[1.12.x] Periapsis Motors: Sepratrons Expanded

Posted (edited)

Tired of separation motors sticking out like a sore thumb? Wanting something bigger, or perhaps smaller?

Periapsis Rocket Supplies Co. is proud to present their newest product lineup! With an astonishing three parts to choose from, there's fun for the whole family! Put a modern twist on an old classic with the Sepratron I-B: the Sepratron you all know and love, clad in a stylish aero shroud! Go big with the jumbo-size Sepratron II, or punch above your weight with the fun-size Sepratron 8-1!

b8Dvg31.png

This mod is a pack of separation motors in a ReStockalike style, with an array of different visual styles for each. A list of currently included parts is below:

Spoiler

Sepratron I-B: a stock Sepratron I with an aero shroud

PEGiHO1.png

Sepratron II: a double-thrust, double-fuel Sepratron, also with an optional aero shroud

S95iuYG.png

Sepratron 8-1: a 1/8th-fuel Sepratron, pointing radially for ease of use

ci5MJI7.png

Download:  Spacedock

Changelog:

Spoiler

1.0.2: Fixed jagged texture edges on Sep. I-B and II

1.0.0: Initial release!

Dependencies:

Licensing:

Spoiler

The art assets in this mod, including textures, models, and animations, are distributed under an All Rights Reserved license. You may not redistribute or re-use these assets without express permission from the author.

All other content including configurations is distributed under the MIT license below:

Copyright © 2023 Starseeker

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED “AS IS”, WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.

Edited by Starseeker

Posted (edited)

YES! Finally! I wanted a mod like this for years! Since I used Nertea's suite instead of KW Rocketry, I always feel that something was missing with the lack of Sepatron variants.
And more using mods like Engine Ignitor, when Ullage is VERY important!

Some feedback on testing:
- First the nozzle of all of the SRB appears like too shiny, I don't know if its a bug or a feature.
- Second, I recommend changing the name of the "White" variant to something like "Bare" so people know that the Sepatron II has a variant with the same design as the original one.
- Also, there's some plan to use Waterfall? I have seen some configs for Real Plumes. Maybe adding a config in the RSMP pack is better for this?

Apart from that great mod and I love your work! :D

Edited by Overlocker96

2 hours ago, Overlocker96 said:

Some feedback on testing:
- First the nozzle of all of the SRB appears like too shiny, I don't know if its a bug or a feature.
- Second, I recommend changing the name of the "White" variant to something like "Bare" so people know that the Sepatron II has a variant with the same design as the original one.
- Also, there's some plan to use Waterfall? I have seen some configs for Real Plumes. Maybe adding a config in the RSMP pack is better for this?

Apart from that great mod and I love your work! :D

Appreciate the feedback!  I'll respond point by point:

• That's definitely intentional, unless something's gone very wrong. I based the texturing off of the palette & style of ReStock, which has some shine on the Sepratron I's nozzle. It shouldn't be too excessive though; if it's like, chrome-plated-looking or something, then toss a screenshot over and I'll see if I can figure out what's going on.
  • Bit confused as to what you mean here? The "white" variant on all the parts is the white aero shroud, and there's a "bare" version for the II and 8-1 that has no shroud (the I-B's "bare" version is just the stock part); which one are you saying should be labeled what?
  • I'd love to use Waterfall for plume effects! Sadly, last I looked into it, the consensus was that it didn't really work well for SRB plumes, since they've got a lot of particulate material in them & end up being very opaque, which Waterfall doesn't support very well. I'd be happy to be wrong about that though!

Glad you enjoy! ^.=.^

Posted (edited)

Ok, I think I've found the issue, I didn't have the ModuleDepthMask mod installed because ReStock uses a custom one and I didn't think it needed it :rolleyes:

On the second one, I think I mixed the Sepatron I-B with the Sepatron II, sorry, my bad :P

And the Waterfall part I think the configs from RSMP are actually pretty good and doesn't have that issue with the opaque material, you can try those configs from the Vanilla Sepatrons onto your Sepatrons.

Edited by Overlocker96

9 minutes ago, Overlocker96 said:

Ok, I think I've found the issue, I didn't have the ModuleDepthMask mod installed because ReStock uses a custom one and I didn't think it needed it :rolleyes:

Ah yep, that's it - if you don't have the standalone one installed, it won't work properly :P

I might add in an MM patch later that swaps it to the ReStock bundled version's namespace if ReStock is installed, and have the standalone only be a dependency if ReStock isn't present; I'll have to puzzle out the dependency chain in that case.

Also, what does RSMP refer to? Not an acronym I recognize ^^;

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Starseeker said:

Ah yep, that's it - if you don't have the standalone one installed, it won't work properly :P

I might add in an MM patch later that swaps it to the ReStock bundled version's namespace if ReStock is installed, and have the standalone only be a dependency if ReStock isn't present; I'll have to puzzle out the dependency chain in that case.

Yep, and I think it easy to make, like this:

Spoiler

MODULE
  {
    name = ModuleRestockDepthMask
    maskTransform = DepthMask
  }

So its only changing the Module name

Also RSMP configs for the sepatron are easy to use for the new sepatrons, and you can link to the RSMP project or maybe to Restock Waterfall Expansion that also has the same SRB configs on the latest version.

Edited by Overlocker96

On 5/15/2024 at 9:51 AM, Overlocker96 said:

Yep, and I think it easy to make, like this:

Reveal hidden contents

MODULE
  {
    name = ModuleRestockDepthMask
    maskTransform = DepthMask
  }

So its only changing the Module name

I can confirm that it is as simple as doing this. If I manage to remember to do so I will cook up some MM patches later and add them here.

6 hours ago, Dalk said:

I can confirm that it is as simple as doing this. If I manage to remember to do so I will cook up some MM patches later and add them here.

Appreciate the desire to help! However, I'm already planning on doing it ^^;

Fair enough, I was able to get some configs together after all so let me know if you end up needing 'em. :P

The sep8-1 and sepIB were pretty easy to get working but I did run into some problems with the sepII and had to settle with a solution that is less elegant than I would prefer due to the two different ModuleDepthMask instances for the two different maskTransforms. Great mod by the way, definitely going to be making avid use of it in a JNSQ playthrough that is in the planning stages!

• 2 weeks later...