Under Pressure KSP2 Mission, Land 10 Kerbals on Eve and back :)

astrobond

Hi All, That was the last mission i had to do, that was hard, that was fun, i need other missions to do now !!! ;)

No cheats, Stock game, I made a less than 3000 Tons Ship for all the mission in one go,  a 205 Tons Lander (with the weight 10 Kerbals included) to go back to Orbit .

Here are the pictures of the journey :)

s4usXIb.jpeg

The Full Ship, just under 3000 Tons...

b2sIW0I.jpeg

Heat Shields to 50% ablating and the bottom ones slightly pushed to side to protect landing gears, Landing gears to minimum springs and dampening, one Kerbal in the MK1 and 6+3 in the cargo bay.

FtuCDND.jpeg

204.73 Tons when ready to go back in Orbit.  A good TWR is really important...

le7baxe.jpeg

Launch !!!

I3D6Pry.jpeg

Orbit :)

AXKSUtO.jpeg

1041 dv to Eve Encounter.

baym8xQ.jpeg

Dv of aspargus stages is not really... good, but the dv for interplanetary stage was ok !

e7aluhM.jpeg

I made some one minute burns at eve PE.

JvDSTQX.jpeg

First Eve insertion burn.

61I2bJq.jpeg

Now in a nice orbit :)

xmoNssB.jpeg

After undocking of the interplanetary ship, it's time to make the de-orbit burn...

4dRhFTF.jpeg

It's hot, but Ok !

getJYz6.jpeg

About 3000m, no more need of the top Shields...

nPh5cMB.jpeg

When the chutes are opened, we can free the bottom shields.

aTx8zzo.jpeg

Almost landed, 9.5m/s is ok for the landing gears :)

De51hif.jpeg

Selfie of the 10 Kerbals on Eve !!!

gLaIXa3.jpeg

Back in the lander, 506m above sea level...

ganVPJx.jpeg

We have to be as light as possible, so... Lets GO !!!

Ll0Dioa.jpeg

aorv6kT.jpeg

Jk7F5D2.jpeg

CBdxVxD.jpeg

jQz4iGk.jpeg

Huhv3yI.jpeg

P14nJyQ.jpeg

FhqbbgI.jpeg

qBDZ0Ks.jpeg

Yessss Back in Orbit !!! :)

turxb26.jpeg

Everybody is OK :)

LYzDkmT.jpeg

The interplanetary ship is going to rescue our Kerbals...

oiFhZq3.jpeg

Almost docked :)

KRwQj1Q.jpeg

Time to go back to Kerbin !

UGrHbdt.jpeg

Hopefully we have enough dv xD

JnoMm1E.jpeg

Should be good...

TF5jrXc.jpeg

Hello Kerbin !

H9Zkm7P.jpeg

Bye bye mother ship...

YYqAko1.jpeg

Oh the Mun is still here too !

1BeOX7t.jpeg

7.5 m/s, fine :)

XGoUWOE.jpeg

Yesssss Mission OK !!!

MLeKBfK.jpeg

Fly safe !!! ;)

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, magnemoe said:

Impressive, but was they in tourist class the entire trip? 

Lol, there was a lot of snacks in the cargo bay, but i think the trip was not really in tourist class ;)

• 3 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Kirian said:

Very Cool! Are you willing to share your ship plans?

Thank You @Kirian :)

Sorry i only have the last version of the ship i used for the KSP2 0.2.1.0 Version Mission with Tier3 parts...

This "Light" Lander version is OK to reach orbit from 1000m ASL on Eve, but this is a little hard xD

Here is the link to the ship file:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1V9-Hbk8ITy-YMY5pXXL0V4WcOoVWDvtK/view?usp=sharing

Best Regards, Astrobond :)

Edit:

I made a new more friendly ship for this mission... a little heavier, but still with Tier 3 parts,  ready to go orbit from Eve Sea Level, and more easy to land :)

(if the landing legs are not set at spring 0.10 and damper 2.00, go with those values to land without exploding ;) )

the new ship:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1un-csNs5l-xpeWmXZHc7yF6gBozZet9S/view?usp=sharing

Edited by astrobond

20 hours ago, astrobond said:

I made a new more friendly ship for this mission... a little heavier, but still with Tier 3 parts,  ready to go orbit from Eve Sea Level, and more easy to land :)

OK, I'm really surprised you did this with T3 parts. Your vessel shown earlier has T4 parts of course, so very cool getting it down to smaller parts!

Alas, the T3 build didn't actually quite make it down to the surface; at least, my copy of it didn't. The trusses holding the upper-level heat shields started to overheat; on my first shot, one of them blasted away, pulling everything else off-balance. Second try, I released the four together before one overheated... but then the combo of no balance from those and very slow SAS (due to the build) meant the lander couldn't stay in retrograde long enough, and broke apart. Additionally, the interplanetary stage requires high precision... I had to accept a somewhat high PE on arrival, and getting it down close enough to the planet meant it no longer has enough dV to return to Kerbin. So it goes...

I'll try sending my normal two-launch combo this time to rescue the Kerbals--at least they'll travel home in style, even if it does take a while for rescue ships to arrive.

40 minutes ago, Kirian said:

Alas, the T3 build didn't actually quite make it down to the surface; at least, my copy of it didn't. The trusses holding the upper-level heat shields started to overheat; on my first shot, one of them blasted away, pulling everything else off-balance. Second try, I released the four together before one overheated... but then the combo of no balance from those and very slow SAS (due to the build) meant the lander couldn't stay in retrograde long enough, and broke apart. Additionally, the interplanetary stage requires high precision... I had to accept a somewhat high PE on arrival, and getting it down close enough to the planet meant it no longer has enough dV to return to Kerbin. So it goes...

I'll try sending my normal two-launch combo this time to rescue the Kerbals--at least they'll travel home in style, even if it does take a while for rescue ships to arrive.

Hi @Kirian :)

Sorry for that... maybe some "tuned" parts are not in the copy ? 

You have to set the shields to 50% ablating material (to save weight) , and the landing legs to 0.1 spring and 2 Damper for a better landing.

If some parts become hot, try to rotate the  ship while aerobraking, that helped me a lot :) ( and of course save the game while in orbit before trying.... some times it goes wrong for me too :( )

My landing was done from a 110km orbit, lowering the PE to around 60km.

Hope this help :)

4 hours ago, astrobond said:

maybe some "tuned" parts are not in the copy ?

If some parts become hot, try to rotate the  ship while aerobraking, that helped me a lot :) ( and of course save the game while in orbit before trying.... some times it goes wrong for me too :( )

No, the tuning was there in the copy :)  But I will try one more landing with rotation while I aerobrake. I'm coming from about 100 km with a PE of about 70 km.

Edit: Roll during descent worked!! Touchdown and back into orbit achieved! Thanks again.

Edited by Kirian

10 hours ago, Kirian said:

Additionally, the interplanetary stage requires high precision... I had to accept a somewhat high PE on arrival, and getting it down close enough to the planet meant it no longer has enough dV to return to Kerbin. So it goes...

@Kirian I forgot to say that when you go back to the mothership and dock, the dV is far better than before you undock the lander, because the weight of the capsule with the 10 Kerbals is light ! so you should have enough dV to go back Kerbin :)

I'll go ahead and pile on with my own "Under Pressure" mission report. My decent stage ended up looking pretty similar since I also used drag petals! The biggest hardship was keeping my part count low enough to stave off the kraken. I got away with only a few glitches. 

excellent job!!

But now,  im trying to figure out, what the upper heat shields are attached to?    (the ones for the desenct to eve surface, above the rocket)

It kind of looks like they are attached to solar panels, but that cant possibly be strong enough, right???

Thanks!

3 hours ago, CFTeague2 said:

excellent job!!

But now,  im trying to figure out, what the upper heat shields are attached to?    (the ones for the desenct to eve surface, above the rocket)

It kind of looks like they are attached to solar panels, but that cant possibly be strong enough, right???

Thanks!

Hi @CFTeague2 and Thank you :)

The Upper heat shields can be attached to Radials Decouplers (TT-38K) using xs long struss (ST-XS-4) or Tubes (TOOB-000) for better temperature resist but harder to use in VAB.

In the first version of my ship i used small panels (SP-S06), but that was not as good as the other ones :) (too much parts, weight and can overheat)

7 hours ago, CFTeague2 said:

what the upper heat shields are attached to?

@astrobond is correct. I used small radial decouplers attached to the fuel tank. Then long strusses. At the end I attached the heat shields and rotated them. I placed them at a point where the strusses would be protected by the lower heat shields and angled them so that the drag they create would increase positive stability in the craft, just like dihedral on an airplane. 

4 hours ago, Destinesta said:

I did this whole mission but did not get credit.  Is there something specific you need to do.  I was very sad, spent since Jan working on it and didn't get credit when I pulled it off. 

Hi @Destinesta, yes there is a bug in this mission, sometimes you do not get the credits, happened to me too :( 

If you saved your game while back in orbit around Eve, you can try to reload from that file and go back to Kerbin, or you can  use the cheat menu to teleport your ship from Eve Orbit to Kerbin surface  to end the mission with rewards :)

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/11/2024 at 5:41 AM, Destinesta said:

@astrobond Thank you!  I think me using a different vehicle to retrieve my little ship that what remained after the ascent back up made it a different ship.  Thanks for the ideas! I know I did it, Ill get the complete through methods....

Did you ever figure this out definitively? We're not supposed to launch from Eve surface to orbit, then make the entire trip back to Kerbin without a pusher ship, right? That would require an impossibly huge rocket...

I just completed this mission yesterday, and didn't get credit for it too. I'm thinking it could be one of two things. 1) My ship didn't have any bone-fide command pods in it. All ten kerbals were in rover chairs. Maybe the game doesn't could that as a 'vessel'? or 2) I realized after I got my ship back into orbit, that I used different size docking ports on my lander and my interplanetary pusher, so I had to build a new pusher ship and fly it out to Eve to pick up my Kerbals. Maybe using a ship that was launched after the Kerbals were launched caused the game to see it as 'not the same ship'?

Regardless, I hope the devs sort this out eventually, because it's pretty frustrating to spend three weeks designing a ship for this mission, only to have it glitch out and not mark as 'complete'.

1 hour ago, brispo said:

Did you ever figure this out definitively? We're not supposed to launch from Eve surface to orbit, then make the entire trip back to Kerbin without a pusher ship, right? That would require an impossibly huge rocket...

I just completed this mission yesterday, and didn't get credit for it too. I'm thinking it could be one of two things. 1) My ship didn't have any bone-fide command pods in it. All ten kerbals were in rover chairs. Maybe the game doesn't could that as a 'vessel'? or 2) I realized after I got my ship back into orbit, that I used different size docking ports on my lander and my interplanetary pusher, so I had to build a new pusher ship and fly it out to Eve to pick up my Kerbals. Maybe using a ship that was launched after the Kerbals were launched caused the game to see it as 'not the same ship'?

Regardless, I hope the devs sort this out eventually, because it's pretty frustrating to spend three weeks designing a ship for this mission, only to have it glitch out and not mark as 'complete'.

If you have a saved game while back in Eve Orbit, you can use the cheat menu (alt F12) to teleport your ship with the ten Kerbals on the rover chairs on the surface of Kerbin just to see if the mission is 'complete' :)

On 4/5/2024 at 10:54 AM, astrobond said:

If you have a saved game while back in Eve Orbit, you can use the cheat menu (alt F12) to teleport your ship with the ten Kerbals on the rover chairs on the surface of Kerbin just to see if the mission is 'complete' :)

ALT+F12 isn't doing anything for me.

30 minutes ago, brispo said:

ALT+F12 isn't doing anything for me.

Yes sometimes ALT+F12 is used by another program on the computer (Nvidia for example)... In this case you have to change the binding key in the Settings-Inputs menu of KSP2 :) (section GLOBAL, ToggleCheat Menu).