Kethane Pack 0.9.2 - New cinematic trailer! - 1.0 compatibility update

Majiir

I'm having the exact same issue with the latest KSP (from Steam) and the v0.4.3 Kethane pack. I don't even see the launch pad or the planet just some stars. It is possible to return to the Space Center though, so the game itself does not die.

Are you fellas by chance putting ISA dish on the same ship? Im using the fix that's been floating around and Kethane stuff works fine (for the most part ya know) but my game freezes if I try to launch a ship with ISA dish and kethane scanners.

also to ANYONE having any kinda issues with any mod.... make 100% sure theres no tidbits of old mods leftover in your legacy folders, also make sure your using most recent version of any other mods (many mods that were updated fast for 0.20 have had hotfix updates since...the most crucial i know of is KAS, firespitter, and bobcats Soviet pack)

@SimpleMajority, Majiir, the current dev of kethane, did a podcast showing off some work being done just before 0.20 droped, the silence here is unsettling i agree, but word has it the mod is being worked on

Got tired waiting for fix, made my own. Problem with sound not working, is the current dll looks in the wrong place, if you organise the files according to the new 0.20 guidelines, so recompiled mine from the github source. This may also have fixed the "looking a sky, can't do anything"-launch problem, when it compiled with the updated references to current KSP-assemblies. Now haven't fully tested it yet, but it detects kethane fine, and looks like all the parts work fine, have yet to actually land and try mining and converting some actual kethane. But that will be for another day, much to do, not enough time.

Are you fellas by chance putting ISA dish on the same ship? Im using the fix that's been floating around and Kethane stuff works fine (for the most part ya know) but my game freezes if I try to launch a ship with ISA dish and kethane scanners.

also to ANYONE having any kinda issues with any mod.... make 100% sure theres no tidbits of old mods leftover in your legacy folders, also make sure your using most recent version of any other mods (many mods that were updated fast for 0.20 have had hotfix updates since...the most crucial i know of is KAS, firespitter, and bobcats Soviet pack)

@SimpleMajority, Majiir, the current dev of kethane, did a podcast showing off some work being done just before 0.20 droped, the silence here is unsettling i agree, but word has it the mod is being worked on

I do combine both into one probe, but I will try splitting the two apart

I tried that but I couldn't get the scanners to work... (as in turning them on, can't even display the maps either)

I will give this a shot after I wake up later today.

I like the idea of this mod, it makes landing feel more important so I hope it continues forward, and maybe they can sync their github lol.

Update on Kethane development:

I've been preoccupied during this update cycle and haven't prepared an update for Kethane. I plan to find time this weekend to push out an update. In the meantime, for the purpose of providing 0.20 compatibility, I encourage people to post solutions and/or distribute modified packages. You may consider the license restrictions to be void until I next release an update. Please be careful when using a third-party distribution; most of the Kerbal community have good intentions, but there might always be bad apples. If there are specific issues I can help with, please use the Github issue tracker to communicate about them.

Is there an easy way to convert the scanner map coordinates into something I can actually use to pick a landing site? I've mapped out the deposits on minmus but I have no idea how to actually land at them.

Alright, my own homebrewed fix here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12653511/Kethane.rar

Minimal testing done, but detector confirmed working on 2 different installs, landed, mined and converted Kethane on the Mun on 1 install. Make sure you have removed any Kethane related stuff before installing this(clean install recommended, unless you know what you are doing).

Install Instructions:

1. Download

2. Extract to [location of KSP]/GameData/ so you have .../GameData/Kethane/...

3. Enjoy

Changes made:

Fixed part config files to new format.

Changed folder structure to follow new guidelines(keeping stuff in it's own mod directory in GameData folder)

Update .DLL with new filepaths to detector sounds.

Recompiled with new assemblies from KSP 0.20.2.

But like I said, minimal testing, no guarantees with download, but seems to be working for me.

Edited by Znake

Alright, my own homebrewed fix here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12653511/Kethane.rar

Minimal testing done, but detector confirmed working on 2 different installs, landed, mined and converted Kethane on the Mun on 1 install. Make sure you have removed any Kethane related stuff before installing this(clean install recommended, unless you know what you are doing).

Install Instructions:

1. Download

3. Enjoy

Changes made:

Changed folder structure to follow new guidelines(keeping stuff in it's own mod directory in GameData folder)

But like I said, minimal texting, no guarantees with download, but seems to be working for me.

Thank you so much! I hope he makes this the official version.

Is there an easy way to convert the scanner map coordinates into something I can actually use to pick a landing site? I've mapped out the deposits on minmus but I have no idea how to actually land at them.

http://boulter.com/gps/ You can try this, but guarantee that it will work. It was just one of the first things that came up on Google.

the map coordinates on the kethane map are lat/long, if ya don't know how to do targeted landing id suggest using mechjeb to do a couple on autopilot, watch what MJ does

Thank you so much! I hope he makes this the official version.

http://boulter.com/gps/ You can try this, but guarantee that it will work. It was just one of the first things that came up on Google.

Glad if it helps you, but doubt this will be an official version or anything. I haven't done any real testing and it literally took me 2 hours to make, going from ZERO KSP plugin experience(but with Visual Studio and C# experience), and that's including the bit of testing I did. So that tells me the developer probably have bigger plans with the next release, other than a simple compatibility patch.

Edited by Znake
Spelling

Install Instructions:

1. Download

3. Enjoy

Changes made:

But like I said, minimal texting, no guarantees with download, but seems to be working for me.

I'm getting some random crashes using this version. I think it's a directory rename issue (lowercase/upper cases?). Most of the parts load, but launching with either detector causes a crash. I've had some success with moving the plugin data directory back to the old location but i'm trying some other things too.

(In reply to below. I've done the basic tests to isolate the problem to this and only this mod. This release is causing issues for me and I am working on a solution. I post here so that any others with similar issues may benefit.)

Edited by Sandworm

Ive been using the fix posted on page 34 (post#335) since it was put up. Besides the sound not working and the small issue with the converters it works perfect!

If your using that fix, and its installed as instructed then Kethane is not your issue.......sometimes having an issue with a mod does not mean the problem is actually coming from that mod.

Well, if you move the sound folder, you are definitely going to loose that, as the relative location to the KSP rootfolder of the sounds, is hardcoded into the dll. So moving anything or even just renaming the Kethane folder will be a problem. In regards to the directory name issue, that might be true, I use the Steam version of KSP, and my filepath look like this .\GameData\Kethane\Plugins etc. I haven't tested if changing the case in the path makes a difference. But I have checked the log, and I can load the game, and launch ships with detectors without a single error appearing.

Well I just made and updated version, without any changes really, none that I think will make a difference, but perhaps, same link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12653511/Kethane.rar

Changes:

Changed all line ends to LF, instead of CR LF according to the github instructions.

Cleaner version, I think I included my deposits.dat and maps in the previous archive.

Same install instructions:

1. Download

2. Extract to [KSP root folder]\GameData\

3. Play.

PS. Installation on a new, clean and fresh KSP install is highly recommened, especially if you have another version of the Kethane mod installed.

Do not rename the folders, especially if you want sound, the path is hardcoded relative to the KSP root folder...

If you experience malfunctions/crashes with this, please supply a KSP.log(found in your KSP directory) for debugging purposes. But honestly, I'm probably not going to put too much effort in to fixing bugs, this is not an official version, and all credit goes to Majiir.

Edited by Znake
Extra info

Guys I've got a question I've had for a while but have forgotten to ask. Is there any way I can mine Kethane other than when I'm in control of the rig I have set up? I can't go to the space center while the drills are deployed and switching to another ship via the map turns them off... am I just not able to let them go while they're active? I could have sworn that's what Scott Manley was doing with his in his reusable space program series...

Guys I've got a question I've had for a while but have forgotten to ask. Is there any way I can mine Kethane other than when I'm in control of the rig I have set up? I can't go to the space center while the drills are deployed and switching to another ship via the map turns them off... am I just not able to let them go while they're active? I could have sworn that's what Scott Manley was doing with his in his reusable space program series...

No, this is the same for mapping, if you are not in control of the probe or minner it will not continue to function unless you are switching to a ship or rover or something within 2.5km of the ship or probe that's doing something. Once you cross that 2.5km range the game unloads the model and it's placed on rails. Any active plugin will go back to a standby state.

No, this is the same for mapping, if you are not in control of the probe or minner it will not continue to function unless you are switching to a ship or rover or something within 2.5km of the ship or probe that's doing something. Once you cross that 2.5km range the game unloads the model and it's placed on rails. Any active plugin will go back to a standby state.

Yes, that's what I thought. The thing about Scott Manley's series, is he is creating a narrative, by story telling and editing of footage, and does not necessarily portray things accurately, at least in that series. However I do remember him using some plugin, which enabled him to increased the range of physics calculations, by up to a 100 km I think, which would enable you to switch to vessels much farther away, before they get put on rails.

Ive been using the fix posted on page 34 (post#335) since it was put up. Besides the sound not working and the small issue with the converters it works perfect!

If your using that fix, and its installed as instructed then Kethane is not your issue.......sometimes having an issue with a mod does not mean the problem is actually coming from that mod.

I also used the fix from this page, and then i used the plugin from the other to make the sound work

OK, I found the issue. There is an error in the latest release and it is to do with capital letters. See this from my log file. Note that KSP is looking for the image in the "MMI_Kethane" directory. But the directory as extracted is "mmi_kethane". This would not affect windows users (windows doesn't care about capitalization, equating both) but would cause errors for linux/unix/mac users.

[EXC 18:00:29.044] IsolatedStorageException: Could not find file "[...]/KSP202/KSP_linux/GameData/Kethane/Plugins/PluginData/MMI_Kethane/YouAreHereMarker.png".

Kethane generates maps/deposits when it first runs. When this happens new files are created and a new directory (MMI_Kethane) is created. So the data and original files aren't in the same directory... all manner of issues. So this cannot be fixed once KSP has run with the Kethane mod.

The Fix

(1) Remove/delete the kethane directory within gamedata.

(2) Extract and install as outlined.

(3) BEFORE starting KSP, rename "/KSP_linux/GameData/Kethane/Plugins/PluginData/mmi_kethane/" to /KSP_linux/GameData/Kethane/Plugins/PluginData/MMI_Kethane/.

(4) Start.

I've only tested this at the launch pad atm, but KSP is no longer crashing every time I try to launch with a kethane detector.

Edited by Sandworm

OK, I found the issue. There is an error in the latest release and it is to do with capital letters. See this from my log file. Note that it is looking for the image in the "MMI_Kethane" directory. But the directory as extracted is "mmi_kethane". This would not affect windows users (windows doesn't care about capitalization, equating both) but would cause errors for linux/unix/mac users.

[EXC 18:00:29.044] IsolatedStorageException: Could not find file "[...]/KSP202/KSP_linux/GameData/Kethane/Plugins/PluginData/MMI_Kethane/YouAreHereMarker.png".

Ah Linux, yeah I have only tested Windows. Although why it extracts that folder with lower case I do not know, it appears with the upper cases in WinRAR when browsing the archive, but magically becomes lower case when extracting. I'll have to go back and recompile the DLL again then, with lower case, as that is the change I've made, since the sound is on the path as well.

New version, same link https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12653511/Kethane.rar

Changes:

Changed folder name MMI_Kethane to mmi_kethane to resolve issues with none Windows systems.

PS - Actually WinRAR's fault, it has issues with underscores in path/filenames apparently...

Edited by Znake
Update

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.