Phantom forces when deploying landing legs/gear [Physics kick is a good description as well]

Superdavey97

Reported Version: v0.1.3.1 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 10 | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz 3.19 GHz | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER | RAM16.0 GB

When deploying the wallaby landing gear as soon as the animation finishes the craft experiences a jolt that can cause the landing gear or other parts to fall of if the craft is going to fast.

Edited by Anth12

Reported Version: v0.1.3.1 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 11 (22H2) | CPU: i7-13700k | GPU: ASUS Tuff RTX 4070Ti | RAM32 GB DDR5 6000 CL 30 40 90

As the title says, I was in Munar orbit and I was deploying landing legs (the large ones) when they just broke off.

Included Attachments:

Screenshot2023-06-30115822.png.8bbe982e8ae2e964ed122222881c34d7.png

AutoSaveTheFirstOne6_30_202311_08AM.json

Edited by Anth12

OS: Windows 10 Home 64-bit | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 4700G | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | RAM16GB

Deploying landing gear caused it to break/fall off the fuselage, and made some of the engines break/fall off the wings. 

Spoiler

aSq6vr0.png

G12FF6R.png

Trying the same thing again with a slightly changed craft, and this time it destroyed all of the main fuselage, and resulted in a strange explosion in front of the craft. (The three "stages" might be a sign of something moving very quickly? Main culprit would be an LY-99 as only 3 of 4 are seen immediately after the RUD)

Spoiler

l0rjKxP.png

L51m445.png

bWkYEOJ.png

Perhaps an issue with clipping too many parts together, as the wheel assembly was a bit overbuilt. Landing gear attached to fuselage with aerodynamic tanks and nosecones around it. Doesn't explain the engines though, as those were mounted directly to the wings, yet broke simultaneously. 

Edited by Anth12
Changed to Imgur pics since only one was posted with the form

On 6/30/2023 at 10:26 AM, Superdavey97 said:

When deploying the wallaby landing gear as soon as the animation finishes the craft experiences a jolt that can cause the landing gear or other parts to fall of if the craft is going to fast.

2 hours ago, LuigiPlayer1 said:

and if you load a save the legs just break off even if they are not deployed

Try not saving or deploying them until being much closer to the ground.

• 3 weeks later...

Reported Version: v0.1.3.2 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 10 | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 | RAM16GB

When I deploy landing legs a certain amount of forces applies to my craft.

I haven't tried to replicate it but it happens to me a lot. The save file is what corresponding to the video. It was an Apollo style mission so maybe the docking that happened before might be a cause.

Included Attachments:

2023-07-3123-44-47.mp4

bugphantomforces.json

quicksave_18.json

Edited by Anth12

• 4 weeks later...

Also happens to landing gears in atmospheric conditions, most notably with light crafts. Appears that all the drag is applied immediately when the gears reach their deployed position, instead of gradually increasing. 

Didn't know it happens in vacuum too.

Reported Version: v0.1.4 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: windows 11 | CPU: i5 13600k | GPU: 6700 xt | RAM32 gb

When the animation for large landing gear deployment finishes the craft gets a kick

When exiting physics warp with large legs extended in proximity to the mun the ship got ripped apart

Edited by Anth12

Could you guys check on your end if the landing gear does other weird stuff when this "physics kick" happens? Such as changing its extension length?

I've had that happen to me. In fact, it's been a major headache because the legs always turn out way shorter in flight than in the VAB, frequently making stable landings outright impossible.

If this is another face of the same bug, feel free to merge my report into this one.

Reported Version: v0.1.4.1 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 11 | CPU: i7 6700K | GPU: 1080 | RAM16 GB DDR3

Some unintentional mishap led to me floating above the surface of the Mun with just one landing leg. Suddenly, I noticed this weird behavior: When I keep opening and closing the landing leg using the G hotkey and the leg pops into place, the vehicle gets a small bump of rotation. I mean I'm not a physics expert but I think that shouldn't happen. And then, after the craft did a 180, it reverses direction!! That's when I knew something's strange in the neighbourhood! We gonna call: bug busters! 

Video Evidence:
https://i.imgur.com/WVGJGVV.mp4

edit: I now tested it with all landing legs and wheels and it affects all except the small wheel LY-10. Not sure if it's not affecting it at all or if it's just too little for my big craft.

Edited by kicka55

• 3 weeks later...

I've been having a similar issue, just tested it on v0.1.5 and it's still here

To reproduce: just make a craft with a tuna can, some fuel tank and some engine. Add any rover wheel to it. Send it to the mun, with a periapsis of around 8 ~ 10km. Timewarp until you're getting there, and when you get out of timewarp near periapsis you get a physics kick that potentially dismantle the ship.

Is this issue different enough that I should make a separate bug report?

Just want to chime in that I still experience this bug as well, it's very frequent and makes landings very frustrating! Probably number 3 on my list of annoying bugs since EA launch

1 hour ago, Vl3d said:

Duplicate?

No, this one we are in is for deploying landing legs, the one you linked is when disengaging timewarp. There are also the ones on reload and on undocking (see below). They are likely to have the same cause but their reproduction steps are not the same so we didn't merge it because it's potentially not the same bug.

• 4 weeks later...

Reported Version: v0.1.5.0 (latest) | Mods: none 
OS: Windows 11 | CPU: i7 13700K | GPU: 3070ti | RAM64GB DDR4

I'm also getting this pretty regularly in 1.5.0

https://imgur.com/a/G4zcXIz

Here's an example. Lander going in to the Mun. Quite a few minutes after exiting timewarp from the transfer. Opening the gear blows one of them off the craft and sets it spinning. Closing and reopening the gear causes another bump, causing spinning in another direction. Time warping to stop spinning, and exiting time warp with the gear open also causes another bump. It seems once it happens, it continues to happen every time gear is opened or time warp is exited with gear open. Doesn't seem to happen with the same craft when on the pad or in kerbin's atmosphere.

• 2 weeks later...