Trajectory and deltaV After Burn Do Not Match Original Plotted Maneuver [Likely due to the trajectory not correcting itself when tiny variation happens]

Scarecrow71

Bug Report

Reported Version: v0.1.5 (latest) | Mods: Community Fixes, MapView Focus and Targeting, K2D2, Micro-Engineer, Maneuver Node Controller, Flight Plan | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 11 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 | GPU: GeForce RTX 2060 Super | RAM32 GB

Created a maneuver to go from LKO to Moho.  LKO Ap ~324km, Pe ~300km.  Burn originally calculated 2279 m/s of dV, but after burn timer hits 0 bar shows dV remaining to be burned.  Furthermore, the original plotted trajectory was not matched upon burn.  Images below show the plotted course, dV requirements, and new trajectory.  Should have had an encounter with Moho after the burn finished, but no encounter at all.

DRdEU3E.png

tZs5Q54.png

KexBN4i.png

Included Attachments:

Edited by Spicat

5 answers to this question

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 

It is mostly seen when the trajectory is supposed to bend as it goes through the maneuver (the further into the maneuver, the worse it gets), and results of long burns often require corrections. With maneuvers taking into account staging, TWR and burn time, this should not be the case.

Repro steps: Launch a hydrogen-powered vessel and prepare a Moho encounter from LKO. Execute, see the result.

Attached is a perfectly executed maneuver that ended up waay off course.

Included Attachments:

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: win11 | CPU: i3-13700k | GPU: GTX 1080 Ti | RAM: 32gb

Have encountered this a lot as well.

Was using a x4 NERV setup to try and get Duna orbit. Despite accounting for burn time, the 2,500~ delta-v burn took all of my Delta-V (5,000~) and did not even get a high apospis Duna orbit. I had to swap to Terriers so this wouldn't happen.

-

I also had timewarp completely messing up, including it contuining to lower velocity outside of timewarp to the point of falling straight down towards Duna (Only happened with NERV)

Not been able to upload any attachments to the forum so can't report ^ properly

Edited by Aevitas
Clarifying

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 

That will be game over when interstellar travel arrives, if the burns can't be reliable even at Kerbin-Jool distances. A simple trajectory correction ended up in wrong place, never got even close to where I expected it to be, it went in completely wrong direction halfway through the burn (very noticeable in attachment).

Included Attachments:

burn.mp4

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.