Borderless Mode Doesn't Work in KSP2

Anth

Bug Report

Reported Version: v0.1.4.1 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 

Issue 1: BORDERLESS Not Working.

Spoiler

BORDERLESS's Observed behavior:

• If KSP2's resolution is less than Window 10s current resolution, it will be stretched out to fill the screen.
  • It will act like its FULLSCREEN not allowing the player to move their mouse pointer to another screen
  • It will act like its FULLSCREEN when Alt Tabbing, vanishing/minimizing KSP2

WINDOWED's Observed Behavior:

• Reflects the set resolution as a window within Windows 10's bigger resolution
  • It allows the mouse pointer to move outside KSP2's window and to the other monitor
  • It never minimizes/disappears when using Alt Tab.

Video Evidence:
https://youtu.be/yB5gLv_UttM 

Replication Steps for 1440p:

1. Have Windows 10 at a resolution of 2560x1440 (native)
  2. Change to WINDOWED Mode
  3. Change to minimum resolution (1280x720) (Note that OBS didn't pick this up but it did happen)
  4. Change to BORDERLESS (Note 1280x720 is stretched to 2560x1440. Also Note the lack of Monitor changing actual resolution (That comes with screen flickering)
  5. Change to WINDOWED Mode (Its appears to be 1280x720 without stretching + having the title bar)
  6. Change back to BORDERLESS (Note mouse pointer is trapped within KSP2 screen and not being able to move to the other screen which is on the right)
  7. In BORDERLESS Use Alt-Tab to lose and gain focus on KSP2 (Note KSP2 minimizes/disappear and then pops back up after returning focus)
  8. Note towards the end of the video WINDOWED Mode not being affected by Alt-Tab

Work Around:
Add the following to the Launch Options within Steam and also to shortcuts that point to the executable:

1. -popupwindow
  2. Set KSP2 to WINDOWED Mode

Conclusion:
BORDERLESS should be identical to WINDOWED but without the title bar or the ability to be dragged.

Issue 2: Setting to BORDERLESS and Restarting KSP2 is Forced to be FULLSCREEN.

Spoiler

Steps to Replicate:

1. Set to BORDERLESS
  2. Exit out of the settings screen (this is when the settings config file is updated)
  3. Restart KSP2 and it's been changed to FULLSCREEN

Other Bug Reports Relating to this:

Edited by Anth12

6 answers to this question

Reported Version: v0.1.5 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 11 | CPU: i7-12700K | GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 | RAM32GB

The borderless setting does not seem to save to the settings.json file.  

Steps to reproduce:

1. Note FullScreenMode in settings.json file.  (Unless you are already in Windowed mode, it will be ExclusiveFullScreen)

2. Launch game.

3. Set Game Screen Mode to Borderless and exit settings.

4. Note settings.json file still says ExclusiveFullScreen.

Exiting the game after making the change does not work either. 

Note: Windowed mode does save and work as expected.

If I edit the settings.json file with the "Borderless" setting, it does work the first time the game is launched.  It will then revert back to ExclusiveFullScreen after the game is loaded.

I wonder if the problem is related to my monitor's native resolution, which is higher than the max 2560x1440 in settings?

Edited by The Space Peacock

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 10 | CPU: Intel Core i7 11th Gen | GPU: RTX 3070 | RAM32GB

Borderless window setting has no difference with fullscreen, if I click on any other monitor or press the windows key, the game disapear just as in fullscreen mode

Included Attachments:

Current version 0.2.1.0 still experiencing this issue. Windowed mode visible when not in focus, borderless self-minimizes when out of focus.

Also unable to get workaround to work when appending --popupwindow to Launch Options in Steam or the target of a manually created Windows shorcut.

Edited by JebJr