Appreciate y'all

These Science and Spaceflight forums have become a welcome daily interaction for me and I sincerely hope they survive the current hullabaloo.  Just wanted to get it out there that I hope we get to do this here for many muns into the future

Not sure what the current hullabaloo is, and don't care to know in detail.  This forum is already heavily moderated for anything political or personally offensive.  There is a relatively small group of regulars who a comfortable around here.

I thinknhe is referring to troubkes around KSP2 and if this forum will survive all that.

I myself really hooe it does. I don't post here often, but I do visit muktiple times a day for spaceflightand science  news mostly.

@farmerben, I think Darth is referring to the plug being pulled on KSP2 development. Presumably funding to keep these forums running is tied to somebody's revenues from selling KSP so I too am concerned that, one day, I'll go to check what's new on here and find it's been shut down. But all good things do eventually come to an end. And it has been a good community to participate in. I have been a member since 2011, in the early days of KSP1. I've learned a lot in that time.

A stand-out memory is when the Chelyabinsk meteor happened. News of the event was posted on here within seconds of it happening. Over the ensuing hours, information trickled in about how significant it was. By the morning my time, the media was hauling experts from the local planetarium out of bed for interviews and I already knew, listening to the interviews, that those experts were wrong. This forum had it's finger right on the pulse. It was amazing. 

Where else could I delight in space science and nerd out about rocket propellant mixes? And not suffer blanket pedantry?

If it does go, know that I have appreciated you all too.

8 hours ago, AckSed said:

Where else could I delight in space science and nerd out about rocket propellant mixes? And not suffer blanket pedantry?

If it does go, know that I have appreciated you all too.

==> Exactly that

For a moment this morning, I had 502s trying to access these forums.

I can't stress how joyful I am to see we're still here and alive :)

Edited by grawl

I'd have to say I agree with you all as well, going through and reading these forums for updates on spaceflight while also getting a laugh or two (like when @sevenperforce calculated when you could pop some popcorn during an atlas v ascent with air friction) is a highlight of my day. You guys are all pretty awesome.

I also agree.

As an uneducated person I lurked for years being constantly drawn to S+S and being amazed by the insights of the membership and the science underlying KSP.

Whatever comes to be I thank all the contributors to the sub for igniting my interest in science and spaceflight.

11 hours ago, grawl said:

For a moment this morning, I had 502s trying to access these forums.

I can't stress how joyful I am to see we're still here and alive

Same thing happened to me, and likewise. (Edit: I do think that whether T2 is hoping to resume work on Kerbal games or sell off the brand, community is a big part of the sales pitch, so there's a good reason to keep the forums running, but you never know.)

Edited by K^2

11 hours ago, .50calBMG said:

I'd have to say I agree with you all as well, going through and reading these forums for updates on spaceflight while also getting a laugh or two (like when @sevenperforce calculated when you could pop some popcorn during an atlas v ascent with air friction) is a highlight of my day. You guys are all pretty awesome.

I completely forgot about that!

I love this forum and everybody here. Honestly it was a meaningful outlet for me during some rough times in my life. My time messing around on the KSP forums has seen me father several children, go through a nasty divorce, go through law school, get custody of my kids, become a licensed attorney, and get married to the love of my life. It's been quite a ride and the group of people here is really quite decent.

If anything ever happens to these forums, I am u/lawblawg on Reddit and @justlydeserved on TikTok.

Without being glib.

This place is truly a gem of eclectic insights.

Even though I logically know that KSP1 has a large enough active player base to justify the paltry expense of a dusty server somewhere... I still have a moment of panic every time I fail to connect to this forum.

@discord

Fizzlebop#4586

Edited by Fizzlebop Smith

i admit i spend more time on the science forum than i do actually playing the game. there are more purpose built science forums out there, but here i get to feel smart.

Edited by Nuke

I have never really thought about *why* I have gravitated to this place. I have a very broad and eclectic interest. Some areas a level of knowledge equal to many entry level professionals.. yet without credentials.. one or two unpopular opinions & a lack of credentials will often be used to end any discourse on the topic.

I have been to some of those other forums. I think the game establishes a common ground.. beyond amateur level enthusiasm on a forum full of professionals.

The folks here can elucidate without condescending. When discussing topics of interest is not the norm on this forum for one to feel patronized.

Yes. This place is magical.

1 hour ago, Nuke said:

i admit i spend more time on the science forum than i do actually playing the game. there are more purpose built science forums out there, but here i get to feel smart.

I was on the forums for ages before I even bought the game.

On 6/16/2024 at 9:43 PM, AckSed said:

not suffer blanket pedantry

That's really been the key.  

20 some odd years ago I was on BadAstronomy boards, where if you didn't have a Ph. D. in astrophysics or cosmology any question or misunderstanding garnered scorn (and those who had the sheepskins were practically required to cite sources or be prepared for a flame war). 

Reminds me of the first PM I got when I joined these boards - from @Snarktelling me about the culture and how to get along / be a contributing member.  His admonitions worked and, yeah, I love this place! 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.