Struts in Symmetry Don't Connect Correctly When 2 Inline Parts are Facing Away/Towards Each Other

Spicat

Bug Report

Reported Version: v0.1.4 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 10 | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 | RAM16GB

Problem:

FubbMLr.jpg

Steps to Replicate:

1. Put one inline part
  2. Put another inline part and rotate it in a way that it's "in mirror" with the other part
  3. Use symmetry of 3 or above
  4. Place struts between the two parts

Additional information:

• Both parts don't have to be the same (It just need to be rotated by 180° ("in mirror")):

Aah4092.jpg

Included Attachments:

Edited by Anth12

16 answers to this question

3 hours ago, 00Dave said:

first i always see if i cant tweek it, but if not i have to delete, then look for the extra struts that are left (4x will leave 3 after i hit backspace). so i can either delete all extras or just Half and then while having Sym set to either 2 or Mirror i set them

This is another bug:

Maybe I made a change to the craft. I've got a two Hydrogen ball/swerv ship whereI flip a duplicate and join. Used to be able to strut directly  between them, then started seeing the twisty. It's possible I rearranged the coupling sequence and introduced the problem about the time 1.4 came out.

Struts.1.jpg

Edited by Filed.Teeth

This problem there from the beginning version.

This can happen even with simple structures.

I think, this is due to the incorrect direction of its rotation when the surfaces are facing different directions.OBYgL5M.png

Edited by Lapp

Had this since 1.2.

happens to me for different reasons, from large part count, differing angels, short connect runs,  just trying to mirror, or to *inverted parts.                                                                                                                                 (*game reads parts in one directions and can get criss crossed)        i get it with 4x or more. (i dont really do 3x strut)

first i always see if i cant tweek it, but if not i have to delete, then look for the extra struts that are left (4x will leave 3 after i hit backspace). so i can either delete all extras or just Half and then while having Sym set to either 2 or Mirror i set them

Edited by 00Dave
had a bit more to add

Perhaps I have made a significant alteration to the craft. I have developed a unique two Hydrogen ball/swerv ship, where I duplicate and merge them. Initially, I could easily connect them with a strut, but then I began to notice a peculiar twist. It is plausible that I inadvertently modified the coupling sequence, which subsequently caused the issue around the release of version 1.4.

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 11 23H2 | CPU: 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-11400H | GPU: Nvidia 3050 RTX Laptop GPU | RAM16GB DDR4-3200

When attaching struts to an above decoupler that is flipped upside-down using symmetry (using the 'w' key), the struts attached using symmetry will have seemingly inverted connections to the ones on the decoupler and base fuel tank.

Included Attachments:

Edited by The Space Peacock

+1 here. Was going to add struts under the impression it would just have a single one going between the four SRBs, result was spaghetti with them clipping through and ending outside the part unconnected.

Aircraft symmetry seems to be a work around, but that only applies to two parts at a time.

I have a video but unsure on how to submit to forum post, would just a pure bug report rather than reply be preferable?

VzsUsxf.jpg

Edited by Chel