Firespitter propeller plane and helicopter parts v7.1 (May 5th) for KSP 1.0

Snjo

Whenever I make a craft with landing gear floats they completely destroy the craft when opening and closing the gear by causing uncontrollable rolling and massive parts wobbling/moving/shaking. What have I done?! lol

I haven't seen that myself, but people reported similar issues with the boat parts. Turns out the changes to the joint system might mean I should reduce node strengths from near infinite to 200.

I updated the 6.3 pre-release with these new values. Try that and tell me if it helps.

Download

Looks like the new landing gear like to summon the Kraken. I'm trying to launch the CSS with them on (also using texture switcher for the cockpit and animation module for the payload bay) and it blows up during ascent. This is the first collision:

[Log]: CSSCrewCompartment collided into SwitchCollider - relative velocity: 178.3814 - no impact momentum (no RB)

The module is set up like that. Rear wheels are similar, but have steering and motors disabled.

MODULE
{
name = FSwheel
wheelColliderName = wheelCollider
boundsCollider = Bounds
wheelMeshName = Wheel
suspensionParentName = suspensionParent
rotationAdjustment = 1.0 // adjust the visual rotation speed of the wheel meshes if they are off
numberOfWheels = 1
animationName = nosegeardeploy
deploymentState = Retracted
disableColliderWhenRetracted = True
hasMotor = True
motorEnabled = True // set to false for landing gears to start unpowered.
motorTorque = 2
maxSpeed = 30 // the motorTorque is 1 at 0 speed, and 0 at this speed, meaning the actual max speed is probably way lower.

overrideModelFrictionValues = True

forwardsExtremumSlip = 0.01
forwardsExtremumValue = 1.0
forwardsAsymptoteSlip = 0.04
forwardsAsymptoteValue = 0.6
forwardsStiffness = 6000

sidewaysExtremumSlip = 0.01
sidewaysExtremumValue = 1.0
sidewaysAsymptoteSlip = 0.04
sidewaysAsymptoteValue = 0.6
sidewaysStiffness = 500

resourceConsumptionRate = 0.2
resourceName = ElectricCharge
//motorStartsReversed = True
brakeTorque = 15
brakeSpeed = 0.5
animationLayer = 1
deployedDrag = 0.2
retractedDrag = 0.0
guiActiveUnfocused = True
unfocusedRange = 5.0
onEmissiveColor = 1, 0.3, 0
offEmissiveColor = 0, 1, 0
deployingEmissiveColor = 1, 0, 0
disabledEmissiveColor = 0, 0, 0

useCustomParticleFX = True
smokeFXtextureName = Firespitter/textures/particle
startRetractEffect = gearRetract
startDeployEffect = gearRetract
}

MODULE
{
name = FSpartTurner
steerMultiplier = 20
targetPartObject = steerEmpty
rotationDirectionX = 0
rotationDirectionY = 0
rotationDirectionZ = 1
defaultRotationX = 0
defaultRotationY = 0
defaultRotationZ = 0
steeringEnabled = False
reversedInput = False
speedAdjustedSteering = True
speedAdjustedSteeringMinimumMultiplier = 0.1
}

The CSS gear was initially set up as a standard landing gear, but I just changed it to FS gears.

Edited by Guest

Looks like the new landing gear like to summon the Kraken. I'm trying to launch the CSS with them on (also using texture switcher for the cockpit and animation module for the payload bay) and it blows up during ascent. This is the first collision:

[Log]: CSSCrewCompartment collided into SwitchCollider - relative velocity: 178.3814 - no impact momentum (no RB)

The module is set up like that. Rear wheels are similar, but have steering and motors disabled.

The CSS gear was initially set up as a standard landing gear, but I just changed it to FS gears.

It would be more helpful to know what's in the Output_log.txt just before and during the Krakening.

Just a quick question for a helicopter are a pair of small winglets or carnads for pitch control good?

Not unless you have a very specific thing in mind. Aerodynamic surfaces have no authority when you are hovering or moving slowly, meaning you couldn't pitch controlled during take off and landing.

And if you do balance the thing for slow/no speed, when you get up to speed and the winglets kick in, you get a possibly altered performance.

If you do it correctly, it can probably give you a greater max speed before the vessel becomes a spinning death trap, compared to no winglets, but the road to that point might be tricky.

That's the worst thing. Nothing unusual.

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d3d49558e4d408f4/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 53)

Packing Space Shuttle-P6 Debris for orbit

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d3d49558e4d408f4/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 53)

CSSCrewCompartment collided into SwitchCollider - relative velocity: 187.1234 - no impact momentum (no RB)

CSSCrewCompartment Exploded!! - blast awesomeness: 0.5

[strutConnector]: Deactivated

Before, it's just a standard message about packing the launch clamps for orbit (and it's been there some time before the Kraken struck). After, it's the usual set of messages about the Shuttle collapsing on itself, struts and crew being killed, the works. There's one more collision with SwitchCollider after the crew is killed, the rest is actual parts crashing into themselves.

Per pages 73 and 74 of the HotRockets thread, the propeller spinner module only supports ModuleEngines, not ModuleEnginesFX. Any way you could do up a wrapper? You probably need to add only a couple more fields to the wrapper I use in RF.

Per pages 73 and 74 of the HotRockets thread, the propeller spinner module only supports ModuleEngines, not ModuleEnginesFX. Any way you could do up a wrapper? You probably need to add only a couple more fields to the wrapper I use in RF.

Maybe I can just cast to ModuleEngines. I assume the FX version has all the objects of a regular engine.

New version

Since curseforge is now up and running, I threw the new version up there. I was planning on adding more stuff first, but I couldn't just add the old one there :)

Download

v6.3

-Oblong round noses, short and long

-Oblong to 0.625m adapter

-Helicopter landing pads by Justin Kerbice

-Warning message on the Main Menu if you are using an incompatible KSP version

-W.I.P. turboprop engine. This will see changes to performance, sound and looks

-FSengineSounds: Implemented disengage, running, flameout sounds, fixed bugs.

-FSwing: Made leading edge action name cfg editable for use in extending flaps etc.

-FSwheel: supports altering retract animation speed in cfg

-FSslowtato: key/action group based rotator module

-FSmeshSwitch: swap meshes instead of textures for better memory conservation

I made some slight alterations to the license text to close a loophole. I used to say that you may reuse any part of the mod, but not redistribute the whole pack. That would mean you could remove a single file and still be in the clear.

The new license states that code and textures may be reused freely, but models may only be reused with permission.

Any pre-existing mods are of course unaffected by this change, and I will not be more restrictive. Ask and you will get permission. I just need to have the ability to deny weird alternate sites from redistributing if it were ever an issue. (I know there is that weird russian site, and I don't really care, but you know...)

The new license now reads:

You may reuse code and textures from this mod, as long as you give credit in the download file and on the download post/page. Reuse of models with permission. No reselling. No redistribution of the whole pack without permission. UV map texture guides are included so you can re-skin to your liking.

For reuse of the plugin, please either direct people to download the dll from my official release, OR recompile the wanted partmodule/class with a new class name to avoid conflicts. For modders re-using the dll directly, you MUST place it in the Firespitter folder in your zip file, so people don't end up with two copies of the dll. The right path is: [KSP_OS]\GameData\Firespitter\Plugins\

Could you make a separate minimod with only electric powered propellers? Kudos for your great mod, but i rarely use other parts beside the electric propeller, and i don't like to clutter my game with unnecessary parts.

You can delete all or some part folders in the Parts sub-folder. Nothing bad will come of it. It would be a nightmare maintaining several versions of the mod for different use cases.

You can delete all or some part folders in the Parts sub-folder. Nothing bad will come of it. It would be a nightmare maintaining several versions of the mod for different use cases.

Thank you!. I left helicopter parts also, because i like to tinker with them and KAS, for cheap vtol cargo lifting.

But biplanes are too retro for me :)

I accidentally deleted my old Firespitter mod file, so I got the new one instead, yet the newer version did not come with the biplane pack. Is there another way I can get the biplane pack separately without having to completely re-download Firespitter?

I accidentally deleted my old Firespitter mod file, so I got the new one instead, yet the newer version did not come with the biplane pack. Is there another way I can get the biplane pack separately without having to completely re-download Firespitter?

No, it's still in there. I didn't remove anything.

v6.3

-FSwing: Made leading edge action name cfg editable for use in extending flaps etc.

-FSmeshSwitch: swap meshes instead of textures for better memory conservation

I think I love you. The meshswitch was on my "dream" list. And the FSwing fix will keep people from being too confused. If you can add a variable to increase wing width with your leading edge code, I'll give you my first born.

Basically, this means my B9 work was just re-prioritized. Now I can de-bloat the catalog fully...3 versions of the same S2W tank become one...

----------

or not...

Please tell me where I went wrong here:

MODULE

{

name = FSmeshSwitch

channel = 0

isController = true

objects

{

name = B9_Aerospace/Parts/Aero_Wing_ControlSurface/SE_1m

name = B9_Aerospace/Parts/Aero_Wing_ControlSurface/SH_1m

name = B9_Aerospace/Parts/Aero_Wing_ControlSurface/T_1m

}

}

Edited by PolecatEZ

I think I love you. The meshswitch was on my "dream" list. And the FSwing fix will keep people from being too confused. If you can add a variable to increase wing width with your leading edge code, I'll give you my first born.

Basically, this means my B9 work was just re-prioritized. Now I can de-bloat the catalog fully...3 versions of the same S2W tank become one...

----------

or not...

Please tell me where I went wrong here:

Yeah, I decided to make life easier by scrapping the insane node style which required a restart of KSP each time. Why I never thought to parse a string instead is beyond me.

So the format now is:

MODULE

{

name = FSmeshSwitch

buttonName = Next part variant

objects = redtank;bluetank;sillytank

channel = 0 // not implemented yet

isController = true // not implemented yet

}

note that the object name separator is a semicolon with no spaces

the unimplemented stuff is for multiple switchables on a part, some paired together in a master/slave setup. bac9 also asked for altering stuff like fuel values etc. That may happen, but not immediately.

In other news the PROpeller prototype in Unity is working well:

qIgccW9.gif

No, it's still in there. I didn't remove anything.

I looked closer into the file, the biplane pack was in there yet when I play in-game I do not have the biplane parts.. Do you know why it did that? The only other mod I have installed is Hanger Extender.

*update 4* Ok, got it all fingered out. Now just to find a cool use for it. Starting all the way in Blender, you need to make sure no "_" are ever used.

Edited by PolecatEZ

Wait, you mean we'll be able to actually have a propeller that does that? Where we can choose 2 to 8 blades, longer or shorter blades, and more "cylinder" sections? If so, that's going to be Awesome! Even without, it shows that it's made it easier to make cool props.

Wait, you mean we'll be able to actually have a propeller that does that? Where we can choose 2 to 8 blades, longer or shorter blades, and more "cylinder" sections? If so, that's going to be Awesome! Even without, it shows that it's made it easier to make cool props.

It means just that. The sliders in the image represent tweakables in the hangar.

More or larger blades means more blade lift, but also more drag. If you have a weak engine, it might not support super high RPM with too much blade action. By extending the engine, you increase the RPM production, countering drag loss. And since there is a max usable blade speed, you can't just make a small two blade propeller go infinitely fast with a massive engine.

These are all concepts that are already working in the helicopter engine prototype, where each blade has a small wing module on it that produces lift based on rotational speed, blade length and surface area, and pitch. Now it's just a question of putting these two things together, and adding in fuel consumption.

edit:

*update 4* Ok, got it all fingered out. Now just to find a cool use for it. Starting all the way in Blender, you need to make sure no "_" are ever used.

Actually, periods are the problem, they get converted to underscores without you noticing. As long as you know the new name of the renamed object, you are OK.

Edited by Snjo

I looked closer into the file, the biplane pack was in there yet when I play in-game I do not have the biplane parts.. Do you know why it did that? The only other mod I have installed is Hanger Extender.

If there was an error in a part that made the game freak out during the initial loading of parts, all subsequent parts might not be loaded, but I don't see that error in my own game. I assume you are using KSP 0.23.5.

I'm stoked by the procedural props - they may well be the first procedural engine in the game.

You mentioned different engines - I know this is an idea DYJ and TouhouTorpedo have had for a long time, where an engine produces a torque resource which is then used by a prop, wheel or whatever. I like the possibilities this introduces for an earlier, more incremental, in-atmosphere career progression.

Edit: now I'm thinking about relationship of torque and RPM, and how you'd model it this way without getting too complicated...

Edited by colmo

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.