[1.0.5] FASA 5.44

frizzank

From what I can tell from reading Wikipedia, NASA initially used the name NOVA for a series of designs with up to 5 F-1's. That became the Saturn V after Werner Von Braun and his team joined NASA. Then the name NOVA was used for more powerful designs aiming at Mars, for the post-Saturn/Apollo era. That's where the M-1 came in as a second stage engine, replacing the 5 J-2's.

BioHaZarD.PT.RaNDOmCaPs: RedAV8R has made a complete set of realism patches for FASA. You can get them from his thread, or bundled in Realism Overhaul. :)

NathanKell.NonRandomCaps: I did something similar with the Soyuz rocket from Bobcat's Soviet Pack. Makes a nice heavy lifter on Kerbin. Easily replaces frizzank's Saturn V in launching the Apollo CSM and LM to the Mun. Heretical, I know... :)

Great to hear about the Nova. Also, I've got a really small request. Could we get a 1.25m fairing nosecone half? Currently, there's only a single-part 1.25m nosecone, which doesn't work well when trying to launch something on the Atlas-Agena.

Great to hear about the Nova. Also, I've got a really small request. Could we get a 1.25m fairing nosecone half? Currently, there's only a single-part 1.25m nosecone, which doesn't work well when trying to launch something on the Atlas-Agena.

For what it's worth, with some minor work, using the existing models, a simple *.cfg could be made that'll give you what you want.

With regards to the textures, are they near final or are there any additional tweaks, like baked AO on the LEM and CSM textures? They look awesome though they seem overbright because of the brightness of the texture and multiplying an AO pass over the texture might bright that back around in line with the rest of the parts visually.

For what it's worth, with some minor work, using the existing models, a simple *.cfg could be made that'll give you what you want.

I know, but I want to share .craft files. I can't redistribute parts based on FASA, and I don't want a .craft file download to require ModuleManager and an additional mod to work. I'm requesting it precisely because it's easy to make.

Yeah, you missed you window, go tinker with procedural SRBs if you want this. :) Besides, a giant SRB is of limited utility in KSP (despite how awesome something like that seems).

From what I can tell from reading Wikipedia, NASA initially used the name NOVA for a series of designs with up to 5 F-1's. That became the Saturn V after Werner Von Braun and his team joined NASA. Then the name NOVA was used for more powerful designs aiming at Mars, for the post-Saturn/Apollo era. That's where the M-1 came in as a second stage engine, replacing the 5 J-2's.

The Nova being discussed on this thread is the Saturn C-8, a Nova-class proposed Saturn-family superbooster. There were many different Nova concepts.

The Nova being discussed on this thread is the Saturn C-8, a Nova-class proposed Saturn-family superbooster. There were many different Nova concepts.

This ^

Also BioHaZarD.PT, you can look at my post on page 297 for the links to all the proposed Nova rockets.

Let's not forget the Nova Silisko. That one is a pretty amazing design.

I've never heard of that Nova, and I can't find it in google. Unless your talking about the Dev.

Edited by GoldForest

I've never heard of that Nova, and I can't find it in google. Unless your talking about the Dev.

Joke-Goes-Over-Your-Head-Star-Trek-Gif.gif

Lol.. im sorry I found that gif and couldn't stop laughing I had to use it.

Now.. BioHaZarD you say the NOVA's were meant for Mars and so forth, but I was under the impression they were meant for the direct ascent approach for the lunar landing before the introduction of the LOR concept.

It'd be nice to have the M1 and even the NOVA first stage, but truth be told I would have a hard time utilizing the lift capacity of a Nova rocket here in KSP. I use FAR and even the Saturn V is overpowered. I gotta take a good quarter of the fuel out of each stage and throttle the F1's back to nearly 50% for a 1.5 twr. Im hard pressed to make a land and return payload heavy enough.

Edited by Motokid600

-image snip-

Lol.. im sorry I found that gif and couldn't stop laughing I had to use it.

Now.. BioHaZarD you say the NOVA's were meant for Mars and so forth, but I was under the impression they were meant for the direct ascent approach for the lunar landing before the introduction of the LOR concept.

It'd be nice to have the M1 and even the NOVA first stage, but truth be told I would have a hard time utilizing the lift capacity of a Nova rocket here in KSP. I use FAR and even the Saturn V is overpowered. I gotta take a good quarter of the fuel out of each stage and throttle the F1's back to nearly 50% for a 1.5 twr. Im hard pressed to make a land and return payload heavy enough.

The Nova was supposed to be made for direct ascent to the moon, but it was also was supposed to go to Mars.

Moon first, mars second.

Edited by GoldForest

Just some information I wanted to share.

My great grandfather worked on the Saturn V. I believe it was the guidance unit. I'll have to check with my father, but I'm pretty sure it was the guidance unit or the guidance computers.

The Nova was supposed to be made for direct ascent to the moon, but it was also was supposed to go to Mars.

Moon first, mars second.

To expand, as IIRC your earlier post mentions too, there were really two separate Nova (meta-)studies. The first was prior to ABMA's absorption into NASA; it was studying a direct ascent lunar booster, an "in house" competitor to the Army Ballistic Missile Agency's Saturn series. With ABMA's folding into NASA, NASA settled on using Saturn, and also switched to LOR (rather than direct ascent, or EOR-direct ascent).

The second was the set of studies (both in-house and from contractors) for larger million-pound-payload boosters. These are more what's thought of as Nova-the-super-booster.

The Army Ballistic Missile Agency was what Von Braun's group was called, from between the time the Army snatched them up in '45 until they got transferred to NASA and renamed Marshall Space Flight Center. They were placed in Huntsville, Alabama, near/at the Redstone Arsenal (hence their first project was called the Redstone missile). Jupiter was their last missile project; they began designing Saturn ("the one after Jupiter") for the Army's launch needs for Project Horizon (the Army, like the Navy and the Air Force, had a lunar exploration plan).

C.f. Von Braun, Project Horizon. Good writeups here:

http://falsesteps.wordpress.com/?s=army+saturn&submit=Search

The Saturn V is a direct descendant of the V-2

Well, the Redstone was, so the Saturn must have been as well. There wasn't too much difference between the V-2 and the Redstone propulsion and vectoring system as well. Interesting how these designes are linked together.

C.f. Von Braun, Project Horizon. Good writeups here:

http://falsesteps.wordpress.com/?s=a...&submit=Search

Thanks for the info and the link!

And the J-2 and M-1 were for LUNEX (the sustainers for the small/medium and the large SLS launch vehicles). The 120" SRMs (research on which led to UA120x SRMs) were the stage-0 boosters for SLS. The RL-10 was to be the lander's descent/ascent engine.

Project LUNEX on Astronautix.

Note: LUNEX was insanely optimistic regarding both time and hardware. Don't get your hopes up.

LUNEX was insanely optimistic regarding both time and hardware.

Weren't the 60's great? What the article states in the first paragraph is interesting. If LUNEX would have been continued a shuttle and solid fuel boosters could have came earlier. I never really thought about it earlier but sounds like a better way than Apollo mostly because of budgetary constraints. It would have been cheaper. Of course technical difficulties is another case. I guess the no.1 thing caused the USAF most of the headache was re-entering a glider from lunar orbit. I've never even tried that in the game.

The Saturn V is a direct descendant of the V-2

I know that the Saturn I and IB first stages used clustered tanks, which were directly descended from the V2. But how is the Saturn V descended from the V2? I'd like to know.

Reddragon: Mark Wade (of Astronautix) has about 99 bones to pick with NASA; I'd take everything he writes with a (decently-sized) grain of salt. For example it's far from clear that solid-boosted hydrolox is all that great of a thing, let alone that a lifting body RV is useful (if you don't need crossrange, wings are worth less than nothing). SLS would have been better than STS, but then again almost anything would have been.

While solid-boosted hydrolox is cheaper than kerolox-boosted hydrolox (that's why NASA scaled back from liquid to solid boosters for STS), what's expensive here is the hydrolox part. A pure kerolox LV is actually cheaper, IIRC, and certainly less dangerous for crewed missions. Solids and crew are a bad mix.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.