Setting up a wiki.kerbalspaceprogram2.com

Is there any way IG can set up an officially hosted wiki like with ksp1 so we don't have to put up with a wiki hosted on Fandom's garbage ecosystem?

I think having a real wiki would also further... further the game's focus on being accessible to new users.

• 1 month later...
On 10/28/2023 at 11:51 AM, mattihase said:

Is there any way IG can set up an officially hosted wiki like with ksp1 so we don't have to put up with a wiki hosted on Fandom's garbage ecosystem?

I think having a real wiki would also further... further the game's focus on being accessible to new users.

if enough people are interested in moving away from the fandom trash, ksp2.kerbal.wiki could be setup.

1 hour ago, sincep said:

I've already started to add ksp2 stuff to https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com. And I'm not the only one.  I would like to tell everyone to help! 

One of the issues is that pretty much every single page on the wiki will need two different versions, for example the masses and densities of all the planets are slightly different in KSP2, biomes work completely differently, parts have different stats, etc., so I think it would just be for the best to have a completely separate wiki for KSP2.

12 minutes ago, munix said:

One of the issues is that pretty much every single page on the wiki will need two different versions, for example the masses and densities of all the planets are slightly different in KSP2, biomes work completely differently, parts have different stats, etc., so I think it would just be for the best to have a completely separate wiki for KSP2.

Just do what SW wiki did https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Alliance_to_Restore_the_Republic/Legends

A simple button to switch between realities. And so, a https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Eve/KSP2 could exist

18 hours ago, munix said:

Not necessarily! The wiki  software (MediaWiki) have all the tools the community needs to afford this thing. KSP has a community waiting to massively restart to write the history of the game. 

It's already happening. For example: Kerbin (like duna Duna, the Kerbol System and other) already has a single main page about the concept of the planet with different sections about the KSP1 and KSP2 differences. The community did a wonderful job with KSP1: let's them to continue. The risk is of dispersing the know-how.

KSP1 nad KSP2 specific pages can of course exist for example for Easter eggs or parts lists, the community will (they are still doing) find the right way!

EDIT: i mean: we could already have this talk in the talk pages of the wiki! 

Edited by sincep

5 hours ago, sincep said:

Not necessarily! The wiki  software (MediaWiki) have all the tools the community needs to afford this thing. KSP has a community waiting to massively restart to write the history of the game. 

It's already happening. For example: Kerbin (like duna Duna, the Kerbol System and other) already has a single main page about the concept of the planet with different sections about the KSP1 and KSP2 differences. The community did a wonderful job with KSP1: let's them to continue. The risk is of dispersing the know-how.

KSP1 nad KSP2 specific pages can of course exist for example for Easter eggs or parts lists, the community will (they are still doing) find the right way!

EDIT: i mean: we could already have this talk in the talk pages of the wiki! 

I wouldn't mind the solution presented by @The Aziz above, with two tabs for the two games, but as it is, I feel like it is going to be very messy to have a single page for a planet with two completely different sets of information. Also I definitely agree MediaWiki is great for this, there's a reason why I use it for the KSP2 modding wiki. What I meant was more so to have one wiki instance for KSP1, and another for KSP2, since nearly everything is different between the two games.

Edited by munix

I think 2 instances would be good with links between the 2.
We use the domain kerbal.wiki for mods currently modname.kerbal.wiki.
this could be extended to the games wiki
ksp1.kerbal.wiki - can be redirected to the current ksp1 wiki
ksp2.kerbal.wiki - can have a new media wiki instance setup and transfer over all the ksp2 content from the current ksp1 wiki. 

3 hours ago, ShadowDev said:

We use the domain kerbal.wiki for mods currently modname.kerbal.wiki.
this could be extended to the games wiki
ksp1.kerbal.wiki - can be redirected to the current ksp1 wiki
ksp2.kerbal.wiki - can have a new media wiki instance setup and transfer over all the ksp2 content from the current ksp1 wiki. 

I can't imagine the company would be too happy hosting their "official" wiki on a domain they have no control over.

I understand, you mean doing with the two versions (ksp1 and ksp2) like Wikipedia does with the different languages. My only objection is that this solution requires an organizational effort, reaching consensus, etc. While organizing both contents that the community is already slowly inserting into the instance that already exists seems more realistically reachable to me. It's also the right time since we're at the beginning of the discussion.

I can't imagine the company would be too happy hosting their "official" wiki on a domain they have no control over.

Why? The Company was ok with the wiki of KSP1, why sould be different now?  

• 2 months later...
On 1/5/2024 at 4:35 AM, sincep said:

I understand, you mean doing with the two versions (ksp1 and ksp2) like Wikipedia does with the different languages. My only objection is that this solution requires an organizational effort, reaching consensus, etc. While organizing both contents that the community is already slowly inserting into the instance that already exists seems more realistically reachable to me. It's also the right time since we're at the beginning of the discussion.

Why? The Company was ok with the wiki of KSP1, why sould be different now?  

I imagine it has to do with level of developement.

I admit the idea behind it sound amazing.

[ Let the community continue to make awesome contributions to a franchise largely kept alive by that very communitys' efforts. ]

But KSP1 and KSP2 are shaping up to be completely different entities in all things but name.  

My thoughts on this are..

When something grows beyond a single individuals ability to control. They evaluate whether or not it's worth an attempt to maintain control over.

When a global entity has this issue, they delegate.

I think if enough people from the community came together to organize and structure..but the effort would take clear communication amd dedicated work of a few to direct the creative efforts of the many into something worthwhile to use.

I think PD trying to maintain a wiki isn't going to work well. If the output of the KERB and discord / forum involvement of current CM are anything to go by ...

the wiki will get an update a few times a year.

Maybe they can recruit some members of the community to function in this capacity.

Get a helper credit on something somewhere and a bit of swag.. I don't know but a dedicated wiki that is up to date would be very bad ass

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2024 at 4:09 AM, Fizzlebop Smith said:

I think if enough people from the community came together to organize and structure

Have a look at my try on Pol in the KSP wiki, maybe it'll work.

(we should continue any discussion here: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/topic/224071-official-ksp-2-wiki)

Edited by Nazalassa