[WIP] G.R.A.P.E.F.R.U.I.T (formerlyTankHabs) [HELP WANTED]

Don0303

3 hours ago, Don0303 said:

horizontal quarters complete!

And now i need to figure out how to get a Shuttle ET to the Surface of the Mun and Duna.

Are you going to make a horizontal Converter? it would be nice to have some with a ladder or some stairs to use in FreeIVA

4 hours ago, zakkpaz said:

And now i need to figure out how to get a Shuttle ET to the Surface of the Mun and Duna.

Are you going to make a horizontal Converter? it would be nice to have some with a ladder or some stairs to use in FreeIVA

oh definitely yes, will be released with all the horizontal parts, currently still in the works

This looks like an awesome mod. I haven't been able to find any directions for how to use it in practice, though. If I've got a floating tank in orbit of Kerbin, how do I use this mod to turn it into a habitat in situ, which I assume is the whole point of the mod? Any chance we could get a tutorial or some documentation or a demo video?

23 hours ago, tagehring said:

This looks like an awesome mod. I haven't been able to find any directions for how to use it in practice, though. If I've got a floating tank in orbit of Kerbin, how do I use this mod to turn it into a habitat in situ, which I assume is the whole point of the mod? Any chance we could get a tutorial or some documentation or a demo video?

the conversion module needs to be attached to the tank before flight, then the hab modules attached to the converter, once the tank is empty you can assemble the habs within the tank, currently you cant do it in situ without these parts being there already.

will make a video guide soon either way

edit: to clarify I would love for it to be possible in situ without having to have the parts already, I just genuinely cant think of a good way to do so that would work consistently with all tanks

Edited by Don0303
clarification

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Sudragon said:

This is amazing!  Would it be possible to get a version in the 1.875m tank size? I do a lot of work at that level.

i will definetly have a look, but I'm not certain how well habs of this mod's style will work with that size, will let you know!

Can't believe how long it has been since I checked this page. LOVE the work on the LOX Tank, a dream come true, gonna make a lot of people happy :D.

In case it got lost in the shuffle, in addition to the LOX Tank there is a donut shaped tube in the intertank that is used as the common connection between the LOX Tank, the Enterprise Cabin, and the Docking Port on the ventral portion of the SS Enterprise station. The best images of it are the original patent that the station is modeled after. I'll enclose the link and the images below.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US5350138A/en

US5350138-drawings-page-8.pngUS5350138-drawings-page-9.png

3 minutes ago, Shantaboy said:

Can't believe how long it has been since I checked this page. LOVE the work on the LOX Tank, a dream come true, gonna make a lot of people happy :D.

In case it got lost in the shuffle, in addition to the LOX Tank there is a donut shaped tube in the intertank that is used as the common connection between the LOX Tank, the Enterprise Cabin, and the Docking Port on the ventral portion of the SS Enterprise station. The best images of it are the original patent that the station is modeled after. I'll enclose the link and the images below.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US5350138A/en

US5350138-drawings-page-8.pngUS5350138-drawings-page-9.png

There aren't really any pictures of the interface between the LOX Tank and the Interstage Tube (or how it went into Enterprise for that matter) but I did find this image of the exterior dock on the ventral part of the station.

https://www.deviantart.com/aedwardbaker/art/Transposition-870115624

dee1lig-d09642e9-2a7a-426f-92af-f58d4a20

On 11/30/2023 at 12:06 PM, zakkpaz said:

I think what they are referring to is the ogive shape LOX tank which was turned into one big wet workshop accessed through the shuttles nose.

FPb8rwJ.png

Oh yeah, and this amazing piece!

My two cents: The intertank between the LOX and Hydrogen tanks fulfilling the "hab module" and "converter part" functions (to enable to the tanks to be used) would help a lot with builds that aren't based on the External Tank's Aft Cargo Carrier concept.

Edited by Shantaboy

On 1/10/2024 at 7:03 AM, Shantaboy said:

My two cents: The intertank between the LOX and Hydrogen tanks fulfilling the "hab module" and "converter part" functions (to enable to the tanks to be used) would help a lot with builds that aren't based on the External Tank's Aft Cargo Carrier concept.

have talked with some of the people behind the Space Station Enterprise story about the intertank donut, with the way the mod is designed I cant think of a way to make it a converter(possible a separate part that you can attach tanks above and below? but then it wouldn't work in the middle of large single tanks...) and I am having a look at making it work as a docking node, but the geometry is tricky with kerbal sizes and with the possibility of surface habs, will keep ppl posted (been sick lately, hence the slower upd8s)

On 1/10/2024 at 7:03 AM, Shantaboy said:

i2aqpWv.png

here we go! had to make some changes for it to work properly, but i hope i got the spirit!

Just tried it out today. This mod is looking amazing so far! I've always wanted a way to make fuel-tank derived stations, but I usually had to kinda jury-rig parts together to make a (somewhat) cohesive IVA interior. This gives me WAY more options. Though I apologize for not having any pictures. I haven't had the chance to fully implement it on any of my stations, but I've done pad-based iva tests for funsies (and because Jeb and Val insisted).

Only critique, (and you can disregard if this is in the pipeline or requires ritual kraken sacrifices) I noticed the way the mod is structured any tank you add habs to will essentially be a one-ended module (admittedly with multiple ports at one end). I'd love a way to have it so that you can freeiva your way from one end all the way to the other into connecting modules on both ends. But that's a really minor issue in an otherwise fantastic mod.

17 hours ago, Blufor878 said:

Just tried it out today. This mod is looking amazing so far! I've always wanted a way to make fuel-tank derived stations, but I usually had to kinda jury-rig parts together to make a (somewhat) cohesive IVA interior. This gives me WAY more options. Though I apologize for not having any pictures. I haven't had the chance to fully implement it on any of my stations, but I've done pad-based iva tests for funsies (and because Jeb and Val insisted).

Only critique, (and you can disregard if this is in the pipeline or requires ritual kraken sacrifices) I noticed the way the mod is structured any tank you add habs to will essentially be a one-ended module (admittedly with multiple ports at one end). I'd love a way to have it so that you can freeiva your way from one end all the way to the other into connecting modules on both ends. But that's a really minor issue in an otherwise fantastic mod.

glad you like it! the issue you mentioned has been giving me some fuss, but there are definitely plans to try and fix it, though currently, I'm uncertain how, would likely require some fiddling with docking nodes or recoupler

19 hours ago, Blufor878 said:

Cfi7yHL.png

got it working!! requires recoupler and doesn't have its own internal, but hopefully it helps with hybrid stations

Love the concept for this mod!
I just have one question, do you plan to implement compatibility for RSS/RO? I'm currently playing RP-1 and in all honesty this is the reason I started to play it, to try and make something similar to the Apollo Applications Program (the Venus Flyby mission converting the S-IVB into a wet workshop) but I haven't found a way to do it until now. This mod open the door to that idea and many more!

1 hour ago, ElAlien859 said:

Love the concept for this mod!
I just have one question, do you plan to implement compatibility for RSS/RO? I'm currently playing RP-1 and in all honesty this is the reason I started to play it, to try and make something similar to the Apollo Applications Program (the Venus Flyby mission converting the S-IVB into a wet workshop) but I haven't found a way to do it until now. This mod open the door to that idea and many more!

i would love to make this compatible with RSS/RO, though I'm not currently sure how, if anyone wants to help with compatibility it would help a ton, otherwise i will look into it alongside the coming upd8

This is an amazing mod, I'll have to download it once I get my PC! I have a suggestion: If you haven't already, create a horizontal command deck, along with a nose cone version. One thing you can do is also add a central tube down the middle of some modules if they don't need all that extra space. A few more could be some wall accessories, such as experiments, laptops, snacks, and the like, along with creating a slightly darker floor texture, which provides contrast to the design

18 hours ago, AstroWolfie said:

This is an amazing mod, I'll have to download it once I get my PC! I have a suggestion: If you haven't already, create a horizontal command deck, along with a nose cone version. One thing you can do is also add a central tube down the middle of some modules if they don't need all that extra space. A few more could be some wall accessories, such as experiments, laptops, snacks, and the like, along with creating a slightly darker floor texture, which provides contrast to the design

honestly these are all really great ideas! im definetly working on  a horizontal converter, but i assume you mean a command deck more a large command centre/bridge module, will definetly get on that! the darker floor is actually a great idea and i think im gonna start work on that right now!

Here's another suggestion: Revamped Crew Cabins: Add things like individual toilets in each cabin, (iva view in toilet cause why not), put the beds on the walls and in little cabinets  (like how the ISS has it) a calendar on the walls, various photos, some velcro things with bags on them, and making it (slightly) more cramped so it feels more like a real space station.  I'll send concept art.

11 hours ago, AstroWolfie said:

Here's another suggestion: Revamped Crew Cabins: Add things like individual toilets in each cabin, (iva view in toilet cause why not), put the beds on the walls and in little cabinets  (like how the ISS has it) a calendar on the walls, various photos, some velcro things with bags on them, and making it (slightly) more cramped so it feels more like a real space station.  I'll send concept art.

the plan for these parts is to be more luxurious and spacious and to be more designed to work with gravity, though I do think a washroom module would be a good idea, though I would probably use the NFProps enclosed WC prop instead of a modelled toilet