[1.12.x] Kerbal Alarm Clock v3.13.0.0 (April 10)

TriggerAu

I used to (last version even) have the mod installed in \ksp\gamedata\kerbalalarmclock\gamedata\triggertech\...etc and it worked fine for multiple versions. It had 2 advantages:

1) It was the structure in the zip file.

2) Looking in the gamedata folder, I could instantly see that KAC was installed and didn't have look into a dozen random folders because (no offense) I'm never going to remember who made what mod.

I don't mind that now I have to install it in the \ksp\gamedata\triggertech\ folder (many other mods have this restriction) so I'm not reporting this as a bug or anything. However I suspect that others may have this problem.

So is this a KSP bug or a mod bug with this pathing change? Im seeing it on several mods which is really annoying for exactly like you stated, version and mod tracking.

So is this a KSP bug or a mod bug with this pathing change? Im seeing it on several mods which is really annoying for exactly like you stated, version and mod tracking.

In the case of the textures breaking for the KAC it is a combination of a code change and the instructions for install - https://sites.google.com/site/kerbalalarmclock/installation . If you follow those instructions for KAC it will not have texture issues as seen here. If you didnt follow those instructions before 2.7.0.0 it would still have worked. The Texture issues dont seem to surface until modders begin to use the Gamedatabase objects which use absolute paths from the Gamedata folder.

IMO, In the bigger picture there is still a gap around a standard for packaging a mod in the zip file. There was one posted a long time ago, but that was before the changes to the GameData folder and the loading changes, and after that we ended up with (I think) two zip structures, but no "approved" structure from an official post. That said, this is modding so everyone has an opinion, and a way they like to work.

Personally I'd be happy to use whatever is good for everyone, and I might attempt to start a discussion in the modder forum about it and see if we cant get some consensus.

Trigger was too diplomatic to say it, but it's neither a KSP bug nor a mod bug, it's a PEBKAC error caused by improper mod installation, usually caused by either renaming a folder that is not to be renamed, or moving a folder someplace other than exactly where it belongs. To move a mod to a different (or differently named) folder properly, you must edit all the config files that reference the old path so that they now point to the new one, and recompile any plugins that reference other files by path. Simply moving the files without editing and/or recompiling might not work (it will work if and only if the mod contains no such path references in any of its config files or code -- this used to be common but is becoming less so as mod authors become more conscious of memory issues and write mods that reuse textures and other resources).

Edited by Gaius

There will always be mistaken installs, I'm not discounting that, but the variations in zip structure do make it harder for people to install every mod correctly. And the Texture stuff is coding in dlls in my stuff, so nothing a player can adjust.

Can't wait for a standard + spaceport integration, but who knows where that is in the Squad timeline

It changed when I upgraded KAC, not when I upgraded KSP. I played for several days with 0.23 KSP and the older KAC. It was not until I upgraded KAC that the problem occurred.

Trigger was too diplomatic to say it, but it's neither a KSP bug nor a mod bug, it's a PEBKAC error caused by improper mod installation.

I'm so glad that at least one of you is ... how shall I put it? Non-diplomatic.

I understood exactly what happened and why, which is why I was able to explain it so clearly. The problem (in my case) was not the brush that you so lavishly painted everybody with. I wanted something the mod did not provide by default and was happy that my mod to it worked. Now that it doesn't work, noted it.

I was also trying to help others who may have been in my situation without the experience that I happen to have with modding, and who may be confused with why this mod (which they installed in a perfectly reasonable way based on the zip file structure of this compared to other mods) stopped working suddenly. As had been reported just above my post.

But the way you put it was just fine. That helped too.

Well that's a little challenging. I had thought that a Triggertech folder with all my mods in it makes sense as that's sort of the way the squad folder works and I can share resources (textures/sounds) between mods without adding to the memory footprint too much, but the difficulty of seeing a single folder per mod is a definite concern (and that is just the way my brain worked :) ). And I seem to be one of the few people still using that old folder structure.

Might be time for a rethink in folders and ZIP structure. Maybe

TriggerTech (for shared Stuff)

TriggerTech-KAC (for the clock)

TriggerTech-KSPARP (for the resource panel), etc

I'm actually thinking of a major rework for the KAC v3 as it has some duplicate code and some other restrictions that no longer need to be applied now that System.IO is allowed. Oh and I'm, stumped on a couple of requests due to save format. Sounds like a small project over Christmas/Jan :wink:

I always like my mods to have the Mod name as the root folder. Then my folder list looks like

Kerbal Alarm Clock

Mechjeb

Stretchy Tanks

Procedural Fairings

Squad

Rcs Build helper

Instead of

Triggertech

Keramzit

I^3

Squad

Innaswerts (sp?)

I`m sure you can see why one is better. This is something I am promoting forum wide in the hope it may get adopted.

I always like my mods to have the Mod name as the root folder. Then my folder list looks like

Kerbal Alarm Clock

Mechjeb

Stretchy Tanks

Procedural Fairings

Squad

Rcs Build helper

Instead of

Triggertech

Keramzit

I^3

Squad

Innaswerts (sp?)

I`m sure you can see why one is better. This is something I am promoting forum wide in the hope it may get adopted.

I think being able to see the name of each mod is useful too, but it does make it hard for a dev who wants to use common textures/sounds in multiple mods to cut back on duplication/memory. One day we'll all find a happy medium... or a mod manager in game :)

I think being able to see the name of each mod is useful too, but it does make it hard for a dev who wants to use common textures/sounds in multiple mods to cut back on duplication/memory. One day we'll all find a happy medium... or a mod manager in game :)

I don't mind the folder names, usually something inside that folder gives a clue to what's there.

My Kerbal Alarm clock button is jammed up in the top left overlaying my time indicator. I can't seem to move it. When I click it, it moves my time indicator forward - and blocks my view of it. Can your button be moved? I'm running 1080p. Furthermore the button appears on my Space Center page before I go to any building. Annoying. Uninstall reinstall doesnt seem to fix it either. Downloaded latest version from spaceport.

My Kerbal Alarm clock button is jammed up in the top left overlaying my time indicator. I can't seem to move it. When I click it, it moves my time indicator forward - and blocks my view of it. Can your button be moved? I'm running 1080p. Furthermore the button appears on my Space Center page before I go to any building. Annoying. Uninstall reinstall doesnt seem to fix it either. Downloaded latest version from spaceport.

You can't move it by dragging. In the options there's a whole page devoted to where to place the indicator.

I'm torn on it. It seems clunky but it's nice to know I won't accidentally drag it around while clicking on it.

I have run into a bug where after editing the values under the specifics-2 tab on the settings (ie. time window for ignoring maneuver node alarm generation and time before node warp slow down) I entered one value, then changed it later, now these values keep switching to the values I first placed and have to readjust them every time. Also, if I do adjust them and then go to another ship and come back, they once again default to the first values I put in and don;t use my updated values. Any ideas on whats up? I can post screenshots if that would be more helpful in figuring out what it may be, just let me know.

Could I make a request? I am making this request as often as possible to as many mod makers as possible. The request being to simplify the naming inside gamedata.

Could you name the folder that goes into Gamedata as `KAC` or `Kerbal Alarm Clock` instead of `Triggertech` please? It would make things a lot easier when dealing with many mods.

Could I make a request? I am making this request as often as possible to as many mod makers as possible. The request being to simplify the naming inside gamedata.

Could you name the folder that goes into Gamedata as `KAC` or `Kerbal Alarm Clock` instead of `Triggertech` please? It would make things a lot easier when dealing with many mods.

I support this idea and will follow JohnFX around saying this.

(Actually I probably won't follow him around, but if I see his posts I will reply in support)

Edited by 5thHorseman

As 5thHorseman noted you can control all the visibility aspects from the visibility settings tab as seen here - https://sites.google.com/site/kerbalalarmclock/settings

If thats not working for you then let me know

I'm currently working on my other mod, and part of that work involves reorganising the folder structures. My current plans are that the TriggerTech folder will remain as there are some common resources I want to use to save memory/load times and need a common path, but inside that should be a single folder for all KAC and another for all KSPARP, and one for shared stuff. I "think" that's the best compromise I can get to with simplifying the folders and having shared resource. My only other idea was three folders in Gamedata (KAC, KSPARP and one other for Shared stuff - maybe prefix em all with TT (eg. TriggerTech-KAC, TriggerTech-KSPARP, TriggerTech-Shared)). That seems a bit weird to me, but I'm not yet firmly decided.

I have run into a bug where after editing the values under the specifics-2 tab on the settings (ie. time window for ignoring maneuver node alarm generation and time before node warp slow down) I entered one value, then changed it later, now these values keep switching to the values I first placed and have to readjust them every time. Also, if I do adjust them and then go to another ship and come back, they once again default to the first values I put in and don;t use my updated values. Any ideas on whats up? I can post screenshots if that would be more helpful in figuring out what it may be, just let me know.

Tis a new one to me JDobs, have checked the code and there doesn't seem to be anything obvious there. I've added it to the issue list for the project and will investigate it properly in a little bit. Trying to finish something else at the moment

I believe I've found a bug. Sometimes, after having selected a craft to launch (from the SPH, the VAB, or from the KSC screen), KSP hangs. The reason I think it's Kerbal Alarm Clock related is that the log hangs between two Alarm Clock entries. I.e. when everything works fine, two rows are output, but when KSP hangs, only the first row is output.

When working:

[LOG 12:12:19.116] 1/2/2014 12:12:19 PM,KerbalAlarmClock,Destroying the KerbalAlarmClock-KACSpaceCenter

[LOG 12:12:19.116] 1/2/2014 12:12:19 PM,KerbalAlarmClock,Destroying Toolbar Button

When freezing:

[LOG 12:17:04.699] 1/2/2014 12:17:04 PM,KerbalAlarmClock,Destroying the KerbalAlarmClock-KACSpaceCenter

Removing Kerbal Alarm Clock, I've thus far been unable to reproduce the bug.

EDIT: Spoke/Wrote too soon. I managed to trigger the bug even without Kerbal Alarm Clock. Will remove the rest of the mods one by one until I find the culprit.

Edited by DevL
Managed to reproduce without Kerbal Alarm Clock

I believe I've found a bug. Sometimes, after having selected a craft to launch (from the SPH, the VAB, or from the KSC screen), KSP hangs. The reason I think it's Kerbal Alarm Clock related is that the log hangs between two Alarm Clock entries. I.e. when everything works fine, two rows are output, but when KSP hangs, only the first row is output.

When working:

[LOG 12:12:19.116] 1/2/2014 12:12:19 PM,KerbalAlarmClock,Destroying the KerbalAlarmClock-KACSpaceCenter

[LOG 12:12:19.116] 1/2/2014 12:12:19 PM,KerbalAlarmClock,Destroying Toolbar Button

When freezing:

[LOG 12:17:04.699] 1/2/2014 12:17:04 PM,KerbalAlarmClock,Destroying the KerbalAlarmClock-KACSpaceCenter

Removing Kerbal Alarm Clock, I've thus far been unable to reproduce the bug.

EDIT: Spoke/Wrote too soon. I managed to trigger the bug even without Kerbal Alarm Clock. Will remove the rest of the mods one by one until I find the culprit.

No Probs - much better if people tell me than not - even if it gets sorted otherwise. Thanks

I've got a bug - if I right click on KAC in the Space Center screen, it moves the window off screen and there is no way to bring it back in game. Here is the result from config.xml :

<rect name="WindowPos_SpaceCenter">
<xmin>-10075</xmin>
<xmax>-9775</xmax>
<ymin>-10065</ymin>
<ymax>-9925</ymax>
</rect>

Of course, if I substitute some normal values, it works again.

I've got a bug - if I right click on KAC in the Space Center screen, it moves the window off screen and there is no way to bring it back in game. Here is the result from config.xml :

<rect name="WindowPos_SpaceCenter">
<xmin>-10075</xmin>
<xmax>-9775</xmax>
<ymin>-10065</ymin>
<ymax>-9925</ymax>
</rect>

Of course, if I substitute some normal values, it works again.

Ah, the good ole right click in spacecenter moves the mouse all over the place :) I didnt realise you could drag the windows with the right mouse button. Will fix that in the next release. Thanks

Hey, i have been having a really annoying problem here.. When i try to install the mod everything seems to go well except for one problem! All the .png files dont seem to be loading. for example the icon to open the alarm clock is there but its invisible and when i do open it all the icons for the buttons and what not dont show up! Please help! i have been having the same problem with other mods aswell :(

Hey, i have been having a really annoying problem here.. When i try to install the mod everything seems to go well except for one problem! All the .png files dont seem to be loading. for example the icon to open the alarm clock is there but its invisible and when i do open it all the icons for the buttons and what not dont show up! Please help! i have been having the same problem with other mods aswell :(

Usually this relates to the copying of the zip contents into the GameData location, and unfortunately there are lots of ways to package the zip, the dlls/parts always load, but button textures are problemmatic.

In the case of KAC the folders should look like this:

cQRTBzm.png

You can also see the specific path in the log file when it fails to load textures.

I dont think it will be related to the toolbar - this addin has no hard dependancies

Is it possible to reduce the spam written to the log? Alarm Clock writes a bunch of messages like "parsing bool", "parsing int", etc. when reading the config. Similar for "loading" textures (AFAIK the textures are already loaded during game startup, Alarm Clock only obtains pointers from GameDatabase class when it writes that).

Those messages not only make the log less readable, they might also hit performance, writing to log is a quite expensive operation. So could you remove the messages that don't have much significance in debugging, please?

P.S. The time at the beginning of messages is also quite redundant. KSP already prepends it (without date).

[LOG 22:58:55.467] 1/6/2014 10:58:55 PM,KerbalAlarmClock,Awakening the KerbalAlarmClock-KACSpaceCenter