Firespitter propeller plane and helicopter parts v7.1 (May 5th) for KSP 1.0

Snjo

I got an idea to add more or less easily swept wings:

using a similar module as FSAirBrake to do almost the same thing as airbrake, but in the opposite way, I mean starting drag would be higher, then decrease with angle (ex: from 5 to 2), + rotation will just be on y axis.

And two questions:

- could it be possible to use FSAirBrake module and keep animated models' constraints, ie: if I made an hydraulic cylinder, it should rotate with airbrake angle but stay attached on both sides by its axles and extend itself, I didn't try this yet and just wish to know what is your thought on this.

I don't quite get your explanation, but the module just rotates a gameObject based on cfg values, and at the same time alters the part drag. It's very simplistic. In the latest dll version I also made sure it works even if the rotator object is absent.

- do you think Electric propellers may work on Duna atmosphere ? They don't really need oxygen to work as jet engines and blades should be able to produce lift at least for a few 100s meters but because the way KSP is designed, it doesn't work :( (no oxygen = vacuum despite atmosphere is there, with atmospherecurve of engine)

Thanks.

It always worked before. If it doesn't, someone did something stupid with the stock code after 0.18.

I don't quite get your explanation, but the module just rotates a gameObject based on cfg values, and at the same time alters the part drag. It's very simplistic. In the latest dll version I also made sure it works even if the rotator object is absent.

I know it's very simple, but I don't know yet how playing with transform through code deal with animation constraints defined for the model(s).

I'll try to find some time later to do some experiment myself :).

It always worked before. If it doesn't, someone did something stupid with the stock code after 0.18.

in 0.23.5 with and without StockDragFix (the only aero modifier I have installed there), the FS2ME have a rpm of 300 (even set to a higher value, it is lost outside the VAB/SPH), 0 kN produced at the ground level.

The FS1PRRO (not all params to max, 6 large blades) => 600 rpm, 0.7509141 kN of thrust (after some time), intakeAir flow change from a steady 0.18 to regulary something like 0.03 for less than a second in the same condition as before (both test ship a few dozens m away from each other).

in 0.23.5 with and without StockDragFix (the only aero modifier I have installed there), the FS2ME have a rpm of 300 (even set to a higher value, it is lost outside the VAB/SPH), 0 kN produced at the ground level.

The FS1PRRO (not all params to max, 6 large blades) => 600 rpm, 0.7509141 kN of thrust (after some time), intakeAir flow change from a steady 0.18 to regulary something like 0.03 for less than a second in the same condition as before (both test ship a few dozens m away from each other).

And that's on Duna?

I was using the fighter tail landing gear as a jet nose wheel for carrier landings. However, I found it too soft - could you make the suspension on gear tweakable, maybe with a few presets?

Also, the motor in that gear doesn't respond to throttle, it just causes my jet to hare off towards the edge of the deck while I frantically scrabble for the brakes.

This was in v7 pre2. Love the gear alignment tool, wish we could rotate by 1 degree increments.

Suggestion: Add Klaw code to the helicopter landing skids, so that when it comes to rest on another vehicle, it can dock to it and thus not slide off. The bond doesn't have to be very strong, it should be the first thing to give in a collision. It would also mean we could do fun Hollywood style stunts with Kerbals hanging off the skids.

This could work for regular landing gear, though you need to be able to disengage all at the same time to prevent clipping through the deck.

Edited by colmo

All wheels respond to the Rover axis, which default to W/S, not the throttle. Also make sure the wheel motor is on.

Doh, of course. Thing is, when I turned on the motor, the plane would start accelerating quite quickly, with no input from me. This may be unique to use on top of other vehicles?

Excellent!

Doh, of course. Thing is, when I turned on the motor, the plane would start accelerating quite quickly, with no input from me. This may be unique to use on top of other vehicles?

Maybe you had trim on. If you trim pitch, it will also trim the rover axis ... I think.

hi Snjo

how would can I handle texture switch between multiple mod folders? I saw textureSwitcher2 has setting for mod folder path; I'm looking at shared textures between Mod A and B. Would it be best to handle that with multiple textureSwitcher modules?

thanks!

hi Snjo

how would can I handle texture switch between multiple mod folders? I saw textureSwitcher2 has setting for mod folder path; I'm looking at shared textures between Mod A and B. Would it be best to handle that with multiple textureSwitcher modules?

thanks!

If you are using textures from multiple folders in a single module, you just need to give each value a fully defined path, leaving the textureRootFolder as the lowest common denominator. Multiple modules for the same gameObjects wouldn't do you any good, they would just override each other on load.

from the docs

// Optional: this text will be added to each the start of each entry in the textureNames and mapNames lists to make them neater. If you have textures in different folder, this value should be the lowest common folder. Each entry is treated like textureRootFolder + textureNames

textureRootFolder = MyMod/Parts/MyPart/

// a list of textures, matching their names in the GameDatabase

textureNames =green;red

Remember the slashes! The end concatenated result has to read as a proper path/file name (no extension)

Edited by Snjo

Hi snjo, any update on the "Duna case" ? Thanks.

I haven't had time to create any tests yet, I've just looked at my code and scratched my head, I can't see any issues...

Is hyperedit the best way to get to Duna? I've never used it.

I haven't had time to create any tests yet, I've just looked at my code and scratched my head, I can't see any issues...

Is hyperedit the best way to get to Duna? I've never used it.

I guess yes, there is also Extra Planetary Launchpad, with it you can "hyperedit" a base launchpad and drop it on Duna surface, so you can spawn rotor based vessel directly on surface. I found HE lander quite a bit strange to use (1st time vessel is not released, a second click land it but there is no help and you have to know very well your body geography to succeed to have a safe spawning + landing) or you can just add some chutes and drop it from a high enough altitude (~20 km).

If you are using textures from multiple folders in a single module, you just need to give each value a fully defined path, leaving the textureRootFolder as the lowest common denominator. Multiple modules for the same gameObjects wouldn't do you any good, they would just override each other on load.

so basically something like this?

textureNames = Gamedata/ModA/PartA/textureA;Gamedata/ModB/PartB/textureB

so basically something like this?

textureNames = Gamedata/ModA/PartA/textureA;Gamedata/ModB/PartB/textureB

Yes, but skip the "Gamedata/" portion. All game database objects are already in gamadata, so it wouldn't be able to find it if it looked for a gamadata sub folder inside itself.

Is there any work being done to aid in flying the helicopters?

Quite frankly now, they are impossible to fly and don't hover well. Even just raising it 5m off the ground to hover using the stock Apache will get wonky and flip over. It starts with a roll to either direction and just continues over.

Is there any work being done to aid in flying the helicopters?

Quite frankly now, they are impossible to fly and don't hover well. Even just raising it 5m off the ground to hover using the stock Apache will get wonky and flip over. It starts with a roll to either direction and just continues over.

Maybe its related to the way choppers work? having choppers in KSP work like in real life IS difficult, but possible, as KSP threats the atmosphere as a gas substance, just like how it works in real life, making a good simulation of choppers possible.

Of course, the "controlling" part of flying a chopper may be way more difficult even.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.