PLZ PLZ HELP MY LAYTHE ORBITER

Andrew1233

HI! I launched a laythe probe 8 kerbal years ago and it was finally reaching laythe. But I tried many times to orbit using engine or aerobrake to capture.  But it either explode in the atmosphere(overheating/too much Gees)  or cannot be captured. I also used all fuel to kill off some speed but cannot get a good height for aerobraking. PLZ HELP I'm REALLY BAD AT DOING THIS THIS IS THE FIRST TIME!!!

Btw i only have about 3100 m/s of dV left

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnSKtfHOeyaqeQx9ggTyWUA/community?lb=UgkxS4i4Hu1xUs6QLZbQ2Yo7VX_CB0UjLMYv for image

Edited by Andrew1233

31 minutes ago, Watermel00n said:

Laythe's atmosphere thickens rapidly and this causes immense heat. Counter-intuitively, a better idea may be to use a Jool Aerobrake.

In my experience, Jool is worse for aerobraking due to the speed of re-entry and thus the ratio between heating and drag being worse.

2 hours ago, Andrew1233 said:

Btw i only have about 3100 m/s of dV left

That should be more than enough for a brute-force capture. What's your velocity at Laythe periapsis?

21 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

In my experience, Jool is worse for aerobraking due to the speed of re-entry and thus the ratio between heating and drag being worse.

That should be more than enough for a brute-force capture. What's your velocity at Laythe periapsis?

well, after i use the 3ed and rendezvous stage, i am about 5100 m/s for orbital speed

Hi @Andrew1233

Not sure I can help.

Sometime a mission is too  far along to make it work and the only thing to do is go back to the drawing board and do it again.

I can't tell where your probe is in your last save.

Is it still around the sun, in Jool's SOI, on a flyby of Laythe?

Can you provide your last save for me or others to look at?

ME

28 minutes ago, Martian Emigrant said:

Hi @Andrew1233

Not sure I can help.

Sometime a mission is too  far along to make it work and the only thing to do is go back to the drawing board and do it again.

I can't tell where your probe is in your last save.

Is it still around the sun, in Jool's SOI, on a flyby of Laythe?

Can you provide your last save for me or others to look at?

ME

yeah the save is in jool orbit, a 3 hour projectory to laythe PE

4 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

You could try capturing at Jool periapsis and using Tylo assists to bleed velocity.

kinda hard, because the save is in jool orbit, a 3 hour projectory to laythe PE. And i don't think it can take a small burn to tylo

1 hour ago, Bej Kerman said:

你能展示一下你的地图视图吗?我怀疑你可能没有沿着正确的方向运行。

file:///var/folders/yx/xt36_3mx72l7qt5854t229b00000gn/T/TemporaryItems/NSIRD_screencaptureui_KQtzUp/%E6%88%AA%E5%B1%8F2023-12-31%2012.56.53.png

Can you show your map view? I suspect you might not be orbiting in the right direction.

Ah its here https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1x2B-AflCLS21Db5eMuOwBsjQ7YolUX2MS0KHDvP-8mo/edit

the first one is incorrect

2 hours ago, Andrew1233 said:

file:///var/folders/yx/xt36_3mx72l7qt5854t229b00000gn/T/TemporaryItems/NSIRD_screencaptureui_KQtzUp/%E6%88%AA%E5%B1%8F2023-12-31%2012.56.53.png

Ah its here https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1x2B-AflCLS21Db5eMuOwBsjQ7YolUX2MS0KHDvP-8mo/edit

the first one is incorrect

First link is not a web address and the second is private.

It's easier to copy the screenshots and paste them into a tab with Imgur open, then use "copy image address" for the link to embed here.

First link is not a web address and the second is private.

It's easier to copy the screenshots and paste them into a tab with Imgur open, then use "copy image address" for the link to embed here.

file:///Users/cenlihua/Desktop/%E6%88%AA%E5%B1%8F2023-12-31%2016.47.41.png

wait it dosent work

1 minute ago, Andrew1233 said:

file:///Users/cenlihua/Desktop/%E6%88%AA%E5%B1%8F2023-12-31%2016.47.41.png

wait it dosent work

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnSKtfHOeyaqeQx9ggTyWUA/community?lb=UgkxFLCcQn6gRtxFuyKynWgbNBxrNFhELbHB

this will work

1 hour ago, Andrew1233 said:

Yeah, you're doomed because you're approaching in the opposite direction, so that's your own velocity plus the velocity of Laythe you need to burn off. If you've got any earlier quicksaves, adjust your orbit so you come round the dayside of Jool.

Just now, Bej Kerman said:

Yeah, you're doomed because you're approaching in the opposite direction, so that's your own velocity plus the velocity of Laythe you need to burn off. If you've got any earlier quicksaves, adjust your orbit so you come round the dayside of Jool.

Nooo! but I have another way though, it's like the cassini-huygens thing, so I kill off speed, then get into jool orbit with a AP at  laythe orbital height, I tried this and it worked, but later it got wrong and got shoots out from the kerbol system, can you tell me how to adjust orbit and doesn't let the orbit change? i'm bad at doing orbital changes, and my only goal is to get waypoints on laythe and get my "Flea" probe on the laythe pole. also do KerbNet have to be in a encounter or just close to the body i want to waypoint?

23 minutes ago, Andrew1233 said:

I have another way though, it's like the cassini-huygens thing,

Let us know how that works out, and good luck!

Hi again @Andrew1233

I am no expert on orbital mechanic. (I manage)

GB-DRKvQ8WQ3zR-4MfsDHbSLFvLbqW6mF-sWwlod

But judging from that picture you are on a flyby through Jool's SOI and you are trying to nudge your probe into the atmosphere of Laythe.

I do not believe it is possible to shed that king of energy by aerobraking alone.

(Did you try burning all the remaining delta-V right before entering the atmosphere?)

(It is sometime possible to plan a course that will burn retrograde and radially to burn ALL remaining fuel before the atmosphere and be just deep enough)

When I go to Jool I will do a course correction as soon as my ship is in the Sun's SOI.

I will work on the manoeuvre until I get a capture in the SOI.

Being in an orbit means so much less energy than a flyby.

I do not enter the SOI without a plan.

Your probe is inside the orbit of Tylo.

The probe came in the SOI on a flyby. IE It as enough energy to get out of the said SOI.

It is now inside the orbit of Tylo.

Without seeing your fuel remaining and actual course I believe it is too late.

Reload an earlier save.

Or save your actual game under a new name and look at your backup folder for an earlier auto-saved game to try again.

We all have lost probes, ships and Kerbals.

ME

17 minutes ago, Martian Emigrant said:

Hi again @Andrew1233

I am no expert on orbital mechanic. (I manage)

GB-DRKvQ8WQ3zR-4MfsDHbSLFvLbqW6mF-sWwlod

But judging from that picture you are on a flyby through Jool's SOI and you are trying to nudge your probe into the atmosphere of Laythe.

I do not believe it is possible to shed that king of energy by aerobraking alone.

(Did you try burning all the remaining delta-V right before entering the atmosphere?)

(It is sometime possible to plan a course that will burn retrograde and radially to burn ALL remaining fuel before the atmosphere and be just deep enough)

When I go to Jool I will do a course correction as soon as my ship is in the Sun's SOI.

I will work on the manoeuvre until I get a capture in the SOI.

Being in an orbit means so much less energy than a flyby.

I do not enter the SOI without a plan.

Your probe is inside the orbit of Tylo.

The probe came in the SOI on a flyby. IE It as enough energy to get out of the said SOI.

It is now inside the orbit of Tylo.

Without seeing your fuel remaining and actual course I believe it is too late.

Reload an earlier save.

Or save your actual game under a new name and look at your backup folder for an earlier auto-saved game to try again.

We all have lost probes, ships and Kerbals.

ME

yeah, but at least I got a bunch of laythe flyby and maybe* a orbit around jool 

1 hour ago, 18Watt said:

Let us know how that works out, and good luck!

the plan starting on 2024 jan 1!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.