KSP 2 Missions, Main Story Line, Findable Slope Is To Aggressive

Hi,

You may know me as an insane person that plays ksp 2, but imma cut the chase.

Been playing KSP 2 For Science update, and I got a few actual bones to pick with how the missions work and behave..

Settings I play on.

QdXj0pU.png

TLDR, Hard. but revert and quicksaving due to skill issues/bugs (many)

I been playing ksp 2 new update for a while, and let me say, there is a huge hard wall/brick that comes with this update in gathering science, I play rather simply, each object I created in this save has a purpose to further progress my game.

It usually does a main mission, or a side mission, if not completing a few while doing both on the same craft...

So, lets get to it. 

i have done a few missions about 12 hours~ or so in this update ( I have about two hours I forgot to stream ) but it was just simply building and testing a craft.

IKeMFMf.png

yup amazing, playing about 10 hours, with zero views, its a fashion statement at this point with how little traction I have.

during this time progression was fine if not perfect pace for 50%, this was until I saw, and seen the big four

• Duna Monument
  • Wheelin and Dealin
  • LIL CHONKER
  • Keostationary Orbit

let me just quote my discord post(s)

really kinda seems that 50% rewards it almost requires you to land on duna to get any more rewards, the other rewards for scanning etc is just not really worth it..

following the "story" it almost requires you go off story even with doing premium+ missions..

sidequests are somewhat perma lock, one with sidequests being a little to grand for the tech tree you can really get..

with the four wheel and 200t missions you are pretty much stuck even with samples on kerbin, mun, and icecream planet :3, with the only real way out right now is doing geostation orbit to get more tech.. unless its higher tier tech to show those cool things that are hidden, flying 93,000m/s worth of DV, finding them are just rather hard and simply didn't find any, not even nothing at the north pool for example.

for the amount of rewards you get its not worth finding/searching for all of them if there isn't a clear path to find them.. so users at 50% are pretty much required to focus for tier two tech, and forced to not follow the story and puts me, in a standstill with my only hope to do the geo., with the broken (for me i have tried alot of times to make it work with gear i have) wheelin dealing, along side getting most biomes on the big first three planets. @CM Dakota It feels like there is two missions missing before landing on the duna, like finding duna putting a sat near it, and do the same with the moon of duna.. it just directly "oh go here"

for me its, put orbit of X, we find X, land on X. duna is like, oh, we found ANOTHER signal on duna, go there land there, not, we are finding strange reading from duna, put a sat in high orbit around duna, then a second mission of putting one on the moon of duna., THEN land on duna. its a huge undertaking for 50% and doesn't feel smooth

For me there is a huge (quite a few) gaps in how research is earned, and how main mission's skill slope is way to aggressive.

as of now, I'm quite stumped as behaving as a general player trying to follow the loose primary/story missions, there were 3 steps to complete missions of getting a lot of research to progress

For me, each main mission required a vehicle, so did land on X object, "weird signal" created a probe/sat, and then landing a craft near the objective, while this craft needed to also (optional) land at each biome and get science/etc.

Now, with the stop of nonsense rambling

There should at least 2 or 4 more missions before landing on duna for me this is too aggressive (no idea if it's like this for other missions I haven't progressed that far)

• Put a satellite into a high duna orbit
  • Put a satellite around dunas moon 
  • Do a prob X parts and land safely
  • create a Craft to go to the monument

Duna, in the way mission control is set up, is the FIRST post kerbin sphere of influence, it has a Moon, Atmosphere... Why in the name of Bob Kermin do we need to be thrown directly into the duna's monument when other things should be taught / more research to be given out.

As of right now with 1 secondary mission that is a little to silly Lil Chonker, 1 mission simply not working, Wheelin, And Dealing,  the only option to further progress is to do keostationary orbit, or do off "story" missions.. there is way to large of a gap in what is needed to be learned when going from minmus to duna.

Second talk

Doing a lot of sidequests of gathering ground science, flying science etc, there is simply just not enough Science points to be given out without finding the secret POI's as also stated in my discord post..

these missions might feel fine with normal research speeds and you have loads of of SP to get into deeper into the second tech tree without not completing the first tech tree, but for me, its hard.

There needs to be a way to have like camera satellites, to find POI's on certain planets something like the surface scanner, but in a  few tiers, with the weakest only finding the largest/most noticeable and the strongest just finding everything as a part both slowly in days(months) in game depending on range, geostation orbit/ polar orbit/ etc

I really didn't want to do this post cause I'm not feeling well and I'm going sound like a complete mad man when I have what I want to say in my head, but out loud its just me spouting nonsense/broken english.

yRn3usa.png

dQHft53.png

personally, I that even doing premium+ missions that i need to be very picky on what i need to further progress the game, if the game had what i said above being able to get the few extra 100's of SP needed for a competent build should need to happen let alone teaching players that after getting to X planet they might have moons, or a atmosphere etc...

i really hope the rest of the main story isn't like this, i don't know what I'm going to do honestly but the aggressiveness slope is to high from minmus to duna.

please understand I'm really trying to say something that my brain isn't able to process due to being sick, and well, not able to do it in the first place without like 9 English to english translators..

also if anyone is able to translate this right now into something that is more, like readable I will edit this post make it better, but there is at least some points I'm trying to give out.

I don't mean to sound harsh but you asked the game to make it hard and the game made it hard.

I've not gone as far as you (nor set the difficulty higher than the default because I want to see what the default is like before I try something else) but at a quick glance, if you had DOUBLE the science points you'd be a lot further than you are on the tech tree. You told the game to give you half the science you'd normally get so you have to expect to have issues finding enough science.

17 minutes ago, Superfluous J said:

I don't mean to sound harsh but you asked the game to make it hard and the game made it hard.

I've not gone as far as you (nor set the difficulty higher than the default because I want to see what the default is like before I try something else) but at a quick glance, if you had DOUBLE the science points you'd be a lot further than you are on the tech tree. You told the game to give you half the science you'd normally get so you have to expect to have issues finding enough science.

im already doing extra stuff, i have already flew across kerbin, went to the north pole of that

did every biome unless I forgot 1 or two, of minmus AND mun..

1 mission that just seems way to silly, 1 mission is literally broken, and 1 mission that is the seemingly only mission you can do.. hitting duna 50% scanning is only 40 research..

its still beyond jawraing there is some critical mission learning points that can be added that will not really be needed due to duna being the first non kerbin sphere of influence.

it went from, some steps here and there, to instantly, go to duna land there for RP..

then we have the issue of not finding the secret POI's without stumbling across it. surface scanners need to exist, if there is dozens, and I went AROUND kerbin and didn't find a single one which actively trying to locate them, there is an issue, and for most players they shouldn't need look up a guide to find poi's. Surface scanners with different behaviour based off of the orbit it is in, classes or, well tiers of surface scanners should also exist, it is a huge missing point that ksp 2 has right now, right next to functional ComNET, and not this "one satellite per body will do everything regardless of position etc"

they make one thing to simplified when the community just today(tonight) said just like weather it should really be implemented in the game, and they want feedback on others things.. i gave them feed back

Minmus to duna main mission is missing 2-4 for most anyone it is and should be critical for people to learn how to put satalites for things like surface scanners, or ComNET, to find POI's or further progress the story line.

surface scanners/cameras with different behavior based off of its tier, purpose, and how It is orbiting the planet should be implemented showing perhaps with each tier giving something important with like early tiers, only doing a visual camera, only able find small things, to things that show possible (not fully accurate) resources locations, or geography based off of something like LIDAR (i cannot think really honestly right now).. perhaps there would be one that can do little bit of everything but not as good a one that was purposeful etc.

this isn't a matter of "i wanted it hard" this is a matter, of they are making it difficult on one thing, like POI's and the other just a gap of learning/missions.

anyway, i hope i can get rid of this sickness

4 minutes ago, Stephensan said:

we have the issue of not finding the secret POI's without stumbling across it. surface scanners need to exist, if there is dozens, and I went AROUND kerbin and didn't find a single one which actively trying to locate them, there is an issue, and for most players they shouldn't need look up a guide to find poi's.

I agree with you 100% on this one. I've seen a single "discoverable" and that was before 0.2 came out, and it was a mun arch that I always landed near in KSP1 so went looking for it in KSP2. Sure enough, it was there.

you did research the entire teir one tree with every optionall tech which isnt really necesary. you should have invested it in more essential parts in the second tree. if you spent it better you could easily have gotten autonomous sampling which really speeds up science gains. and you also dont have to do missions. you can just send out science missions yourself.

and also

9 hours ago, Stephensan said:

yup amazing, playing about 10 hours, with zero views, its a fashion statement at this point with how little traction I have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feJoP4WVJp8&t=3697s (im guessing this is you)

idk if you should complain about zero views when you uploaded 2(or 10 according to you) hours of gameplay with no commentary, sorry.

2 hours ago, jastrone said:

you did research the entire teir one tree with every optionall tech which isnt really necesary. you should have invested it in more essential parts in the second tree. if you spent it better you could easily have gotten autonomous sampling which really speeds up science gains. and you also dont have to do missions. you can just send out science missions yourself.

and also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feJoP4WVJp8&t=3697s (im guessing this is you)

idk if you should complain about zero views when you uploaded 2(or 10 according to you) hours of gameplay with no commentary, sorry.

everything else is hidden sorry cause i actually talked in all of those, a lot.. a lot a lot, if I wasn't commentary about what I was doing and why, Im insane.. 

f5bTU38.png

its "prob not talk unless someone asks"...  speaking out aloud on every other one ,a lot, with the only person was my mom.. yes my mom watched, the last one, and me checking if the stream was working. i felt its just not worth keeping them up cause i sound insane..

hope that helps :3

I agree with Superfluous J. The act of recording and uploading a video should give you joy @Stephensan. Think of it like practicing public speaking, presentation skills, and video editing at the same time, with the uploaded videos just being a side result. I just finished practicing a new language, and while it's difficult and no one is here to acknowledge my practice, the satisfaction of doing it and improving is enough for me.

Whether your videos get views or not is not a reflection on you, given the capricious nature of YouTube's algorithm. You could make the most perfectly produced KSP2 video in the world, but it could not get views through no fault of yours. So, just try and enjoy the process. :)

Edited by TROPtastic

17 hours ago, TROPtastic said:

I agree with Superfluous J. The act of recording and uploading a video should give you joy @Stephensan. Think of it like practicing public speaking, presentation skills, and video editing at the same time, with the uploaded videos just being a side result. I just finished practicing a new language, and while it's difficult and no one is here to acknowledge my practice, the satisfaction of doing it and improving is enough for me.

Whether your videos get views or not is not a reflection on you, given the capricious nature of YouTube's algorithm. You could make the most perfectly produced KSP2 video in the world, but it could not get views through no fault of yours. So, just try and enjoy the process. :)

my skills of talking to zero people for hours on end is something someone shouldn't listen to.

my editing skills is still far novice, I'm a quite a shut in. no one needs to listen to the ramblings of a crazed person.

5 hours ago, Stephensan said:

my skills of talking to zero people for hours on end is something someone shouldn't listen to.

my editing skills is still far novice, I'm a quite a shut in. no one needs to listen to the ramblings of a crazed person.

Well, going back to what Superfluous J said, if uploading videos is not enjoyable and you don't think people should watch them then there's no reason to keep doing it. You can always keep recording and editing videos, even if you decide to keep them on your computer or in cloud storage without uploading them.

As a very limited tangent (before this discussion goes completely off-topic from the thread title), there are online groups that do real-world meetups. Try seeing if there are any Meetup groups or Discord servers that organize things like dinners or boardgame nights if you want to be more social.

Edited by TROPtastic

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.