RIP Kerbal Space Program 2: It's Maybe Over?

Posted (edited)

Company Location Layoff Start Date # of Workers Closure Layoff Type of Layoff Received Date
Take- Two Interactive Software, Inc. Seattle 6/28/2024 70 Closure Permanent 4/29/2024

Folks, it looks like T2 might've shut down IG; stay up to date with the forums and Discord to follow this developing situation. Let's not repeat the meltdown that happened earlier today.

Edited by AtomicTech
Updated to cool the temperature.

The company sent out a WARN notice (legally required govt document) indicating 70 staff at the Seattle office are being laid off. You do not get more official than that. That's the only office they have in Seattle.

In addition to workers posting they're looking for jobs, were laid off etc. In addition to job postings for the office going to dead links. In addition to...

It's over. They are NOT going to bring in another studio for this game, they did that once already. 

RIP Kerbal. Killed in action development.

Just now, TLTay said:

RIP Kerbal. Killed in action development.

Or as someone else posted, "Rapid Unplanned Disassembly/Dismissals"

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, TLTay said:

snip

Yeah, it doesn't get more real than this. Take Two is legally covering their butts here. Because this IS happening.

I 100% get people not wanting to believe everything they read on the internet, but in this case...

Edited by Meecrob

36 minutes ago, Icegrx said:

Im still waiting for official word before I declare KSP2 dead 

There is a very real chance that you will be strung along indefinitely. They can claim to be working on it, while devoting 2 employee hours a quarter to it. It would then still technically and legally be in development.

Just now, TLTay said:

There is a very real chance that you will be strung along indefinitely. They can claim to be working on it, while devoting 2 employee hours a quarter to it. It would then still technically and legally be in development.

I'm in Seattle. I'm a software engineer. I volunteer as tribute.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Flush Foot said:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yup. There are some people who have a very hard time reading corporate speak.

The article said they are continuing to support KSP2, which is correct at this second since it's still available. That may or may not change in the weeks ahead. As you said, it's mighty hard to develop a game without developers.

They don't really need to put out a notice of cancellation, you got the product you paid for.

Edited by TLTay

https://www.linkedin.com/in/grace2ek/

1714416295154?e=1715187600&v=beta&t=eIJS

Got us an open for work for an associate producer.

https://www.eurogamer.net/kerbal-space-program-2-studio-reportedly-shut-down-by-take-two

"Looks like they might have laid off the entire KSP 2 dev team. Intercept Games are the only team in the Take-Two offices in Seattle and they had around 70 employees. Lots of LinkedIn profiles saying looking for work. Kerbal Space Program 2 might be dead. pic.twitter.com/Q9SqBwEyeK

— GiantWaffle (@GiantWaffle) May 1, 2024"

https://gamingbolt.com/kerbal-space-program-2-developer-intercept-games-has-reportedly-been-shut-down

"A former Intercept Games developer recently confirmed on Twitter that he had been laid off by the studio, while others – such as associate producer Grace Tuohey-Kay and community manager Dakota Callahan – have listed themselves as being “open for work” on their LinkedIn profiles."

(Note: Dakota's profile no longer lists the open for work.)

1 hour ago, AtomicTech said:

https://www.gamedeveloper.com/business/take-two-confirms-kerbal-space-program-2-is-safe-despite-seattle-layoffs#close-modaln

Maybe some hope?

In any case, it's been quite the ride with y'all

Fingers crossed that the worst doesn't come to pass.

I really don't think so. That article/statement from T2 doesn't seem to tell us any new information, just a very corporate recitation of what we've known for weeks at this point - that being that yes there are layoffs and that they're not immediately burning KSP2 to the ground. But "no immediate death" is a pretty far cry from "everything is fine."

7 minutes ago, AtomicTech said:

I'm seeing a senior technical artist, associate producer and software engineer II?

I'm only seeing the first two. Where'd the second engineer come from?

What a disappointing final slap in the face. I'm glad I never bought the game but the game and the studio have been nothing but consistent, thorough letdowns. I was hoping I'd see a polished, up to date, and expanded KSP game. Unless another studio takes it up or comes out with another game like it, it looks like that won't be happening.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, EndeavourCmdr said:

Still speculation. Wait for something official to be announced. Freaking out will NOT help.

LOL we'll get an announcement about an announcement after they sprint plan their announcement schedule. 

Freak out or dont freak out  It doesnt matter dawg. [snip]

Edited by Vanamonde

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Observe said:

Good riddance to bad rubbish. Long live KSP1!

Not bad. Just cut short. IF it is cut short that is (which would be stupid if it was. you can't as a company dump loads of money into a game and then stop development. Layoffs? Fine. That's a dumb move but they don't care. But ceasing development? That's just plain stupid. So I doubt development will cease all-together.)

Edited by NexusHelium

21 minutes ago, Zaffre said:

Unless another studio takes it up or comes out with another game like it, it looks like that won't be happening

Perhaps it is already happening, looking at some posts on reddit. It won't be soon, though.

18 minutes ago, Terensky said:

Perhaps it is already happening, looking at some posts on reddit. It won't be soon, though.

Which posts?

56 minutes ago, NexusHelium said:

I'm only seeing the first two. Where'd the second engineer come from?

Had to go through a few pages