Kethane Pack 0.9.2 - New cinematic trailer! - 1.0 compatibility update

Majiir

What would be a nice addition to the Kethane mod is automatic drill deployment and retraction with an option to enable/disable the automatic function.

If the ship is landed and there's a Kethane tank onboard that's not full, pop the drills out. When the tank is full, retract the drills. Got a Kethane converter onboard? Deploy the drills when any of its functions are activated. This could also automatically retract the drills when a ship with them deployed lifts off.

Recreational vehicles with electric powered steps have a system to retract them when the engine is started so they don't hang out to get ripped off when the driver forgets to retract the step, no reason the Kethane mod can't do a similar thing. :D

Another part of this could be automatically retracting the drills when there's no Kethane flowing into the tanks. Reasons could be there's no Kethane there, the cell is depleted or the ship construction isn't correct to allow the Kethane to flow to the storage tanks.

Get unfocused mining to work, combined with automatic drill action and one could drop a lander, turn on the fuel conversion then go off and do other things. Come back later and find the lander has tanked up, refueled itself and shut down Kethane extraction, ready to lift off.

Would still have to turn off the Kethane converter before liftoff, unless that could be optioned to shut down on liftoff.

I've tried running the converter in flight but have had odd results like MechJeb cutting throttle and tanks filling unevenly so my SOP on running Kethane converters in flight is... don't do it.

Is it really so hard to set your drill to an action group, and press a button to do things? Honestly, may as well just hyperedit your kethane tanks full when ya land.... This level of automation would take away nearly all the fun that Kethane provides....fuel is just the end result..not really the point of the mod imo...if you just want fuel there are plenty of hackish free fuel mods out there that dont make you work for it.

Also TAC fuel balancer...can convert Kethane while flying a jet in atmo...if there was ever a reason to do that, but you get the idea =)

Hey is there a reason the kethane grid won't show up in my game? I've got all the parts and the grid shows up in the menu.. could it be to do with the R&D tree?

SRsY8Lm.png

(sorry for the image size)

Check Alt-F2 menu for NullReferenceExceptions

If they are present, upload the output_log.txt

I am having the same issue, guessing it is RT2,, I'm checking for the nullrefrence now and will upload output log soon.

EDIT: It is a RT2 issue. Make sure you update rt2 to the version released yesterday the 15th solved my issue

Edited by 7499275

Hmm well im sure its been asked somewhere before, but anyway here goes:

Multiple Resource nodes can be defined, and the detector will scan for them simultaneously

I got the above from the Wiki. Im trying to make a part scan for both kethane and ore.

So first question is, should the cfg code (inside the relevant Module section) be like this? :

Resource
{
Name = Kethane
Name = Ore
Name = WhateverElseFromAvailable
}

Im guessing, if the above is true, then you got no way of differentiating the detect period-maxAltitute and/or Power Consumption separately for each resource, right?

I dont mind that at all, (at least for electricity purposes you can just add the requirement SUM of the resources to the Module) but the second question would be, if it is possible to separate them somehow anyway.

I also tried as a test, to include 2 separate whole modules inside the cfg, but that results in weird KSP behavior.

Edited by Thourion

Hmm well im sure its been asked somewhere before, but anyway here goes:

Multiple Resource nodes can be defined, and the detector will scan for them simultaneously

I got the above from the Wiki. Im trying to make a part scan for both kethane and ore.

So first question is, should the cfg code (inside the relevant Module section) be like this? :

Resource
{
Name = Kethane
Name = Ore
Name = WhateverElseFromAvailable
}

Im guessing, if the above is true, then you got no way of differentiating the detect period-maxAltitute and/or Power Consumption separately for each resource, right?

I dont mind that at all, (at least for electricity purposes you can just add the requirement SUM of the resources to the Module) but the second question would be, if it is possible to separate them somehow anyway.

I also tried as a test, to include 2 separate whole modules inside the cfg, but that results in weird KSP behavior.

You need to make each resource its own argument, bunching them together like that will cause alot of issues.

The scanner will only use one set of scan parameters however.

so should like like this

RESOURCE

{

Kethane

}

RESOURCE

{

Ore

}

and so on.

Aye, correct syntax has always been my problem when it comes to any code efforts, i know what im supposed to do, i know about the concept behind what im looking, but proper code placement/call methods etc is always beyond me heh.

Thanks allot for the info.

I've finished an implementation of the raycasting algorithm. It's rigged up in the Unity editor for faster prototyping and performance testing, the results of which are shown in the console. Many pieces haven't been performance-optimized yet, so those numbers are likely to go down. In any case, they're already a substantial improvement over the current method. Raycasts can run over a thousand times per second, so this can definitely be used for applications which cast multiple rays onto terrain.

This test scene doesn't reference Kethane or KSP code at all, and it's not particularly well organized, so integrating this into Kethane will take some time. I'll be cleaning things up inside Unity before attempting that.

i47HGdjxFau6H.png

The new grid and raycasting code is now integrated with the Kethane plugin, and it's working in-game. There are still a few things left, including an upgrade function and a lot of testing. Expect a patch in the next few days.

Hey Majir, you should add some support for KMP, so the maps are saved and the same for all players!

KMP needs to add a synchronization API before that can happen. That said, it should be possible for KMP to perform coarse synchronization (i.e. same deposit locations, but mining doesn't deplete for everyone) without any changes from Kethane's side.

Ok I will,thanks I actually saw a lot of NullReferenceExceptions previously but didn't think anything of it.

I'm guessing i upload my output log to github?

Kethane 0.8.1 has been released. The download link on the first post has been updated.

This update fixes a few performance and stability issues and adds parts to career mode. This update is only compatible with versions 0.6 through 0.8.

The change log looks sparse, but this is among the largest updates in terms of code changed, and it's possibly the single most time-consuming update I've ever made. It includes a completely rebuilt geodesic grid system which has been months in the making and which facilitated the new raycasting system. A lot of doors are opened by this update, so be looking forward to more.

Finally, by popular request, I've added a donations button to the first post in this thread. There's a short note there explaining how donations are used. It's a pleasure making Kethane and seeing everyone enjoy the mod, so please continue posting about your adventures and exploits.

Changes in this version:

• Added Kethane parts to the stock tech tree.
  • Reduced delays when entering map view or switching between planets.
  • Fixed an issue where the KE-X270 deploy/retract animation would always play.
  • Fixed exceptions in the main menu scene.
  • Exposed public APIs for IResourceGenerator, KethaneData and Cell (which has replaced GeodesicGrid).
  • Replaced the geodesic grid code with a new system based on a recursive tree structure.
  • Removed the textures for the obsolete KE-X130 and KE-TM30 parts.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.