Monument I got this terrain glitch and now I got it again when landing in the Mohole

A7KtPJI.jpg

oMMQSQG.jpgmZEhzpD.jpg

O35mn5q.jpg

VNehLgB.jpg

Edited by Spicat

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: UITK for KSP 2, SpaceWarp, Patch Manager, Community Fixes, BepInEx | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 11 Home | CPU: 11th Gen i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 1.69 GHz | GPU: Intel Iris Xe integratted | RAM16 GB

When descending down to a celestial body terrain will sometimes become jagged as you get closer. Have had this happen to me when landing at Dres, Tylo and The Mun although there are probably more locations.

Do have mods installed though this happened without mods as well.

Included Attachments:

I can confirm what others have said about odd terrain near the Mun and Minmus discoverables. Here are some screenshots of my own.

Hole beneath the Mun arch:

20231225014940_1.jpg

Jagged terrain around the Minmus monument:
20231225050422_1.jpg

Posted (edited)

Also, I don't think this is integrated graphics related. I've seen this bug appear in videos from KSP YouTubers who have PCs with dedicated graphics cards (I assume).

Edit: the YouTuber below is using Intel Iris Xe graphics as well, my bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gye6nWoIcYQ

Jagged terrain near the KSC:

image.png

The Mun hole:
image.png

In this mission, Smooneychad actually goes into the hole, which makes him fall into the center of the Mun and then slingshots him out of the Kerbin system at 20 km/s.

Edited by McThuggin
Correction about integrated graphics

Reported Version: v0.2.1 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 11 | CPU: i7-1165G7 | GPU: Iris Xe Graphics | RAM15.75GB

I expected to visit the Mun arch to claim science points and progress in science mode.

I was unable to visit Mun arch because there's a gigantic mohole-like hole under it for about half a kilometer around.

I'm not sure how to replicate the behavior since the buggy element is the environment. I landed 7.9km away and walked to the structure.

Included Attachments:

Reported Version: v0.2.1 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 11 | CPU: 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1235U 1.30 GHz | GPU: Intel(R) Iris(R)Xe Graphics | RAM16G RAM

As shown in the figure below, I have discovered a terrain bug in Minmus. Minmus has many terrains that resemble small mounds and are particularly dense.
This terrain is very dangerous for landing on landers.
Looking forward to your reply and repair!

Included Attachments: