Craft Wobbles and then Shakes Itself Apart After Loading a Save File

Stephensan

Bug Report

Reported Version: v0.1.5 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 11 | CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | GPU: 3070 | RAM64gb

Behavior The Bug Does:

• Upon reverting from a save, the craft wobbles and breaks itself apart.

Behavior:

Spoiler

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Launch MiniMotherShip.json Into Stable Orbit
  2. Quick Save, or Save Game
  3. Revert To That Save

Video Evidence:

Spoiler

• First Evidence (16 seconds in)
  • Second Evidence (52 seconds in)

Note:

Extra Info:

Spoiler

Information That Might Help:

1. Watching the video you can see at the same frame of destruction the top piece merges where it explodes.
  2. Parts were in a stable condition prior to using auto-save
  3. Parts Continue To Wobble After Destruction
  4. Part Clipping (Shouldn't) Have Been Used.

Additional Notes:

• Behavior Might Be Different When Relaunching Game
  • Bug Behaves Differently When Freezing and Unfreezing Game Physics Using Time Warp
  • Bug Is Random, Sparatic, And Happens Without Warning. (I have had 3 machines have this behavior but this one is easy to show and is consistent)

Full Videohttps://youtu.be/FHIBvulU9PQ?

Edited by The Space Peacock

18 answers to this question

Also going to add this

• This issue can cause Save Rot.

Save Rot, means even if you go back on saves on the craft the issue persist and is only really "fixable" by grounding the mission to the initial launch.. This will cause headaches if you built a craft and it's perfectly normal even in a sandbox state and then return on the save you actually wanted to do, put the craft where you wanted it, even made sure the issue of wobbling didn't exist.. The issue can arise after doing multiple missions and when returning to the craft regardless of which save you pick, the wobbling can start, causing a save rot, rotting the usefulness of the craft, and can cause the reverting of a lot of progress.

Save Rot, isn't end all of end all, there is a chance with enough saves that suddenly the wobbling stops, but I'm talking 30+ quicksaves/saves can go away just trying save a single craft. It is possible to get the craft in less saves "rotted" but its hard to reproduce the cause of the issue, it just starts.

Reported Version: v0.1.5 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: WIN 11 HOME | CPU: CPU AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics Base speed: 3,20 GHz Sockets: 1 Cores: 8 Logical | GPU: GPU 0 NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU Driver version: 31.0.15.4584 Driver date: 11/10/2023 | RAMMemory 16,0 GB Speed: 3200 MHz Slots used: 2 of 2 Form factor: SODIMM Hardware reserved: 676

Description:
idk what caused it but when I'm outside of Kerbin's atmosphere this vessel will suddenly start to wobble with or without SAS, sometimes it is so strong that the rocket just break. I tried to simplify it to find out what was the issue but the more parts I remove the less significant the wobble is. The vessel that I will upload can't just auto destroy due to wobble but it can be destroyed if you decouple the next stage when to rocket is going crazy. 

Original.json is my original craft that can go CRAZY

Bug.json is the simplified version that can still go pretty nuts

I tried to reduce the part count as much as possible and came up with this design of vessel that still have that bug while having a total of 8 Parts. (see SIMPLE.json)

Steps to Replicate:

1. Launch My Vessel (Don't have to orbit it , just shoot it strait up)
  2.  Warp till altitude > 70 (out of atmosphere)
  3. Stage the booster for the original craft , but not or the "bug" (simplified) craft
  4. Wait , if it don't start try to pitch round. 
  5. Activate SAS if it has started to wobble to make it worse. 

Video:

Spoiler

Included Attachments:

original.json

bug.json

SIMPLE.json

Yea I had the same conclusions : only above 70km , have something to do with faring, docking ports used as decoupler and also the change of size of the craft (Medium to small parts) , and also to temporarily prevent it you can light your engine, and the problem goes away when you stage (stage the medium size parts) (for my case)

On 11/1/2023 at 11:04 PM, Spicat said:

Someone sent me a craft that had a similar behaviour:

It seems like it's related to fairings and docking ports, but I didn't succeed to pinpoint the problem. (From what I've tested it only happens after 70000m)

Here the craft file: KSS Duct Tape.json

Edited by 142857

OS: Windows | CPU: GenuineIntel 13th Gen Intel(R) Core (TM) i7-13700H | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Laptop GPU | RAM1 TB

I had offset a Clydesdale booster slightly into a TT-440 XL radial decoupler. Upon Launching my rocket, the boosters began to shake themselves to pieces!

Included Attachments:

AT-cm_AhAhw1Ik0wpatk2hNfhvtA.mp4

OS: Windows 11 | CPU: Intel i9-9750H | GPU: RTX3060 | RAM32GB

Sometimes when loading a save, the vessel will shudder until it breaks apart. I think it may have to do with clipped parts. When testing with the attached save, it occurred 3 out of 4 times (video shows 2 loads of the save, with an instance of the bug occurring on the second load).

Included Attachments:

OrbitalRelay.json

autosave_1.json

Reported Version: v0.2.1 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 

I expected my rocket to not act up before and during launch, only to end up attacked by, you guessed it, a Kraken, it usually happened when I had 6, maybe 8, Kickback SRBs attached to extended radial decouplers with the same amount as the SRBs, so that I could increase my Δv to reach Minmus, it would end up causing the rocket to squirm around at the launchpad or during flight, the only way that I managed to stop it was by reverting to launch.

Included Attachments: