Flags in saves cause Kerbals, wheels and landing gear to fall into the ground and not function properly on many bodies (terrain bug)

Anth

Bug Report

Reported Version: v0.1.3.2 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 10 | CPU: Intel i9 9900K | GPU: Nvidia 3070ti | RAM32GB

Overview:

A persistent issue where Kerbals, wheels and landing legs fail to interact properly with the ground in saves with a large number of flags planted, resulting in Kerbals freefalling in place indefinitely and wheels/landing legs clipping into the ground and not functioning, this issue seems to be independent of the location of planted flags in the save and also seems to be time dependant too (see below).

Kerbal Floating Immobile Until using RCS Where She Looks like She's Skiing:

Spoiler

Screenshot:

Spoiler

KerbalFloatingImmobile.png.a3cdf1d06654b25f3da207c36618aaf8.png

Video Evidence:
KerbalFloatingImmobile.mp4

Save File:
KerbalFloatingTestSave.json

Issue Gone with the Removal of the Flags:

Spoiler

Video Evidence:
AfterFlagsRemovedFromSaveFile.mp4

Save File:
KerbalFloatingTestSaveFlagsRemoved.json

Note:
I edited the original save file and removed all the flags.

UT Time Is A Major Factor:

Spoiler

This occurs at different times. Its almost like terrain colliders are moving according to what UT time it is.
To Test Repeatedly do the following:

1. Timewarp forward a bit (Hour/Day).
  2. Attempt Walk Kerbal Around. Note Landing Legs if they are submerged. The Kerbal floating usually happens at the same time.

There should be an inconsistency in the Kerbal floating or not during this testing.

Tylo:

Spoiler

Screenshot:

Spoiler

TyloFlagIssue.png.54100af7cee7ea41a6fae08c9b105ead.png

Landing legs clipping through the ground on Tylo.

Laythe:

Spoiler

Screenshot:

Spoiler

OneFrontWheelFellIntoGround.png.bcdf9851

Video Evidence:
FrontWheelFallingIn.mp4

Test 1: Testing with Flags
Load WheelFallsTestSave.json

Note:
The front wheel falls into the ground.

Additional Information:
The landing gear in this case are LY-10s
This test appeared to only happen with the Duna flag. The other flags in the save file don't seem to trigger the bug.
When I first moved the plane into position and saved the game this did not happen. It happened on loading the save afterwards.

Test 2: Testing with No Flags (I edited the save file)
Load  WheelFallsTestSaveNoFlags.json

Note:
The wheels stay where they should.

The above issue happens within a range of UT times and not other times.

Spoiler

Screenshot:
All Wheels Drop into the ground after timewarping to a certain point in time.

Spoiler

AllWheelsFellIntoGround.png.7a0e499c23d5

Video Evidence:
TimeRelatedWheelDrop.mp4

Steps to Replicate:

1. Load GoodAtCurrentTime.json (which stays on the ground like it should)
  2. Timewarp until the shadow is completely over the top of the plane.
  3. Disengage Timewarp.

Duna:

Spoiler

LT-1 Landing Legs does this with a flag on Eeloo however I didn't test this with flags on other planets/moons.
Save File:
DunalandingLegsFallingIn.json
Save File: No Flags
DunalandingLegsNoFlags.json

Note:
A change in UT affects this like Laythe.

Eeloo:

Spoiler

LT-2 Landing Legs does this with a flag on Mun but it would do it for flags on other planets/moons as well.
Save File:
EelooLandingLegsFallingIn.json
Save File: No Flags
EelooLandingLegsNoFlags.json

Note:
A change in UT affects this like Laythe.

Credit:

@DibzNr Gave me his save files in relation to his bug report:

@Moredice Gave  me his save files in regards to Eeloo and I used his save to launch to Duna.

Edited by DibzNr
Fixed Tylo image

29 answers to this question

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 11 Home | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz | GPU: NVidia RTX 3080 Founders Edition | RAM32.0 GB (31.9 GB usable)

Trying to walk back to my lander from the monument and val keeps getting stuck with her feet off the ground and unable to move, swapping back and forth between crafts can unstick her but after a few more steps stuck again.

Included Attachments:

Screenshot2023-12-22113326.png.b02ea1e230cecc5e00af79e287205064.png

Edited by The Space Peacock

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 11 | CPU: i7 12700k | GPU: RTX 3070 | RAM32G

On Tylo near the monument, a Kerbal can get stuck on terrain.  It appears the Kerbal gets stuck in the "jumping/floating" animation (?) and can no longer walk (see attached video).

Included Attachments:

Edited by The Space Peacock

OS: Windows | CPU: i3-101000 3.6GHz | GPU: GTX 1660S Super | RAM16gb 2666MHz

While out on EVA on Tylo, taking a 4.5km hike to the monument, I stumble upon a point (about 1.5km away) where I can't walk towards the monument without getting stuck as shown.

Issues:

At around 1.5km away from the Tylo monument: When moving towards the monument, I get stuck after a few steps and spin around slowly

When moving away from or sideways to the monument, I do not get stuck.

Solution:

Using time warp while stuck, then going back to 1x timewarp, I get unstuck and can take a few steps towards the monument without getting stuck, or I can move away from the monument without getting stuck.

Included Attachments:

OS: Windows 11 (64 bit) | CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X 16-Core Processor | GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT | RAMRAM: 31864 Mb

Title: Terrain Near Laythe Creature Appears to be Sand but Kerman and Rovers Don't Work

Severity: (high/med/low).   Med

Frequency: (high/med/low).  High - if you're here it's happening

Description:  Built a rover to try and get close to the Laythe creature skeleton. Got it landed on the sand bar but the wheels just spin without moving anywhere. EVA Kerman also just stand there hovering. They seem to behave like they're in water but the terrain appears to be sand/ground.

Included Attachments:

3 hours ago, kevlar818 said:

OS: Windows 11 (64 bit) | CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X 16-Core Processor | GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT | RAMRAM: 31864 Mb

Title: Terrain Near Laythe Creature Appears to be Sand but Kerman and Rovers Don't Work

Severity: (high/med/low).   Med

Frequency: (high/med/low).  High - if you're here it's happening

Description:  Built a rover to try and get close to the Laythe creature skeleton. Got it landed on the sand bar but the wheels just spin without moving anywhere. EVA Kerman also just stand there hovering. They seem to behave like they're in water but the terrain appears to be sand/ground.

Included Attachments:

StuckOnLaythe.png.283032cf7c4f9db4dc6c13a83d1e5fe6.png

for me this happens any hill biome at laythe.

I splashed down near by and swam to this feature on Laythe. Could hardly get a sample as you have to climb up on it. Then I went over to the mud and got my science, but realized I was stuck and couldn't go back in the water or walk anywhere.

OS: windows 10 | CPU: Ryzen 5900x 12 core 24 thread 4.2 Ghz | GPU: radeon 6600xt | RAM32gb ddr4

i landed my lander near the duna monument and saved the game. when i came back val was still on the surface, i got her in the lander can and throttled the engines. the craft didnt move. when i retracted the landing legs, it did not fall to the ground.

Included Attachments:

main.json

OS: windows 11 | CPU: 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-12900K | GPU:   NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti | RAM64 gb

around the noord side of the monument/easteregg of tylo i getting stuck all over the place. when i drive a rover or walk. its between 1 km and 1.5 km away from the monument its like walking in a mine field. and getting stuck all over the place. there is no way to get closer to the monument without getting stuck and the kerbal and rover wont move any more. the kerbal will go in the falling animation and cant move again. i try reloading the game and it happing on the same place or if i walk a diffrent route it will happen on a diffrent place. its all over the place neer that monument. and there is no way for me to get closer by walking or driving the rover. 

Included Attachments:

OS: Windows 10 Home 64-bit | CPU: Intel Core i9-10900KF 3.70GHz | GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 | RAM32

I "crash" landed on Laythe. Basically landed with an underpowered underfueled vessel on laythe. It landed intact but tipped over.

When exiting the craft, the Kerbals were able to make a few steps after beeing unable to walk. Further more, they started T-posing. I was able to walk several steps with the first kerbal and plant a flag. Also taking probes worked, but I couldn`t move. Switching between vessel and kerbals didn`t help. Reloading the savegame didn`t help either. 

I reloaded a savegame a bit earier and landed a few km from the first Landingsite, same result. Rerbals wer unable to move.

Both Landingsites were close to the Kraken sceleton on Laythe.

Included Attachments:

OS: Windows 10 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5500 | GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 | RAM32GB

I landed a craft on Eeloo to do the frozen wave mission. So far everything went great(and the new update is amazing by the way!) and I detached my rover from my main lander but when I switched to the rover, half of my lander(which I am no longer controlling) fell through the ground about a meter or two. Luckily it didn't fall all the way through the ground and it didn't completely tip over but I just wanted y'all to know. I also experienced something like this in the Mohole where when I landed I actually landed about 4-5 meters below where the ground looked like it was but I didn't report it at the time.

I attached a video for you guys to watch.

I hope this is helpful!

Included Attachments:

2024-01-1222-17-50.mkv

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: K2D2, Flight Plan, Community Fixes, Maneuver Node Controller, Node Manager, Space Warp, Patch Manager, Premonition | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 10 | CPU: Ryzen 9 5950X | GPU: RTX 3080 | RAM64 GB

I've uploaded a video here:

I can't walk or jump while glitched like this.  I can usually get Valentina to drop to the ground again by switching to my ship and back again.  However, as soon as I move more than a step or two, it glitches again.  I can sometimes jump if I'm lucky.

Included Attachments:

autosave_6.json

autosave_6.meta

OS: Windows 10 | CPU: AMD 3600 | GPU: 4070 Super | RAM32 GB

When my Kerbal walks on Tylo within 1.9 km of the monument, it takes a few steps, then freezes. The pose is as if it has jumped and is flying. Changing the game speed up and then down makes the kerbal behave normally for a few more steps.

Included Attachments:

fZ93VxT.jpg

This didn't start happening until I loaded a save with my craft parked here by the bones.  Before having loaded my save I had taxied my plane all the way over here.
I can get them unstuck for a moment by retracting the gear and extending them again, but a second or two later they get stuck again.

Reported Version: v0.2.1 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 11 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8-Core Processor | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | RAM15.91 GB

Specs:

CPU Vendor: AuthenticAMD
CPU Name: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8-Core Processor
CPU Frequency:  3.4 GHz
CPU Physical Cores: 8
CPU Logical Cores: 16
RAM Size: 15.91 GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
Video Driver: 30.0.15.1165
VRAM Size: 8 GB

Severity: High; closing and restarting the game does not fix it.

Frequency: Medium.

Description: After driving around on Laythe, my rover abruptly began clipping into the terrain and getting stuck. It can sometimes wiggle and slide around a bit, but behaves as though it's stuck in mud. This persisted even after reloading earlier quicksaves or restarting the game.

Included Attachments:

Reported Version: v0.2.1 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 11 | CPU: 12th Gen Intel Core i9-12900H | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 | RAM16GB

I was doing the Tylo Monument mission, and had landed about 600 meters from the monument. When I got a kerbal out to EVA, the kerbal walked about ten meters then stopped and looked like it was in no gravity. I had to keep quicksaving and quickloading about 50 times to get the kerbal in the monument area. Each time I would quickload, I could have the kerbal run one step or jump, and then the kerbal would look like it was in zero gravity again. Even using RCS to thrust downwards did not help. Also, whenever the kerbal was near the rocket I had landed, the rocket would start bouncing up, down, sideways, crashing 90% of the time.

Included Attachments:

OS: Windows 10 | CPU: i7-10700k | GPU: RTX 3080 | RAM2x32GB, 3600Mhz

I'm driving on Tylo and the wheels are sunken into the ground and not moving. The wheels are spinning very fast though

Included Attachments: