Where's Gene and Wernher von Kerman?

Lach_01298

1 minute ago, Bej Kerman said:

I think the fact an argument spawned over a couple Kerbals not appearing is proof people at this point are scraping the barrel for muck to throw at KSP 2.

In the end the inclusion or exclusion of kerbals is not a major concern. It not going to change peoples minds on buying the game or not. I was just posing the question and was wondering why they made this decision, if they have at all, who knows they could have future plans for them. 

2 minutes ago, Lach_01298 said:

In the end the inclusion or exclusion of kerbals is not a major concern. It not going to change peoples minds on buying the game or not. I was just posing the question and was wondering why they made this decision, if they have at all, who knows they could have future plans for them. 

I'm afraid only Intercept can answer that question. 

36 minutes ago, James M said:

Also, anything controversial SHOULD be debated. It's how we grow. We can't always just hide our problems away.

I don't mind a healthy debate, but if half of this thread doesn't break some forum rule or another it's really close to it.

1 hour ago, Superfluous J said:

I don't mind a healthy debate, but if half of this thread doesn't break some forum rule or another it's really close to it.

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear warfare. 

1 hour ago, Superfluous J said:

How is anything already said in this thread breaking or is near breaking any forum rules?

3 minutes ago, Lach_01298 said:

How is anything already said in this thread breaking or is near breaking any forum rules?

Politics, mostly.

And if you don't see any of the above as politics, it doesn't matter. What matters is if the moderators see it as politics. Which I'm not saying they do, but if we keep going down that road they eventually would, I expect.

15 minutes ago, James M said:

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear warfare. 

Trivia: I am the one who added the last part to that. I swear it was me. It was the 80s and I was still in school and I added that.

Period end of discussion I will hear no counter arguments.

2 hours ago, James M said:

The only reason to remove these two characters was to appeal to a vocal minority of the ksp community.

I haven’t seen any calls from the community to remove them. I think it’s more likely that the developers themselves got uncomfortable including them. 

I think with people like Wernher von Braun it’s super important to contextualize them properly. He would absolutely belong in a serious game about the history of spaceflight. That kind of game would need to deal with a lot of tricky things, like the close relationship between spaceflight and WMDs and war in general.

KSP isn’t that game, and having WvB as a friendly goofy little green alien is just jarring. I expect SQUAD was just oblivious when they added him, not everybody knows history all that well, but I think it was still a mistake.

Edited by Periple

4 hours ago, James M said:
4 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:
7 hours ago, PDCWolf said:

Yes it does.

I think the fact an argument spawned over a couple Kerbals not appearing is proof people at this point are scraping the barrel for muck to throw at KSP 2.

What part of our discussion insinuates that I intend to throw muck at KSP2? I've always been an advocate for this game's future and I remain so now. Please do not twist my words. Thanks.

Huh. I seem to remember quoting PDCWolf and not you. I'm not sure where you came from.

To be clear, IG haven't removed these particular two characters - they simply haven't gone out their way to add them into KSP2, exactly the same as every other named kerbal from KSP1 (mostly hiding in the admin building). Given that Gene mostly lived in Mission Control (which currently doesn't exist) and that having a WvB-alike is a... dubious choice, as others have already laid out, it's not widely surprising that we haven't seen either. Also WvB literally only existed in tutorials IIRC, which given that P.A.I.G.E appears to be fully voiced... yeah, kinda glad that we didn't get comedy-german-accent green blob man as representation of a controversial historical figure.

Personally, I think it's nice to see that the KSP2 team isn't just cribbing everything from KSP1, and are expressing a little bit of creativity with some fun new characters.

Edited by GluttonyReaper