Anyone Else Having Problems Docking Post FS! Update?

James M

Just tried to dock a lander and mothership in orbit of Minmus, Apollo-style, and holy cow. While using SAS, RCS, target mode.. literally all the things, it felt like unless I continuously thrusted I couldn’t get my vehicles close to one another. And even when I did, they then seemed to almost want to repel each other. It wasn’t until I turned off all assists and eyeballed the entire docking procedure that I managed to get the ports close enough and slow enough to dock. I can’t imagine a new player being able to do this.

24 minutes ago, James M said:

Just tried to dock a lander and mothership in orbit of Minmus, Apollo-style, and holy cow. While using SAS, RCS, target mode.. literally all the things, it felt like unless I continuously thrusted I couldn’t get my vehicles close to one another. And even when I did, they then seemed to almost want to repel each other. It wasn’t until I turned off all assists and eyeballed the entire docking procedure that I managed to get the ports close enough and slow enough to dock. I can’t imagine a new player being able to do this.

Haven't tried on-orbit docking yet in For Science! but I'm gonna be on later and most of my missions involve rendezvous and docking.

No problems with docking, just issues with rendezvous. I find it's really difficult to judge without some of the basic tools you have in KSP 1- mainly, the intercept data. I was able to do it, but it was an exercise in trail and error, and not at all efficient. Lack of a maneuver gizmo to make small changes didn't help, either. 

2 hours ago, Infinite Aerospace said:

If it makes you feel better to know though, SAS is pretty hopeless when it comes to retrograde, et cetera relative to a target. I've never had them repel one another but I do have that almost all of the time, it's workable mind.

Oh well there may have been my problem :/ 

On 12/22/2023 at 5:01 PM, James M said:

Oh well there may have been my problem :/ 

The SAS thing has been present since the earliest versions, it just doesn't seem all that good for rendezvous and docking. That said once within visual range, eyeballing it shouldn't be too difficult, just pack a couple hundred metres per second of ∆ V to account for the extra adjustments. 

On 12/22/2023 at 6:48 AM, Tallenn said:

I find it's really difficult to judge without some of the basic tools you have in KSP 1- mainly, the intercept data.

I've managed to get relatively vcomfortable with it. The data is still there if you right click "A1", "A2", "B1", or"B2" (or at least, the data I personally find useful is):

esTcr97.png

But the latter part of rendezvous and docking will continue to be generally unpleasant until this bug is fixed:

Edited by HebaruSan

8 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

I've managed to get relatively vcomfortable with it. The data is still there if you right click "A1", "A2", "B1", or"B2" (or at least, the data I personally find useful is):

esTcr97.png

But the latter part of rendezvous and docking will continue to be generally unpleasant until this bug is fixed:

That bug and the one I posted above are probably one in the same.

Edited by MechBFP

For me the rendezvous was not the issue it was the docking itself in KSP2 v0.2.0.  (Docking port connected to seperator or decoupler in VAB.)  Once I reconfigured the craft in the VAB to be docking port - docking port(flipped) - decoupler  then it started working as expected.  I will say that the mod "docking alignment display"  (I think that is the name)  is very helpful.  Mod is still being worked on...  I find that if I install the docking port rotated 90 degrees (handle on crafts left side) the mod works best.  With out the mod.  Chasing the target with the nav ball would make it tougher, especially if you are pointed at the target when off center from it.  Without the mod. I've had good luck with going pro or retro grade of orbit and then making lateral movements with RCS to align ports.   Never pointing at target until aligned on the same orbit as the target.   

If your interested in seeing the mod is use.  (video I did for another user that wanted to see the apollo craft I made, go through its whole mission)  Goto the 10 min mark for the CM flip and dock.  Goto the 40 minute mark for the post mun landing - ascent module and CM dock.   

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.