[1.12.x] Apoapsis Motors: Delta V, Done Dirt Cheap

Posted (edited)

A simple set of solid-fuel kick motors, for dirt-cheap dV boosts wherever you need them. Started as an introductory modding exercise, blossomed into a bit more (and lead to the creation of Periapsis Motors).

28RRVtB.png

D4dUDKn.png

Parts list:

Spoiler
  • STNE-06-1 "Pumice"
    Isvfth0.png

• STNE-06-2 "Tuff"
    m5ihwKV.png

• STNE-12-3 "Gabbro"
    8mOgqXA.png

• STNE-12-6 "Basalt"
    nQg69fN.png

• STNE-12-9 "Andesite"
    cgIdpL2.png

• STNE-18-4 "Granite"
    kXOxPeA.png

• STNE-18-8 "Rhyolite"
    xBuwgw8.png

• STNE-18-12 "Diorite"
    o9V4Hy5.png

Download: Spacedock

Screenshots:

Changelog:

Spoiler

1.1.1:

- Fixed texture error causing black seams on engine shrouds

1.1.0:

- Added STNE-12-9 "Andesite" and STNE-18-12 "Diorite"
- New model for STNE-12-6 "Basalt"; old model remains as hidden part for craft compatibility
- Model & texture improvements for STNE-12-3 "Gabbro"
- Engine shroud textures merged & standardized
- Engine stats rebalancing

1.0.1:

- Fixed normal maps on STNE-12-3, STNE-06-1, and STNE-06-2 engines

1.0.0:

- Initial release!

Known Issues:

Spoiler
  • None! :D

Dependencies:

Licensing:

Spoiler

The art assets in this mod, including textures, models, and animations, are distributed under an All Rights Reserved license. You may not redistribute or re-use these assets without express permission from the author.

All other content including configurations is distributed under the MIT license below:

Copyright © 2023 Starseeker

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED “AS IS”, WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.

Edited by Starseeker

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

v1.1.0 Update!

28RRVtB.png

Changes:

• Added STNE-12-9 "Andesite" and STNE-18-12 "Diorite"
  • New model for STNE-12-6 "Basalt"; old model remains as hidden part for craft compatibility
  • Model & texture improvements for STNE-12-3 "Gabbro"
  • Engine shroud textures merged & standardized
  • Engine stats rebalancing
    • Overall, specific impulses increased to the 270-290 range, and mass, cost, & thrust have been lowered across the board

Known issues:

• Some engine shrouds can render with a thin (sub-pixel width) black line along a UV seam Fixed in v1.1.1

Edited by Starseeker

Excellent mod!

STNE-12-3 "Gabbro" & MK.1 pod it's really elegant part for a moho-spacecraft (in kerbal style:D)

=====

recently I did some further modifications to 0.625m &1.25m motor

just in case this may help:

1, allowed to turned off (as thrust termination system), for precisely orbit insertion.

Spoiler

two method, I'm not sure which, 'cause compatibility risk.

A, pure native-support function. reference \GameData\Squad\Parts\Resources\SmallTank\SmallTank.cfg

no fuel, no thrust

MODULE
    {
    name = ModuleFuelJettison
    }

B, better one, but it may need other mod to functional.  reference \GameData\Knes\Parts\Launcher\Diamant\_Knes_Diamant2_Booster_P10_9375.cfg

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleEnginesFX
        thrustVectorTransformName = thrustTransform
        throttleLocked = True
        exhaustDamage = True
        ignitionThreshold = 0.1
        minThrust = 0
        maxThrust = 80
        heatProduction = 60
        useEngineResponseTime = True
        engineAccelerationSpeed = 10.0
        allowShutdown = True
        allowRestart = False
        fxOffset = 0, 0, 0.4
        EngineType = SolidBooster
        runningEffectName = running_solid        

PROPELLANT
        {
            name = SolidFuel
            ratio = 1.0
            DrawGauge = True
        }

2, Built-in decoupler (extra cost & mass of course)

Ideally, "ModulePartVariants" can make it optional, but I just..... well, "a quick test, and then makeshift became a long-term use" ;)

Spoiler

stagingEnableText probably go's opposite, need test or word-polish with different languages (I'm not a native English speaker.:))

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleDecouple
        ejectionForce = 10
        explosiveNodeID = top
        isOmniDecoupler = true
        menuName = Thruster separate
        stagingEnabled = False
        stagingEnableText = Now: Thruster separate manually (default) (ignition + separation if pressed)
        stagingDisableText = Now: Thruster separate immediately when ignition (default state when pressed)
    }

I am embarrassed to say this, but I need help here. I've been playing this game since before there was a runway, and modding just as long. But for the life of me I can not get this mod to work. I have a fresh install that only has RealPlume, ModManager, and ApoapsisMotors installed. The models show up, and they fire when staged or manually ignited. They also provide a small amount of thrust. But there are not flame effects. The nozzles will glow red, but there isn't any particle effects. Both the game and the dependencies are the current versions. Am I the only one this is happening to?

The mod looks great btw. Great work. I just wish I could benefit from your hard work!

8 hours ago, dylsh said:

I am embarrassed to say this, but I need help here. I've been playing this game since before there was a runway, and modding just as long. But for the life of me I can not get this mod to work. I have a fresh install that only has RealPlume, ModManager, and ApoapsisMotors installed. The models show up, and they fire when staged or manually ignited. They also provide a small amount of thrust. But there are not flame effects. The nozzles will glow red, but there isn't any particle effects. Both the game and the dependencies are the current versions. Am I the only one this is happening to?

The mod looks great btw. Great work. I just wish I could benefit from your hard work!

I had same problem too, on about weeks ago.

try this one, it fixed the bug on me.

If it work normally, this should be enough, you'll see: "Squad original plume" on original SRB (BACC/Hammer/Kickback), and plume with Apoapsis Motor.

if didn't, keep first one, add

Restock Waterfall Expansion 3.0.0

and

RSMP ( Solid_Rockets_Waterfall_Effects-3.0_RSMP )

https://spacedock.info/mod/3051/Solid Rockets Waterfall Effects

that's my config (for now)

Restock Waterfall Expansion 3.0.0 will cause BUG ("continue show Flames and generate Sound after Flame-Out", rfried May,1 posted)

I tryed BLUAV8R Fix, copy-paste and didn't work, I'll keep tinkering this _(:з」∠)_ Other times, when I'm less that busy.

On 6/1/2024 at 2:42 PM, The Dressian Exploder said:

Do you have SmokeScreen? RealPlume requires it to work. RealPlume-Stock might be needed too, potentially.

On 6/1/2024 at 10:44 PM, xenoncqc_s said:

I had same problem too, on about weeks ago.

try this one, it fixed the bug on me.

If it work normally, this should be enough, you'll see: "Squad original plume" on original SRB (BACC/Hammer/Kickback), and plume with Apoapsis Motor.

if didn't, keep first one, add

Restock Waterfall Expansion 3.0.0

and

RSMP ( Solid_Rockets_Waterfall_Effects-3.0_RSMP )

https://spacedock.info/mod/3051/Solid Rockets Waterfall Effects

that's my config (for now)

Restock Waterfall Expansion 3.0.0 will cause BUG ("continue show Flames and generate Sound after Flame-Out", rfried May,1 posted)

I tryed BLUAV8R Fix, copy-paste and didn't work, I'll keep tinkering this _(:з」∠)_ Other times, when I'm less that busy.

That did it. Thanks guys! 

- I hope this mod, along with Periapsis Motors one day has compatibility with BetterSRBs. 

On 5/28/2024 at 11:59 PM, The Dressian Exploder said:

This is looking really nice! Though I wonder if the 'Gabbro' and 'Basalt' motors could have an option to fire each individual rocket separately...

That'd definitely be interesting! Not sure if there's a good way to do that though, at least not without writing my own plugin file :P

14 hours ago, dylsh said:

That did it. Thanks guys!

Also, glad you got it working! Sorry I wasn't able to offer help myself - forums were down last time I went to check on the thread >.>

3 hours ago, Starseeker said:

Also, glad you got it working! Sorry I wasn't able to offer help myself - forums were down last time I went to check on the thread >.>

No need to apologize. You’re the reason we have this mod! And the KSP community has always been very kind and helpful. 

v1.1.1 Update!

Just a minor fix for those texture seams on the engine shrouds - turns out that taking the inside faces of the shrouds & separating them from the rest of the mesh solves it, for some unknown reason.

This mod (along with Periapsis Motors) gave me the final push to try and make a part mod myself.

I'm curious, what modelling program did you use for your parts?

On 6/5/2024 at 6:52 PM, Oprissmian said:

This mod (along with Periapsis Motors) gave me the final push to try and make a part mod myself.

I'm curious, what modelling program did you use for your parts?

Glad to be that source of inspiration! Best of luck on your modding ventures ^.=.^

The modelling program I use is just Blender with a couple of addons. There's a great guide to a Unity-free modding workflow here; it's what I used to make these :P

I can't seem to actually download this through CKAN or manually, the spacedock link just won't work. Same issue with periapsis motors.

5 minutes ago, Madeline said:

I can't seem to actually download this through CKAN or manually, the spacedock link just won't work. Same issue with periapsis motors.

Nevermind it's a site issue sorry.

image.png?ex=666fb07f&is=666e5eff&hm=a8f

17 hours ago, Madeline said:

Nevermind it's a site issue sorry.

image.png?ex=666fb07f&is=666e5eff&hm=a8f

Ah, yeah, Spacedock was down for a bit recently :P

(Also as a heads-up, Discord image links don't work outside of Discord itself anymore)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.