Artemis: To the Moon and beyond!

On December 5th 2014, a Delta IV heavy rocket thundered into the skies above Cape Canaveral, carrying a prototype of NASA's new Orion spacecraft.

4ZtajsO.png

The mission was a success, but behind the awe of the launch, NASA was in shambles: It was building a capsule with no intended use, and a rocket to launch it to nowhere! During this period, it was doubted if the Space Launch System would ever even fly, lest do anything of note.

However, this was anything but a sign of things to come - In late 2017, the leftover elements of past programs such as Constellation and the Asteroid Redirect missions, were collated and reformed under a unified program, one which gave a goal and a future to Orion and SLS, one which would achieve NASA's 50 year objective of returning Humans to the Moon. It's name?

ZGEVKbF.png

The Project

In this Project, me and @Jacktical are aiming to recreate all the past present and future Artemis missions, Including:

- NASA launches
- Commercial partner launches
- International partner launches
- And more

We are hoping to keep this semi-realistic, with the initial Artemis missions playing out as is currently planned by NASA, with later missions coming (hopefully) our own interpretations and hopes for the future of Human Spaceflight

Posts should be regular enough, but we aren't gonna make a strict schedule for it

It's time to return to the Moon!

NEXT LAUNCH: CAPSTONE

u8tqA3N.png

Edited by AmateurAstronaut1969

NASA-Rocket Lab | CAPSTONE  | 28 June 2022

PU5ZYzV.png

NASA's "CAPSTONE" mission, which stands for "Cislunar Autonomous Positioning System Technology Operations and Navigation Experiment," was designed to test and validate key technologies and operational concepts needed for NASA's Artemis program, which aims to return astronauts to the Moon and eventually establish a sustainable human presence there. 

aQVbWrc.png

The primary goals of the mission are as follows:

1. Lunar Gateway Navigation: CAPSTONE was tasked with proving the ability to navigate in a unique orbit around the Moon known as a near-rectilinear halo orbit (NRHO). This orbit is intended for NASA's Lunar Gateway, a space station that will serve as a staging point for lunar missions.

2. Autonomous Navigation: The mission sought to demonstrate autonomous navigation capabilities, allowing the spacecraft to make its own decisions regarding orbital maneuvers and position adjustments, reducing the need for constant ground control.

3. Spacecraft Communications: CAPSTONE aimed to test the spacecraft's communication systems in the lunar environment, including its ability to communicate with the Lunar Gateway and Earth.

BQfGlTR.png

Liftoff from LC-1 at Rocket Lab's Mahia launch complex.

pnqIAET.png

The Electron rocket included the NASA worm to signal the collaborative mission between the two partners.

ACYfSD3.png

MECO and second-stage ignition.

ZUJD4L1.png

Fairing Separation.

YNHaM36.png

Providing the final kick towards the moon is Rocket Lab's Lunar Photon kick stage.

dJchWZj.png

Lunar Photon Separation.

anDI7Ou.png

Due to its ballistic transfer, CAPSTONE took three months to reach lunar insertion.

XFiDeTM.png

CAPSTONE spent the next six months collecting data, flying within 1,000 miles (1,600 km) of the Moon’s North Pole on its near pass and 43,500 miles (70,000 km) from the South Pole at its farthest.

MRUcDHa.png

NEXT LAUNCH: ARTEMIS I

• 2 weeks later...

Dang it, I was thinking of making the exact same thing :mad:! I knew it was odd that I didn't see anything like this when I tried looking!
Good thing I changed my mind a little while ago for something else...

But seriously, I am very hyped to see where this is going to go. Godspeed, Amateur and Jack! :D

On 10/6/2023 at 1:57 PM, Toaster355 said:

Dang it, I was thinking of making the exact same thing :mad:! I knew it was odd that I didn't see anything like this when I tried looking!
Good thing I changed my mind a little while ago for something else...

But seriously, I am very hyped to see where this is going to go. Godspeed, Amateur and Jack! :D

same i have a link to my low quality version in my signature lol

NASA | Artemis 1  | 16th November 2022

nVXdaf8.png

A mission 12 years in the making, the Space Launch System finally prepares to launch. Marking the beginning of a new era of Spaceflight, Artemis 1 will be an all up test of the SLS rocket and it's Orion spacecraft. SLS will launch from the newly refurbished LC-39B, from Mobile Launcher 1, another remnant of the Constellation program.

A05C4Xl.png

Standing at 98m tall, the SLS consists of the booster stage, a set of extended RSRBs, salvaged from the Shuttle program, a core stage, somewhat derived from the Shuttle's External Tank, and the Interim Cryogenic Upper Stage (ICPS), adapted from the Delta IV. This is the SLS Block 1. However, as the upper stage describes, Block 1 is only Interim - Due to budgetary concerns, it's designed as a stopgap before much more evolved configurations SLS. Despite this, it's designed for one job: Sending Orion to the Moon.

P5B5Oqn.png

At the very top of SLS is Orion, NASA's deep space Spacecraft, designed with the most important element in mind - The Astronauts. It's made of 3 major parts; The Crew Module (CM), the European Service Module (ESM) and the Launch Abort System (LAS). Artemis 1 will launch uncrewed, with the first crewed flight following 2 years later.

NLVS06W.png

''...and here we go.
Hydrogen burn-off ignitors initiated

Core stage engines start...

Boosters ignijition! And liftoff of Artemis 1!''

dCx5OfM.png

''We rise together, back to the Moon and Beyond!''

OdWiFRq.png

''All 4 RS-25 engines on the core stage and 2 solid rocket boosters now propelling the vehicle at 128mph...now 30s into the flight of Artemis 1''

sSR1zMU.png

SLS ascends into the Heavens and begins a new chapter in Human spaceflight.

7DaDR9x.png

''Confirmation that the Solid Rocket Boosters have separated''

KoSTaQW.png

GSUVXjV.png

Orion sheds its ESM fairings and LAS shroud

zQJ1BEi.png

rTNxS1C.png

Core stage shut-off and ICPS separation.
YFdK75X.png

Arriving in an eccentric low earth orbit, Orion deploys it's solar panels and begins to prepare for Trans-Lunar injection
aKQ4iV2.png

Orion begins TLI as it emerges into daylight
ZJ3kYr3.png

UH9t6O3.png

Orion seperates from ICPS, leaving the upper stage to deploy its set of smallsats.

2rOf1Ll.png

2VgXJU7.png

o9VDaOp.png

5 days later, Orion approaches the Moon

ekROsLf.png

b9FZMj7.png

8PEnnf5.png

Orion now ignites its OMS engine, to insert it into an eliptical Lunar Orbit
3jcz2Zs.png

At its Apalune, Orion circularises, inserting itself into Distant Retrograde Orbit (DRO)

X9PVSMM.png

qgIdD1F.png

F8h0kHx.png

After half an orbit in DRO, Orion fires retrograde to lower its Perilune, at which point it fires up it's OMS engine once again to send itself on a return trajectory towards Earth.
SemEpNt.png

PhjQmly.png

qk4ZPhl.png

by5rvMx.png

Orion arrives at Earth and prepares for ESM separation
ZtqL8MW.png

zsJBeZe.png

Orion re-orients for reentry, approaching earth at 25,000mph

C6ICZVB.png

Orion deploys it's parachutes to deccelerate all the way down to a safe 25mph

rhMt1yx.png

EpbeCmZ.png

BDI6vJd.png

''From Tranquility base to Taurus Littrow to the Tranquil waters of the pacific, the latest chapter of NASA's journey to the moon comes to a close - Orion back on Earth!''

3DotM4G.png

NASA's first step on the road to the Moon has been achieved...

NEXT LAUNCH: Starship IFT-1

Edited by AmateurAstronaut1969

50 minutes ago, AmateurAstronaut1969 said:

nVXdaf8.png

A mission 12 years in the making, the Space Launch System finally prepares to launch. Marking the beginning of a new era of Spaceflight, Artemis 1 will be an all up test of the SLS rocket and it's Orion spacecraft. SLS will launch from the newly refurbished LC-39B, from Mobile Launcher 1, another remnant of the Constellation program.

A05C4Xl.png

Standing at 98m tall, the SLS consists of the booster stage, a set of extended RSRBs, salvaged from the Shuttle program, a core stage, somewhat derived from the Shuttle's External Tank, and the Interim Cryogenic Upper Stage (ICPS), adapted from the Delta IV. This is the SLS Block 1. However, as the upper stage describes, Block 1 is only Interim - Due to budgetary concerns, it's designed as a stopgap before much more evolved configurations SLS. Despite this, it's designed for one job: Sending Orion to the Moon.

P5B5Oqn.png

At the very top of SLS is Orion, NASA's deep space Spacecraft, designed with the most important element in mind - The Astronauts. It's made of 3 major parts; The Crew Module (CM), the European Service Module (ESM) and the Launch Abort System (LAS). Artemis 1 will launch uncrewed, with the first crewed flight following 2 years later.

NLVS06W.png

''...and here we go.

dCx5OfM.png

OdWiFRq.png

''All 4 RS-25 engines on the core stage and 2 solid rocket boosters now propelling the vehicle at 128mph...now 30s into the flight of Artemis 1''

https://imgur.com/sSR1zMUsSR1zMU.png

7DaDR9x.png

KoSTaQW.png

GSUVXjV.png

zQJ1BEi.png

rTNxS1C.png

YFdK75X.png

Arriving in an eccentric low earth orbit, Orion deploys it's solar panels and begins to prepare for Trans-Lunar injection
aKQ4iV2.png

ZJ3kYr3.png

UH9t6O3.png

Orion seperates from ICPS, leaving the upper stage to deploy its set of smallsats.

2rOf1Ll.png

2VgXJU7.png

o9VDaOp.png

ekROsLf.png

b9FZMj7.png

8PEnnf5.png

3jcz2Zs.png

At its Apalune, Orion circularises, inserting itself into Distant Retrograde Orbit (DRO)

X9PVSMM.png

qgIdD1F.png

F8h0kHx.png

After half an orbit in DRO, Orion fires retrograde to lower its Perilune, at which point it fires up it's OMS engine once again to send itself on a return trajectory towards Earth.
SemEpNt.png

PhjQmly.png

qk4ZPhl.png

by5rvMx.png

ZtqL8MW.png

zsJBeZe.png

C6ICZVB.png

rhMt1yx.png

EpbeCmZ.png

BDI6vJd.png

''From Tranquility base to Taurus Litro to the Tranquil waters of the pacific, the latest chapter of NASA's journey to the moon comes to a close - Orion back on Earth!''

3DotM4G.png

How does your moon look SO good. :o

Anyways that was one of the best mission reports I have ever read. Can't wait for IFT-1. :D

23 minutes ago, Royalswissarmyknife said:

How does your moon look SO good. :o

Anyways that was one of the best mission reports I have ever read. Can't wait for IFT-1. :D

Thanks man :cool:

The moon is from KSRSS reborn, which recently got 16k textures. It does have a 64k addon for earth moon and mars, but I didn’t manage to get that working

3 hours ago, AmateurAstronaut1969 said:

nVXdaf8.png

A05C4Xl.png

P5B5Oqn.png

NLVS06W.png

''...and here we go.

dCx5OfM.png

OdWiFRq.png

sSR1zMU.png

7DaDR9x.png

KoSTaQW.png

GSUVXjV.png

zQJ1BEi.png

rTNxS1C.png

YFdK75X.png

aKQ4iV2.png

ZJ3kYr3.png

UH9t6O3.png

2rOf1Ll.png

2VgXJU7.png

o9VDaOp.png

ekROsLf.png

b9FZMj7.png

8PEnnf5.png

3jcz2Zs.png

X9PVSMM.png

qgIdD1F.png

F8h0kHx.png

SemEpNt.png

PhjQmly.png

qk4ZPhl.png

by5rvMx.png

ZtqL8MW.png

zsJBeZe.png

C6ICZVB.png

rhMt1yx.png

EpbeCmZ.png

BDI6vJd.png

''From Tranquility base to Taurus Litro to the Tranquil waters of the pacific, the latest chapter of NASA's journey to the moon comes to a close - Orion back on Earth!''

3DotM4G.png

HOLY SHIP THAT IS AMAZING

also for the starship IFT-1 i have an handy transcript on my twitter acc @AIIThingsSpace3

also i beilive litro is spelt litrow  

Edited by kspbutitscursed

On 10/15/2023 at 1:23 PM, AmateurAstronaut1969 said:

nVXdaf8.png

A05C4Xl.png

P5B5Oqn.png

NLVS06W.png

''...and here we go.

dCx5OfM.png

OdWiFRq.png

sSR1zMU.png

7DaDR9x.png

KoSTaQW.png

GSUVXjV.png

zQJ1BEi.png

rTNxS1C.png

YFdK75X.png

aKQ4iV2.png

ZJ3kYr3.png

UH9t6O3.png

2rOf1Ll.png

2VgXJU7.png

o9VDaOp.png

ekROsLf.png

b9FZMj7.png

8PEnnf5.png

3jcz2Zs.png

X9PVSMM.png

qgIdD1F.png

F8h0kHx.png

SemEpNt.png

PhjQmly.png

qk4ZPhl.png

by5rvMx.png

ZtqL8MW.png

zsJBeZe.png

C6ICZVB.png

rhMt1yx.png

EpbeCmZ.png

BDI6vJd.png

''From Tranquility base to Taurus Littrow to the Tranquil waters of the pacific, the latest chapter of NASA's journey to the moon comes to a close - Orion back on Earth!''

3DotM4G.png

I'm just gonna yoink those screenshots and use them as wallpapers for my phone...

That was an incredible mission report, to say the least!!!
I'm glad you made an Artemis thread instead of me, because you did it infinitely better than I could have.

I think what carries it is the portrait screenshots, and of course, TUFX.
The screenies themselves aren't actually too different than mine; you use a similar (not really) TUFX profile to me, but the use of portrait screenshots makes them look larger and more epic.

Fantastic work mates! Super excited for Starship Integrated Flight Test-1 :D

Edited by Toaster355
Embarrassing Typos

SpaceX|Starship IFT-1|20th April 2023

Uutd2Eq.png

After a series of high-altitude flight tests culminating in the successful landing of SN15, SpaceX set its eyes on the first orbital test flight. While originally planning on using Booster 4 and Ship 20, the design was deemed too obsolete to fly and swapped over to the newer Booster 7 and Ship 24.

n4t6T0K.png

Standing 121m tall and 9m wide, Starship is the tallest and most powerful launch vehicle ever developed. Starship is planned to be fully reusable, with both its Superheavy booster and Starship upper stage being caught by a pair of mechanical arms attached to the tower, dubbed Mechazilla by Elon. 

MEZ6THW.png

msuBRUF.png

Starship is currently being developed in Starbase, Texas and will later fly from LC-39A and potentially LC-49 at Kennedy Space Center. NASA has selected Starship HLS as a lander for the Artemis 3 and Artemis 4 missions.

n0oBH6F.png

"Starship second stage main fuel and LOx tanks are loaded for flight right now. The Superheavy first stage booster propellant loading is continuing."

bqjsrqk.png

"5

Booster ignition...

We have liftoff!"

Vb9weIQ.png

"T+33 seconds into the test flight of the inaugural  Starship vehicle"

1jkTGLr.png

"We are flying at twice the thrust of the Saturn V heading to space"

PBdPu1Z.png

"I'M GONNA BE ON THAT THING"

Screams Tim Dodd, Everyday Astronaut and future dearMoon crew member.

nI4vWXG.png

Multiple raptor engines failed during flight. The vehicle rose to a maximum altitude of 39km before losing control and entering a spin. The Autonomous Flight Termination System (AFTS) destroyed the vehicle around 40 seconds after being triggered.

86JenuK.png

"As we promised, an exciting end to the inaugural Starship integrated test flight!"

With the launch of Starship, SpaceX have begun the journey towards the era of fully reusable spaceflight...

NEXT LAUNCH:  Starship IFT-2

Edited by Jacktical

On 10/19/2023 at 3:20 AM, Jacktical said:

SpaceX|Starship IFT-1|20th April 2023

Uutd2Eq.png

After a series of high-altitude flight tests culminating in the successful landing of SN15, SpaceX set its eyes on the first orbital test flight. While originally planning on using Booster 4 and Ship 20, the design was deemed too obsolete to fly and swapped over to the newer Booster 7 and Ship 24.

n4t6T0K.png

Standing 121m tall and 9m wide, Starship is the tallest and most powerful launch vehicle ever developed. Starship is planned to be fully reusable, with both its Superheavy booster and Starship upper stage being caught by a pair of mechanical arms attached to the tower, dubbed Mechazilla by Elon. 

MEZ6THW.png

msuBRUF.png

Starship is currently being developed in Starbase, Texas and will later fly from LC-39A and potentially LC-49 at Kennedy Space Center. NASA has selected Starship HLS as a lander for the Artemis 3 and Artemis 4 missions.

n0oBH6F.png

"Starship second stage main fuel and LOx tanks are loaded for flight right now. The Superheavy first stage booster propellant loading is continuing."

bqjsrqk.png

"5

Booster ignition...

We have liftoff!"

Vb9weIQ.png

"T+33 seconds into the test flight of the inaugural  Starship vehicle"

1jkTGLr.png

"We are flying at twice the thrust of the Saturn V heading to space"

PBdPu1Z.png

"I'M GONNA BE ON THAT THING"

Screams Tim Dodd, Everyday Astronaut and future dearMoon crew member.

nI4vWXG.png

Multiple raptor engines failed during flight. The vehicle rose to a maximum altitude of 39km before losing control and entering a spin. The Autonomous Flight Termination System (AFTS) destroyed the vehicle around 40 seconds after being triggered.

86JenuK.png

"As we promised, an exciting end to the inaugural Starship integrated test flight!"

With the launch of Starship, SpaceX have begun the journey towards the era of fully reusable spaceflight...

NEXT LAUNCH:  Vulcan CERT-1

Amazing views here coming to us from starbase texas,

*cheering*

flight director is go for flight.

ignition

3 engines fail to ignite

we have liftoff 

clear tower go to procedure 3 decimal 100 (idk) post launch flight operations

booster engines are norminal 

*engine 19 rud*

T+33 seconds into the test flight of the inaugural starship vehicles tower clear we are into pitch over propulsion reporting first stage engine are nominal what a sight from the ground cameras at Starbase we are traveling at twice the thrust of the Saturn v heading to space.  

we are coming up on max Q the maximum dynamic pressure on the vehicle 

Max Q

call out of max Q now

Edited by kspbutitscursed