how accurate is kerbnet?

I've been looking for easter eggs off and on for some time and had to give up.  Why?  Because kerbnet is hopelessly inaccurate.  It gives those question marks in clusters and when I go there I find nothing.  The best I could find was some large antennas on Kerbin and they were quite some distance from any question marks.  Mostly I find nothing after spending real time hours looking in that general area. 

So, is kerbnet accurate at all?

Kerbnet is very accurate, if used properly. 

As @Superfluous J mentioned, if you are in high orbit and click on a pixel, that pixel is probably several km wide. If you hit the wrong pixel, you can be tens of kilometers off. My first time using kerbnet i made that mistake, and ended up having to search a large area on eve. Next time i learned to lower orbit, and all my readings eere very accurate.

7 hours ago, miklkit said:

I've been looking for easter eggs off and on for some time and had to give up.  Why?  Because kerbnet is hopelessly inaccurate.  It gives those question marks in clusters and when I go there I find nothing.  The best I could find was some large antennas on Kerbin and they were quite some distance from any question marks.  Mostly I find nothing after spending real time hours looking in that general area. 

So, is kerbnet accurate at all?

So, i do suspect you're misusing kerbnet. The fact you mention clusters of question marks give it away. You are probably seeing the whole planet from afar, clicking roughly on a question mark, and get wildly inaccurate.

When you make a checkpoint, kerbnet marks the exact spot you click, not the position of any anomaly.

Try to refine the position of the anomalies by going in a lower orbit, and being more careful of where exactly you click the checkpoint

I have used kerbnet in orbit, in planes, and on the ground and I kept getting loads of question marks in an area as large as 50X50K large.  I have wasted real time weeks searching large areas and finding nothing.  I want to try again but do not want to waste time like that again.  I no longer have screenies of a dozen or more question marks clustered on the map.

19 hours ago, miklkit said:

I have used kerbnet in orbit, in planes, and on the ground and I kept getting loads of question marks in an area as large as 50X50K large.  I have wasted real time weeks searching large areas and finding nothing.  I want to try again but do not want to waste time like that again.  I no longer have screenies of a dozen or more question marks clustered on the map.

huh. that's... definitely not how kerbnet should work.

those are examples of how it should work

kPyxEeC.png

17Hbg8d.png

qRscVBO.png

as you can see, there are 1 or 2 anomalies at most - except on mun and kerbin. and I get more accuracy the closer I go. if you see many question marks in a small area, and there's nothing...

there are contracts that have you look for anomalies, and lead you into a chase as you go looking various places. maybe those question marks are spawned by those contracts? if that's not the case, i really have no idea. it could be a mod issue. it's definitely not working as intended, because kerbnet is accurate and does not mislead

That is what made me stop looking for anomalies.  For instance a large cluster appeared just South of the KSC.  They covered a large area and even some islands in the area.  I spent quite some time looking and all I found was one large crystal. 

That said I just started looking on the Mun and found 2 question marks close together.  Went there and after some searching I found the Armstrong Memorial and a monolith.  They were in the general area but not visible without much searching.  Will keep looking for more.

6 hours ago, miklkit said:

That is what made me stop looking for anomalies.  For instance a large cluster appeared just South of the KSC.  They covered a large area and even some islands in the area.  I spent quite some time looking and all I found was one large crystal. 

crystals are surface features, and should not feature in kerbnet. really weird.

Yeah, that is why I gave up on finding easter eggs.  Most of the things on Kerbin remain undiscovered.  Like I said I am just starting to look again and hope it will work better now.   So far have not found anything new.

Edited by miklkit

19 hours ago, miklkit said:

Yeah, that is why I gave up on finding easter eggs.  Most of the things on Kerbin remain undiscovered.  Like I said I am just starting to look again and hope it will work better now.   So far have not found anything new.

https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/List_of_easter_eggs

you can find coordinates for easter eggs here. except for the green monolith, which spawns randomly

Yeah I wrote them down.  Went looking for one and have a scanner with both an okto and the avionics hub.  It flew over it and the okto did not see it but the avionics hub did.  The great thing is that only one question mark showed up.  I think that the clusters of question marks were part of a general software conflict with KSP that was only resolved with an all new Win10 install.  KSP runs MUCH better now.  More testing needed and there are supposedly some things around the South Pole.  Oh, guess where it was located?

RVfBZTD.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.