Save Handling between versions when the Tech Tree updates

Dakota mentioned in the discord tracker that the tech tree may change between versions. how are save files created in an older version of the game going to be handled by new versions of the game when it comes to tech tree changes. Will it handle what parts you have access to by node or by parts previously unlocked or just by crashing the game? Will crafts you could make in an older version of the tree still be launchable or will they grey out like how ksp1 does with temporary unlocked contract parts.

I think it was a bad idea to make that promise. It’s likely that they will want to make save-breaking changes and if they can’t, the game will be worse. Sometimes they might have to write code just to migrate things or maintain compatibility, and that’s effort that doesn’t go to improving the game.

3 minutes ago, Periple said:

I think it was a bad idea to make that promise. It’s likely that they will want to make save-breaking changes and if they can’t, the game will be worse. Sometimes they might have to write code just to migrate things or maintain compatibility, and that’s effort that doesn’t go to improving the game.

Oh, I didn't say it was a wise move... I fuly agree. And with close to a year between milestone updates I doubt the average save file will live that long, especially when they haven't sorted out numerous bugs (and the ones to introduce with FS).

2 hours ago, The Aziz said:

There was never any promise. Get your facts right.

No, actually there was. It was mentioned that work was done on the save files to make sure that they would continue to work from one milestone to another. Maybe technically speaking not legally bound with a contract and everything, but it was certainly mentioned.

I'm sure we remember a lot has been "mentioned" by the devs. However little survives contact with the realities of gamedev. I'd just think it neat if when 1.0 rolls around I could start a save file in 0.2 and then upgrade versions with each milestone kinda like I've seen happen with some minecraft LPs where, if you do it in steps, save files from way back in infdev can be upgraded forwards to the current version of the game.

There wasn't a promise, quite the opposite. Their goal is to make sure the saves are compatible all the way to 1.0 and beyond but since the game is in active development, they can't promise anything and things may break even despite their efforts.

I'd find it but there's too much footage to dig through and it's midnight and honestly I can't be bothered enough.

5 hours ago, The Aziz said:

There wasn't a promise, quite the opposite. Their goal is to make sure the saves are compatible all the way to 1.0 and beyond but since the game is in active development, they can't promise anything and things may break even despite their efforts.

I stand corrected. Promise or not, I think it was a bad idea to state that goal. If saves break it’ll look like they failed to meet that goal, and if they have to do extra work or make compromises to stop them from breaking, the game will suffer.

Their biggest communication problem is that they talk too much!

11 hours ago, Kerbart said:

No, actually there was. It was mentioned that work was done on the save files to make sure that they would continue to work from one milestone to another. Maybe technically speaking not legally bound with a contract and everything, but it was certainly mentioned.

Was it a promise or an aim?

15 hours ago, Periple said:

I had the same thought. Nate did mentioned once (before EA) that saves won't ensure compatibility until v1. I don't mind losing progress until then.

7 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

This community switches between "they talk too much" and "they don't talk enough" like an overclocked metronome.

I think it's more like a part of the community thinks they don't talk enough and another part thinks they talk too much, and we take turns complaining about it! :joy:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.