What is this engine????

RoninFrog

2nZSbQ6.jpg

I'm playing stock KSP.  I filtered by tech level 6 and saw this weird looking twitch engine in the parts list.  It's got almost exactly the same stats except slightly more mass and slightly worse atmospheric efficiency.  What's up with that??

Yeah that's the old Twitch! It got a replaced a while back... and looking at the wiki, it seems like they adjusted the stats as well at the same time. More than likely it's still there for backwards compatibility reasons - anything that was changed post 1.0 that was substantial enough to warrant a whole new part rather than just a reskin has the old version still around so you can still load old saves with those in use without issues. The same is true of the old Mk1-2 command pod and probably a few others.

Obviously you can't normally see them... but I think they've just been removed from the default categories. When you use the filters, they filter through all parts, new and old.

Edited by GluttonyReaper

4 hours ago, GluttonyReaper said:

old Mk1-2 command pod

Hold right there. They, in fact, do not. Despite still existing in game files (and still usable with enough game file editing), if you load a craft with this part, it will not load.  It will say the part does not exist or it can’t load.

10 hours ago, Mr. Kerbin said:

Hold right there. They, in fact, do not. Despite still existing in game files (and still usable with enough game file editing), if you load a craft with this part, it will not load.  It will say the part does not exist or it can’t load.

While the Mk 1-2 Command Pod isn't in the parts list, the old Mk2 Lander can actually is.  Wild stuff

8aZej1s.jpg

24 minutes ago, RoninFrog said:

Mk 1-2 Command Pod isn't in the parts list, the old Mk2 Lander can actually is

Exactly.  But why??? Who knows! It was quite odd when I found it.

8 hours ago, Mr. Kerbin said:

Exactly.  But why??? Who knows! It was quite odd when I found it.

Huh. That is weird... the Mk1-2 in particular was part of the first batch of (rocket) revamp parts, and looking at the changelog they were apparently intended to be deprecated at some point. I wonder if any of the other parts replaced in that update (the old decouplers, fuel tanks, etc.) survived?

3 hours ago, GluttonyReaper said:

Huh. That is weird... the Mk1-2 in particular was part of the first batch of (rocket) revamp parts, and looking at the changelog they were apparently intended to be deprecated at some point. I wonder if any of the other parts replaced in that update (the old decouplers, fuel tanks, etc.) survived.

If you look at GameData > Squad > zDeprecated > Parts > Command, you can see the old MK1-2 pods' files.

You can also find the other removed parts there.

On 10/2/2024 at 2:56 PM, Mr. Kerbin said:

I think that's the old twitch model

On 10/3/2024 at 2:38 AM, GluttonyReaper said:

Yeah that's the old Twitch!

@Iapetus7342 perhaps read the posts above you first.

On 10/3/2024 at 6:55 AM, Mr. Kerbin said:

Despite still existing in game files (and still usable with enough game file editing), if you load a craft with this part, it will not load.  It will say the part does not exist or it can’t load.

18 hours ago, RoninFrog said:

While the Mk 1-2 Command Pod isn't in the parts list, the old Mk2 Lander can actually is

Edited by Mr. Kerbin

Just now, Iapetus7342 said:

This is why i said "Very late to this" at the start of my post.

Oh, okay.

Spoiler
32 minutes ago, Iapetus7342 said:

find the old MK1, MK1-3

you can't

To avoid further potential conflict, here's the full list of old parts I could find through filters:

• Mk2 Lander can
  • Twitch engine
  • Illuminator Mk1 and Mk2 (no color settings)
  • Twin boar (no flag)
  • Probodobodyne HECS
  • HG-5 Antenna (rotated)

I don't believe there are any other old parts still included in the VAB/SPH.  I also tried loading an old version of the Mk1-3 pod I downloaded off an old KerbalX craft and all the old parts that still loaded reverted to new versions.

Hi all.

I once noticed after the MK1 command pod was changed that the old one was still available with a search.

The reason I found at the time for that was that the training scenarios still used the old one.

The old ships still had to load for them to run.

Perhaps by looking at the scenarios we would find one that uses the old twitch.

ME

On 10/2/2024 at 10:46 PM, RoninFrog said:

What is this engine????

Crap! :D

Just kidding. It's useful in exceedingly rare circumstances. You've found the old version of the engine, kept in the game and hidden so that the approx. 2 craft that used it still load in and work.

I remember in older versions, you could even find the part used for naturally generated asteroids hidden in the advanced parts list.

8 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

Crap! :D

Just kidding. It's useful in exceedingly rare circumstances. You've found the old version of the engine, kept in the game and hidden so that the approx. 2 craft that used it still load in and work.

I remember in older versions, you could even find the part used for naturally generated asteroids hidden in the advanced parts list.

Yeah, I was helping a friend on the console edition of KSP (1.10 iirc) and was kind of freaked out at that placeholder asteroid thing. The friend has thankfully since moved to PC edition but it's a weird thing to keep around in the editor.