Kethane Pack 0.9.2 - New cinematic trailer! - 1.0 compatibility update

Majiir

Ah, but we do ship crude oil all over the place (don't know about flying it, though).

Ship, yes. Fly, no.

But note that refineries are generally geographically close to the oil fields (within the usual economic,environmental constraints). And are also pretty large structures, so placement next to, say, an off-shore oil rig is highly impractical ;)

Hence why we have all kinds of refineries around coastal Texas (as an example) to handle load from the gulf, etc.

Tho the analogue above is a lot closer to drilling for oil in, say, Kuwait, and flying it via 747 to a refinery in New Jersey, and wondering why, by the time you are done and refueling in Newark, that your net jet fuel is pretty much zero :P

(Kethane by the way would have a closer analogue to natural gas lines vs. crude oil).

I don't know how i did it, but i did. :huh:

After grabbing the source for Kethane (both!) and re-complied it, it was working fine.

By fine, i mean, the grid is working (both on vessel and in the tracking station + its updating). :cool:

Haven't tested the parts yet :P, but the main problem from this mod at late is the map grid not working.

So here are the .dll files:

Just Replace the .dlls that came with the mod.

I've only checked the mapping functions so far. No guarantee that other parts may work. But I couldn't let a good mod die.

Tested the scanner, drills and converters. Maps update in real time, and parts are working as they should! Thank you very much for the effort, K7! It's really much appreciated. :)

Edited by Kowgan
Links removed from quote

I don't know how i did it, but i did. :huh:

After grabbing the source for Kethane (both!) and re-complied it, it was working fine.

By fine, i mean, the grid is working (both on vessel and in the tracking station + its updating). :cool:

Haven't tested the parts yet :P, but the main problem from this mod at late is the map grid not working.

So here are the .dll files:

GeodesicGrid

Kethane

Just Replace the .dlls that came with the mod.

I've only checked the mapping functions so far. No guarantee that other parts may work. But I couldn't let a good mod die.

I can't download the dll files from copy.com, taking ages to load the page, can anyone else upload them somewhere else please? thanks

• 3 weeks later...

If 1.0 is the end for Kethane, then I definitely will be starting a new save, after nursing the same save along from .21 through .90, with Kethane extracting and refining equipment on Mun, Minmus, Ike, Eve and orbiting Gilly.

I've tons of fuel orbiting Kerbin, Mun and Minmus and tapped none of it around the moons to go anywhere. :P My Duna and Eve missions left directly from Kerbin. ISTR emptying one Kerbin orbiting fuel depot then deorbiting it due to it being useless, too much bother to refill.

I might wind up taking over the maintenance de-facto (at least until Majiir is no longer AWOL with his job). I can't make any promises as to timing as I have a whole pile of work to do for 1.0 (EL, KerbalStats, FreeEVA, MFT).

I'm learning how ore works on 1.0 and see if I can put kethane the same way ore spawn. Right now I'm planning only for personal use. I'm not really familiar with copyright and stuff, am I allowed to do this? and maybe shared with other?

so how do we modify the .cfg on our converters so the computer understands it? my outputs are zero across the board on both converters in game. i cross checked on the ISRU and the language is totally different, and my limited understanding of cut and paste didnt make things work. instead i got less than zero, with no readout whatsoever in the description box. so i obviously missed an important part of the ISRU .cfg. so if someone can work around that, i see no reason kethane cant be functionally normal in this 1.0 environment. unless im just stupid and it works already, in which case, whatd i do wrong?

so how do we modify the .cfg on our converters so the computer understands it? my outputs are zero across the board on both converters in game. i cross checked on the ISRU and the language is totally different, and my limited understanding of cut and paste didnt make things work. instead i got less than zero, with no readout whatsoever in the description box. so i obviously missed an important part of the ISRU .cfg. so if someone can work around that, i see no reason kethane cant be functionally normal in this 1.0 environment. unless im just stupid and it works already, in which case, whatd i do wrong?

Unfortunately Kethane uses it's own plug in, however I may look into how ISRU system and how the animators are set up In Kethane. If it were ok with the author, I'd like to take over development and integrate Kethane into stock.

As of now, I'm currently looking into making heavy ablative shields for large ship aerobraking. I'm going to make it compatible with stock and RoverDude's FFT.

Also updating my Kerbin Side assets.

It would be nice to see Kethane integrated into stock. The issue is that now with resource drilling there is already a stock alternative.

I read on another thread that Kethane will no longer be maintained. Too bad if its true, I enjoyed using it.

Maybe you should take a few seconds and read back just a little. Like literally one page.

For the record, I don't have any strict preferences as between Karbonite and Kethane, beyond nostalgia (I experienced Kethane earlier in my KSP-playing career [kareer?]) and, yes, I like the idea of orbital refineries, which is more viable with Kethane than Karbonite, as mentioned recently in this thread.

However, what I do keenly prefer as to kethane is the scanning mechanic. I play with a lot of hardcore timesink (anti-instant-gratification?) mods, such as Kerbal Construction Time, SCANSat, RemoteTech (when it finally gets updated for 1.0) and others. Slapping a scanner into "some sort of" valid orbit and instantly knowing all the pertinent info I need to develop a profitable landing profile is not my preferred challenge to myself. Understand, I wholly grok why the stock ISRU scanning mechanic is the way it is; to be accessible to people lower on the learning curve than I might be. If there were a difficulty slider with that, or even Karbonite, wherein I could use some sort of graphical overlay, such as the Kethane hexgrid system, or a SCANSat image inset, to actually worry about supplying my orbiting scanner with the dV needed to get full coverage -- or hell, planning a decent enough insertion to reduce the need for dV-costly plane and altitude changes at all -- then I'd be less disagreeable about it.

Factor in the abovementioned mods I prefer to use, most notably KCT, I then have to worry about launch windows and rollout queues and plan my missions accordingly.

My $0.02.

Both mods are great, though.

Unfortunately Kethane uses it's own plug in, however I may look into how ISRU system and how the animators are set up In Kethane. If it were ok with the author, I'd like to take over development and integrate Kethane into stock.

As of now, I'm currently looking into making heavy ablative shields for large ship aerobraking. I'm going to make it compatible with stock and RoverDude's FFT.

Also updating my Kerbin Side assets.

It would be nice to see Kethane integrated into stock. The issue is that now with resource drilling there is already a stock alternative.

a stock option, that isnt as effectivelol, but yes you are right, i do hope that Eskandare or taniwha take this over.

For the record, I don't have any strict preferences as between Karbonite and Kethane, beyond nostalgia (I experienced Kethane earlier in my KSP-playing career [kareer?]) and, yes, I like the idea of orbital refineries, which is more viable with Kethane than Karbonite, as mentioned recently in this thread.

However, what I do keenly prefer as to kethane is the scanning mechanic. I play with a lot of hardcore timesink (anti-instant-gratification?) mods, such as Kerbal Construction Time, SCANSat, RemoteTech (when it finally gets updated for 1.0) and others. Slapping a scanner into "some sort of" valid orbit and instantly knowing all the pertinent info I need to develop a profitable landing profile is not my preferred challenge to myself. Understand, I wholly grok why the stock ISRU scanning mechanic is the way it is; to be accessible to people lower on the learning curve than I might be. If there were a difficulty slider with that, or even Karbonite, wherein I could use some sort of graphical overlay, such as the Kethane hexgrid system, or a SCANSat image inset, to actually worry about supplying my orbiting scanner with the dV needed to get full coverage -- or hell, planning a decent enough insertion to reduce the need for dV-costly plane and altitude changes at all -- then I'd be less disagreeable about it.

Factor in the abovementioned mods I prefer to use, most notably KCT, I then have to worry about launch windows and rollout queues and plan my missions accordingly.

My $0.02.

Both mods are great, though.

Holy run on sentences batman! Seriously, not to totally pick on you, but I always wonder if people go back and re-read what they wrote to see if it actually was readable.

So not to nitpick, but I had to throw a few things out.

First off I would actually agree with some things Kethane. It was my first resource mod and i remember it fondly. I did like the hex grid layout and scanning. What I didn't like was the fact that I had to be focused on the ship. What I preferred to do with Karbonite (which should come back once scansat is updated) is get my satellites scanning around several bodies in the background while flying something else.

Also, regarding stock, everyone keeps harping on the instant orbital scan, which is only one part of the process, and only gives you a basic "is it there" result. In order to really know an appropriate location you really need to actually like, LAND and take a sample. Actually this becomes more time and work than Kethane. Honestly I have found it to be a fun and different challenge. With Kethane I just need to send out a scanning satellite. Pretty much the same satellite works for every body in the game. But when I have to ground truth, I then have to develop a landing system that doesn't just work everywhere, depending on gravity/atmo/# biomes etc.

The bottom line is that everyone can use what they find suits them best (yay mods). I just wanted to clarify what seems to be the perpetuation of somewhat misleading and incomplete information.

Hi everyone ... have mainly been a lurker around these parts for a while ... but this morning I compiled Kethane against KSP 1.0.2 and ran some quick tests ... everything seems to be working as expected.

I have uploaded the Kethane.dll and GeodesicGrid.dll up to my DropBox if you guys want to try it out. Basically install the Kethane v0.92 mod and then copy these DLLs over the ones that exist in the "GameData\Kethane\Plugins\" folder.

GitHub: qdelpeche/GeodesicGrid

GitHub: qdelpeche/Kethane

I am running some more tests and will continue to check things out ... if you find something that needs to be addressed, please let me know and I will see if I can fix it. I have forked the original code from Majiir and I am by no ways challenging the copyright of Majiir and/or Keptin. All this is still their copyright, I merely compiled against the latest version of KSP.

If they would like me to take over the maintenance of this plugin, then please can they PM me or let me know if it is okay and I will create an official release (of sorts).

I hope this helps out the community. Thanks.

Edited by novogeek

Did you guys honestly not read each other's posts? First off, yours was actually quite legible MisterFister. I'm not sure about the run-on sentences comment, it was a thoughtful and specific response. Secondly, goldenpsp clearly said what he thinks was missing information: he believes the stock system isn't a magic button one-and-done approach as you described. He said while it is true it lets you know whether or not the resource is there, you still have to consider the landing vehicle depending on the location you are trying to land to take a surface sample.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.