Weekly Challenge #27: ESA Argonaut Replica

• Community Lead

Challenge26_ESAArgonaut_Landscape_V3 (1).png

Primary: Create a replica of ESA's Argonaut Moon lander (https://www.esa.int/Science_Exploration/Human_and_Robotic_Exploration/Exploration/Argonaut)
Secondary: The Argonaut is designed to land a variety of payloads on the Moon. Make a creative payload for your replica to carry.
Jeb: Use the Argonaut to land and deploy your payload to the surface of the Mun.
Val: Use multiple Argonaut flights to land a series of Mun base components at the same site on the Mun.

2 hours ago, Nerdy_Mike said:

Challenge26_ESAArgonaut_Landscape_V3 (1).png

Primary: Create a replica of ESA's Argonaut Moon lander (https://www.esa.int/Science_Exploration/Human_and_Robotic_Exploration/Exploration/Argonaut)
Secondary: The Argonaut is designed to land a variety of payloads on the Moon. Make a creative payload for your replica to carry.
Jeb: Use the Argonaut to land and deploy your payload to the surface of the Mun.
Val: Use multiple Argonaut flights to land a series of Mun base components at the same site on the Mun.

Just so you know on light mode the text is almost impossible to read as its white on a white background

..i definetly can land on Mun. I can hit the same spot repeatedly... i try this sunday morning. :rolleyes: 

I need a serious and reasonable Munbase, my Kerbals must now face the true menace of earning their snacks by doing actual work. Holidays are over now.

Well i got this thing together, it was very interesting to see why ESA went for this system...

My Ariane 64 sports like the original just one main lift engine and can not leave the pad without additional solid rocket boosters, i also resized the Argonaut lander to fit into the 3.75m payload shroud. The upperstage and the lander also have quite a lot of dV for this task but i could not resist to overbuild them a bit for safety.

First i fired up a crewmodule with three Kerbals, then a nuclear reactor and for good measure a munrover attached to a small crane thing with ant rocketmotors to get the rover down safely.

I landed all of them aside a huge butte at the edge of a mare so my Kerbals can use the rover to explore this weird feature that should not exist at all.

One picture of my Ariane 64, the mission in the spoiler:

oby5Rsf.png

Spoiler

toK7D0c.png

bENmRnr.png

rl5ClDb.png

iAhvA1g.png

En1aoaR.png

Kvv3XFV.pngbUUuaaR.png

fNxIehA.png

Last but not least i discovered that my Kerbal cannot leave the seat due to occlusion, i guess he will rove around for a while until this is solved somehow... :D

Great challenge , took me some hours to work it out! :rolleyes:

Edited by Mikki
spell, typo yeah tell me

21 hours ago, Astroneer08 said:

I know RCE would do this, but it'd be the UK space agency

Please explain RCE...:confused: Edit: got it, remote code execution... yeah...:P

Edited by Mikki

I made an attempt, but a lot of my 0.1.3 launches had issues... I tried again in 0.1.4, which was decidedly more successful.

LlSCG9G.png became NMS0lWp.png

And I landed:

Spoiler

Comms Unit:
1XyUVJO.png

Lab:

UObfJZq.png

Power Unit:

0T6Vg6P.png

And the heaviest - Supplies:

m1iDIwF.png

The supplies were really at the limit of what that setup could handle.

The launcher was practically at TWR 1.0 when you light the rockets, and the lander was down to 200dV parked.

A few tweaks would leave more fuel available. Amazingly those 6 tiny engines had enough thrust to land the heavy load easily. Definitely more than what was needed.

Edited by PyroSA

On 8/29/2023 at 11:31 AM, Mikki said:

Please explain RCE...:confused: Edit: got it, remote code execution... yeah...:P

RCE is a youtuber who did KSPs 1 & 2 for a couple of times, you should check him out. I find him very funny.

He has the record for most stages in a rocket, widest plane, and I think tallest plane too.