Firespitter propeller plane and helicopter parts v7.1 (May 5th) for KSP 1.0

Snjo

Just playing with the new KSOS Kerbostar using the Firespitter hover toggle (v6.3.4). How is altitude determined, over terrain or sea level? Whenever I fly over the VAB or other buildings at KSC, it immediately ascends, suggesting altitude is relative to terrain.

It's probably worth introducing a toggle to allow altitude to be calculated from terrain height, for long distance trips in warp, and from sea level, for precision landing. I find I prefer doing it old school anyway :-)

Edited by colmo

Just playing with the new KSOS Kerbostar using the Firespitter hover toggle (v6.3.4). How is altitude determined, over terrain or sea level? Whenever I fly over the VAB or other buildings at KSC, it immediately ascends, suggesting altitude is relative to terrain.

It's probably worth introducing a toggle to allow altitude to be calculated from terrain height, for long distance trips in warp, and from sea level, for precision landing. I find I prefer doing it old school anyway :-)

It's using using the height above the PQS terrain, unless that's below sea level. You could disable the hover function in the FScopterThrottle, and add another hover module. It's a bit confusing, because there have been many attempts, but:

-FSengineHover is speed based, meaning you set a desired vertical speed weith Pgup/Dn, zero with Home, and toggle with End. It was made for a jetpack

-FShoverThrottle was made for an air boat, and uses raycast while over land to keep a precise, predefined altitude above the nearest collider.

-FSengineBladed has its own sea level altitude based hover, using shift/ctrl to go up/down. (For the v7 helis)

That last version is the best candidate for replacing the old code with, since it's easy to use and versatile.

Since 0.24.2 I'm not getting any menus for firespitter enabled parts like the mk2 cargo bay with SP+, either in game or in the hangar/VAB. I'm running the latest version of FS but the problem still exists. This is on the x64 version of KSP btw.

Swiveling helicopter gear is doing some really strange things when FAR is installed.

The gear appears normal in the editor, and also initially when loaded up upon entering flight mode, but becomes visually borked just before the craft is released to fall to the surface.

The problem appears to be purely cosmetic, thankfully. Rolling on the surface, the hub remains stationary and the tire portion visually clips through the ground, but otherwise physically behaves as if it were circular.

Here's an example wit the example apache craft:

heliweird.jpg

This is with latest Firespitter (6.4.3) and FAR (0.14.1.1) on KSP 0.24.2 on Windows, 32bit. Reproduced this problem on a clean KSP install with no other mods (besides ModuleManager included with FAR)

Removing FAR resolves the issue, so it's definitely the interaction between the two.

Log (from start of flight mode) http://pastebin.com/6ENW0LBX

Snjo: I have a question about a particular thing I trying to track down with the firespitter plugin that is bundled with the KSOS mod. For the FSwheel module, I keep getting an error "[ERROR] Wheelcollider requires an attached RigidBody to function" and whenever this error pops up it toggles the FSwheel: reversemotorset function as

dN5si21.png
. This error appears to happen upon launch. This sometimes causes the wheel motors to be reversed on one side of the vehicle while the other side is not. Then I get a vehicle that fights itself and struggles to move. Other times all the wheel motors end up becoming reversed. Is this because of the FSwheel module or is it a unity problem?
Edited by qnistNAMEERF

Since 0.24.2 I'm not getting any menus for firespitter enabled parts like the mk2 cargo bay with SP+, either in game or in the hangar/VAB. I'm running the latest version of FS but the problem still exists. This is on the x64 version of KSP btw.

I think that error has to be solved by the Squad devs. They did make some fixes to improve the right click menu, but some stuff is still off. If it works in x86, but not in x64, I don't know what I can do about that. If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears.

Snjo: I have a question about a particular thing I trying to track down with the firespitter plugin that is bundled with the KSOS mod. For the FSwheel module, I keep getting an error "[ERROR] Wheelcollider requires an attached RigidBody to function" and whenever this error pops up it toggles the FSwheel: reversemotorset function as
http://i.imgur.com/dN5si21.png
. This error appears to happen upon launch. This sometimes causes the wheel motors to be reversed on one side of the vehicle while the other side is not. Then I get a vehicle that fights itself and struggles to move. Other times all the wheel motors end up becoming reversed. Is this because of the FSwheel module or is it a unity problem?

The rigidbody message is just a Unity warning due to the order KSP creates the components of each part, it's always been there and not a problem. The reversing thing is something I though I had fixed a long time ago though. If you can post some steps to reproduce, or a save or craft file where the error is consistent, maybe I can hunt down any remaining bugs with it.

Swiveling helicopter gear is doing some really strange things when FAR is installed.

The gear appears normal in the editor' date=' and also initially when loaded up upon entering flight mode, but becomes visually borked just before the craft is released to fall to the surface.

The problem appears to be purely cosmetic, thankfully. Rolling on the surface, the hub remains stationary and the tire portion visually clips through the ground, but otherwise physically behaves as if it were circular.

Here's an example wit the example apache craft:

[url']http://s1.postimg.org/ywjqubehr/heliweird.jpg

This is with latest Firespitter (6.4.3) and FAR (0.14.1.1) on KSP 0.24.2 on Windows, 32bit. Reproduced this problem on a clean KSP install with no other mods (besides ModuleManager included with FAR)

Removing FAR resolves the issue, so it's definitely the interaction between the two.

Log (from start of flight mode) http://pastebin.com/6ENW0LBX

I think I have fixed the issues with the squashed meshes in the swiveling gear, but maybe I forgot to include that new model file in the released version. You can try replacing the .mu with this one and see it it goes away.

The rigidbody message is just a Unity warning due to the order KSP creates the components of each part, it's always been there and not a problem. The reversing thing is something I though I had fixed a long time ago though. If you can post some steps to reproduce, or a save or craft file where the error is consistent, maybe I can hunt down any remaining bugs with it.

Here's a craft file of the rover from KSOS with a stock lander. You will need at least pack 4 from the KSOS mod to load it. Launch from VAB, do nothing but zoom in to the rover and try driving. This one consistently reverses the left side wheels while the right side stay forward. Errors show up in the debug menu as well.

I think I have fixed the issues with the squashed meshes in the swiveling gear, but maybe I forgot to include that new model file in the released version. You can try replacing the .mu with this one and see it it goes away.

Yes, that fixes the problem, so you probably did forget to include the change in release. =)

Many thanks!

Hey does anyone know how the FSfuelswitch gets along with modularfuels, it seems to work but when I launch the tanks switch back to there default and I am not exactly sure whats causing it so I thought I would ask if they typically get along ok together?

Hey guys I have a problem, I built my first plane using all firespitter parts and my turboprops spin, sound and provide thrust, but no control surfaces work! I have them enabled in the editor and tried all tweaks, but they're all stable ._.

I already reinstalled the mod but it didn't fix the problem. Any ideas? I am using NEAR

I had the same. Rolling back to v6.3.3 fixed it for me.

Spotted a parts cost balance issue:

Bomber Fuselage:

Cost: 3000 Kerbucks when full; 2600 Kerbucks when emptied using tweakables

Bomber Fuselage (Empty):

Cost: 1000 Kerbucks when filled using tweakables; 600 Kerbucks when emptied

KSP 0.24.2, FS 6.3.4.

I guess this is probably due to changes in how KSP handles costs, because I could have sworn I checked those numbers before a few months ago and they made sense.

(Edit: yes, likely be the new procedural cost in 0.24.1+)

Actually at this point I figure you could just deprecate the empty fuselage since the stock game has tweakables now.

Edited by cake>pie

Hello, can someone help me out? When I installed the mod I realised that none of the propellers work properly. They all provide thrust but no animation or sound occurs and the rotor blades always have the blurred effect around them, even in the VAB.

Spotted a parts cost balance issue:

Bomber Fuselage:

Cost: 3000 Kerbucks when full; 2600 Kerbucks when emptied using tweakables

Bomber Fuselage (Empty):

Cost: 1000 Kerbucks when filled using tweakables; 600 Kerbucks when emptied

KSP 0.24.2' date=' FS 6.3.4.

I guess this is probably due to changes in how KSP handles costs, because I could have sworn I checked those numbers before a few months ago and they made sense.

(Edit: yes, likely be the new procedural cost in 0.24.1+)

Actually at this point I figure you could just deprecate the empty fuselage since the stock game has tweakables now.[/quote']

Good point, will do that.

Hello, can someone help me out? When I installed the mod I realised that none of the propellers work properly. They all provide thrust but no animation or sound occurs and the rotor blades always have the blurred effect around them, even in the VAB.

Troubleshooting:

Q: I have no engine sounds, but the propellers spin

A: You placed the folder in the wrong place or renamed it.

Q: The propellers don't spin, but they provide thrust

A: You somehow installed without the dll file, so only stock code is running.

Q: I get sent to outer space when I launch a plane with an electrical engine

A: You are using and old version KSP Interstellar or some other mod that is conflicting with my code.

Firespitter code does not interfere with anything outside its own parts, so the fault here is usually with the other mod reaching into all parts and doing crazy stuff.

Q: Everything is broken and I am sad

A: Make sure you use the latest version of KSP and Firespitter. Do not post support questions on the spaceport, no one reads it. Use the forum if installing correctly didn't work. Keep in mind that lots of people are using the mod successfully, so unless it's a new bug introduced in the latest FS version, you probably messed up the install.

I was about to say much the same thing as Snjo. It sounds like you installed Firespitter in the wrong location. NathanKell has also provided general mod installation instructions in the How to Get Support sticky. It also tells you where to find the information you'd need to provide in order to get support.

Minor update, 6.3.5

Download from kerbalstuff

-Plugin update for compatibility with various mods like B9

-Some minor fixes to prices in cfgs (still work to do on that stuff)

-Removed unneeded pngs, and optimized others.

-Features from v7 has snuck their way in, like multi tank, the PROpeller and the new rotor

It's possible I borked some stuff due to crazy versioning, let me know if I made something totally unusable.

Edited by Snjo

@snjo: using FStextureSwitch2 (FS version: 7.0.5283.33887) with a config like this:

objectNames = delawing

textureRootFolder = Kerbice Group\Parts\Wings\

textureNames = deltaw-diffuse;deltaw-diffuse-bw;deltaw-diffuse-ry;deltaw-diffuse-KN

mapNames = dwing-emissive;null-emissive;null-emissive;null-emissive

mapIsNormal = False

Make the dwing-emissive map use for all tex in the set, null-emissive tex (a 2x2 black tex) is loaded but in log there is only these kind of info:

FStextureSwitch2 found 4 textures, using number 0, found 1 objects, 4 maps

assigning texture: Kerbice Group/Parts/Wings/deltaw-diffuse

maplist count: 4, selectedTexture: 0, texlist Count: 4

map exists in db

not setting currentTextureName. selectedTexture is 0, texDispList count is1, texList count is 4

Which are not very helpful.

Could it be possible to add more useful debug messages ? (map use at least)

cause here, we can't see which map is used with which tex and 'map exists in db' is as useful as 'Parsing string/bool/int' from stock game !

@snjo: using FStextureSwitch2 (FS version: 7.0.5283.33887) with a config like this:

Make the dwing-emissive map use for all tex in the set, null-emissive tex (a 2x2 black tex) is loaded but in log there is only these kind of info:

Which are not very helpful.

Could it be possible to add more useful debug messages ? (map use at least)

cause here, we can't see which map is used with which tex and 'map exists in db' is as useful as 'Parsing string/bool/int' from stock game !

Remember to set the additionalMapType. The default is "_BumpMap", which is not correct in your case.

Added map name in the "exists in db" line, and a similar statement if it's missing. DLL

Hi,

we´ve been having problems with B9 and MKS Logistics compatibility and I´ve hunted down the problem to the FSfuelSwitch partmodule.

The issue: mks logistics sends stuff from one ship to another and changes the others resource node if it is on rails. FSfuelSwitch however ignores the resource node when the craft goes active and overwrites it with a value it saved in its own node. Would it be possible for you guys to not do that? The way it is now it breaks compatibility to any plugin that does anything with on rails resources and will lead to very strange and hard to find bugs.

Hi,

we´ve been having problems with B9 and MKS Logistics compatibility and I´ve hunted down the problem to the FSfuelSwitch partmodule.

The issue: mks logistics sends stuff from one ship to another and changes the others resource node if it is on rails. FSfuelSwitch however ignores the resource node when the craft goes active and overwrites it with a value it saved in its own node. Would it be possible for you guys to not do that? The way it is now it breaks compatibility to any plugin that does anything with on rails resources and will lead to very strange and hard to find bugs.

Not really, no. I can't help if other mods reach into my parts and assume some things to be true or not. If that code looked at the current state of the part's resources instead of the stuff stored in the cfg's nodes, I assume it would not be an issue.

Remember to set the additionalMapType. The default is "_BumpMap", which is not correct in your case.

Added map name in the "exists in db" line, and a similar statement if it's missing. DLL

Thanks a lot, I have missed this one !!

By the way, to get the right name for material/shader:

in Unity editor itself, assets->PartTools->Shaders, properties (may be on the right side): "<name> Texture: <the name here>", is the one to use.

(in my case I have: _Emissive Texture: _Emissive), both before and after "Texture:" seems to always be the same so any of them could be use.

This should be added to your google document (maybe just the list, as it will not change soon enough I guess)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.